my 30yo IBM model M died...;(..is there a modren equal?

Holyghost23

so my dad, who is a computer scientist, on my third birthday gave me a 1982 IBM model M that he modified to ps2..after many years of hard gaming and key bashing.. the springs have worn out to the point that its no longer usable. ive been trying to source new springs or a rebuilt kit. but i haven't found anything that works. ive looked into modren keyboards. but they are all junk sheet metal knocks offs.. does anyone make a modern bucking spring keyboard?.. if not, I have a business idea.. and would love some investors.

i dont think there's any ones being made today, but you can always try to source a still woking keyboard out on the interwebz, even if it is nasty its the functional bits that matter.

past that, may be the time to switch to "modern" mechanical keyswitches from the likes of cherry.

as for a buisiness idea, the market would be too small for it to be profitable.

5 minutes ago, Holyghost23 said:

does anyone make a modern bucking spring keyboard?.. if not, I have a business idea.. and would love some investors.

Are they so special im asking because never used a Keyboard like this. Whats so special about them that you would prefer them over mechanical ones. 

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i dont think there's any ones being made today, but you can always try to source a still woking keyboard out on the interwebz, even if it is nasty its the functional bits that matter.

past that, may be the time to switch to "modern" mechanical keyswitches from the likes of cherry.

as for a buisiness idea, the market would be too small for it to be profitable.

if they can make stupid wood keyboard for 1400 bucks.. why cant i make an elite gaming keyboard for the same price.. that is made just like the old ibm's but with modern rgb shit., just teach people what a bucking spring is and why it's better.

2 minutes ago, Klemmbrett said:

Are they so special im asking because never used a Keyboard like this. Whats so special about them that you would prefer them over mechanical ones. 

they are built like a tank. they click louder than the loudest cherry mx switchs, bucking springs never break, they wear out.. but its a keyboard older than most of the fourm members.. i donno any modern keyboard that is built as well.

3 minutes ago, Klemmbrett said:

It's a really cut and dry feeling, you eighter love or hate it . But imagine having like pogo stick at the end of your finger when you type, its a bit like that haha

4 minutes ago, divito said:

Unicomp still makes buckling spring keyboards. They bought the licensing and tooling from Lexmark over 20 years ago.

https://www.pckeyboard.com/

linus needs to review these guys..  im in love.

https://www.getdigital.de/Buckling-Spring-Keyboard-Ultra-Classic-White.html?variant=11836&gclid=Cj0KCQiAp8fSBRCUARIsABPL6JZ5g6qlIKbtk1bhDX1Du-cQ7kZ7ldSVIfsrWLJjfsaE-FJ1OWiTovoaAmENEALw_wcB
They(Unicomp) bought IBM patent and build this things up to today and sell them as german and us layouts. But with USB not PS2 i dont know if thats a deal breaker for you. 

4 minutes ago, Holyghost23 said:

they are built like a tank. they click louder than the loudest cherry mx switchs, bucking springs never break, they wear out.. but its a keyboard older than most of the fourm members.. i donno any modern keyboard that is built as well.

i have a rubberdome from 1993 thats still flawless. as for modern keyboards.. i'd dare to bet on the majority of keyboards with cherry MX switches from big brands.

and the ckickyness.. is more of a downside for most people who dont live in a soundproof bunker on their own.

1 minute ago, Klemmbrett said:

yeah someone beat you to it.. i never knew about these guys...someone should inform Linus.. instead of reviewing stupid japaense maple, and weird ergonomic keyboards, he should give these guys a review

1 minute ago, Holyghost23 said:

linus needs to review these guys..  im in love.

Would probably help their business a bit.

When I was active at Geekhack, they were always criticized by keyboard enthusiasts because they offered far less options in the past, and weren't spending money innovating or expanding their product lines despite owning the rights. Over time, they've slowly improved and grown a bit in their options.

We still have M 122s at work here, and it's always fun to use them. We have some wrapped spare ones in storage too, but they'd require an adapter to make use of them on a modern computer. We still have a couple old green screen PCs, hence the extras.

I already own 7 mechanical keyboards, but a Unicomp for my collection is still on my list to get.

5 minutes ago, Holyghost23 said:

i never knew about these guys

Maybe its because im in germany and its a german company but it was first google hit for me after i type in buckling spring keyboard :)

3 minutes ago, Klemmbrett said:

Maybe its because im in germany and its a german company but it was first google hit for me after i type in buckling spring keyboard :)

now everything makes sense.. the best stuff is always german.

4 minutes ago, Holyghost23 said:

now everything makes sense.. the best stuff is always german.

I think he meant the retailer. Unicomp is in Kentucky.

1 minute ago, divito said:

I think he meant the retailer. Unicomp is in Kentucky.

that would make more sense.. i wonder what shipping to canada is like..

1 hour ago, Holyghost23 said:

that would make more sense.. i wonder what shipping to canada is like..

Shipping Method
Price
U.S.P.S. Priority Mail® 6-10 Days $56.15
Standard Shipping Z1 $57.56
U.S.P.S. Priority Mail Express 3-5 Days $79.55

Chose an Ultra Classic and that's what came up.

So you're looking at $174 CAD total. We kind of get screwed shipping-wise, but the keyboard only comes to $105 CAD on its own, which is perfectly reasonable. Just need a better way to ship it.

i wish they had a distributor in Canada lol.. shipping is a bit steep..  if trump wants people to buy American made.. maybe he should make shipping and export charges less.

• 3 years later...
18 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Does the company offer Backlighting on their keyboards?

No, not yet. In my subreddit's (r/ModelM) FAQ with Unicomp last year, they said they are actively developing backlighting. But, slowly, likely since it doesn't concern their biggest customers, which are companies like General Electric and Affirmative Computer Products, not enthusiasts. But as interest grows and supply of older Model Ms dry up, Unicomp may  eventually see the potential of catering to customers. I mean, they already started to with the upcoming tenkeyless Mini M.

Shark lover, Software dev + research student, game dev, web dev, curator of IBMium keyboards and ThinkPads, r/ModelM mod.

My PC: Ryzen 9 5950X, MSI B450-A PRO MAX, 32GB (4x8) DDR4-3000, RTX 4080, Corsair 5000X, 500GB NVMe for boot & IDEs + 1x120GB SSD for repos + 1TB 7200RPM for games library, Corsair RM850e, Windows 11 Pro + Arch Linux.