In Hindsight...Infamous Tech Industry Predictions and Quotations

exyia

http://www.techspot.com/article/754-tech-predictions-and-quotes/

I found this article very fun to read, and hopefuly a reminder to fanboys/internet trolls to not blow mere statements out of proportion. But a fun read nonetheless!

my favorite gem:

“Above all, what we'll never see fly is the scanner / printer / fax / copier combo” – John C. Dvorak [PC Magazine, November 27, 1990]

“In the future, the primary means of communication with computers will be through speech, not through graphics”

– Nicholas Negroponte, director of MIT's Media Lab.

[bYTE, November 1989]

I mean he's not completely wrong 

Error: 410

You would think that John C. Dvorak would eventually catch on when all his predictions are almost polar opposites of what actually happens.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

And being the ever present observationalist, These guys are well experienced in there field, they had inside knowledge and expensive research forecasts.  Yet they still get it wrong sometimes, which makes me wonder about our predictions and how many of them will be right.

You know how everyone is saying how the console is dead, and windows won't survive and linux is going to take over.  I keep hearing it adnauseum on these forums.  Are we that sure we know whats going on?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/82576-what-are-your-10-15-year-predictions/

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/74995-do-you-think-consoles-will-be-obsolete-in-5-8-years/

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

ahahahahhaha :P

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------

“What would I do? I'd shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders”– Michael Dell, Chairman/CEO of Dell Computers said when asked what he would do if he was CEO of Apple

The original Apple hater.

"The era of the PC is over"

Louis Gerstner, July 1999.

good thing that statement was never made ever again in the history of man....or in recent times

C WUT I DID THAR? :rolleyes:

Here are a few that I've seen on this as well as other forums regarding smartphones, and I think every single one has been wrong, or will be wrong:

"A 720p screen is overkill in a phone"

"We don't need 1080p screens, 720 is more than enough"

"A dual core CPU at 1GHz in a phone is just ridiculous. Completely unnecessary"

"A quad core CPU in a phone is stupid. We don't need that much power"

"Do you really need a 2GHz quad core in a phone? No you don't!"

"You don't really need LTE in a phone, HSPA is fast enough"

"You don't need 1GB of RAM in your phone"

"You don't need 2GB of RAM in your phone"

"You don't need 3GB of RAM in your phone"

I also love when anyone says "X is good enough" when talking about technology. We should never stop at "good enough" when it comes to technology.

This is really quite fascinating, and as seen throughout human history, we have generally predicted technological advancements but have expected them too soon.

ELEPHANT SEALS EVERYWHERE!