Mini News: Team Xecuter tease a mod chip for Switch, all firmware compatible and unpatchable

Master Disaster

Team Xecuter, the guys who cracked the security on the OG Xbox and were first to release a modchip for it are back. Today they just dropped a teaser video showing the Switch running a custom boot loader.

The modchip is rumoured to be a TX1 glitch style device that will allow for full kernel & userland access, will grant privileged access to the full system, will allow for custom firmware installation and yes, will allow for piracy too.

Not much more to say yet, the teaser video is all they've released but Team Xecuter members on the forum claim it will be ready for public sale in Spring 2018. As proof of their success the team has posted encryption keys for the stage 2 boot loader so this is looking genuine.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/team-xecuter-announces-future-proof-switch-exploit.493187/

Well that didn't take long at all. In all honesty I see this as a good thing. Systems which are fully cracked tend to do well exactly because of the freedom it allows.

Piracy is bad for a system but homebrew is good for a system.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

32 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Tell that to GoG.com, they dont seem to be bothered that much about it...

what do you mean?

My PC Specs: CPU: Core i5 4590 @ stock speeds, GPU: RX 480 8GB, RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1600mhz

Case: Zalman ZM-T4,Motherboard: GigaByte GA-H81M-S2H LGA 1150, HDD/SSD: 2TB Seagate Expansion drive, 1TB Samsung Portable HDD, 160gb Intel SSD, PSU: 550w corsair cxm

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

2 minutes ago, XplosiveNoctua99 said:

what do you mean?

every game on gog is drm free

2 minutes ago, XplosiveNoctua99 said:

what do you mean?

He means that even tho the games are DRM-free, they still sell.

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

lol i thought he meant that GOG supplies pirated versions of games.

of course i know that all GOG games are DRM Free... just a misunderstanding haha

My PC Specs: CPU: Core i5 4590 @ stock speeds, GPU: RX 480 8GB, RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1600mhz

Case: Zalman ZM-T4,Motherboard: GigaByte GA-H81M-S2H LGA 1150, HDD/SSD: 2TB Seagate Expansion drive, 1TB Samsung Portable HDD, 160gb Intel SSD, PSU: 550w corsair cxm

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

just give me netflix already...

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

I might get a Switch now. One that doesn't come with a game ;).

I hope their quality is the same, the chips these dudes made for the OG Xbox are legendary.

time to buy a switch! Was convinced when the news for the homebrew launcher came, this makes it even better 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

51 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

time to buy a switch! Was convinced when the news for the homebrew launcher came, this makes it even better 

I thought the same thing but the fear of having a firmware that wouldnt be supported stopped me. With this it is much more likely a game changer. Hopefully it is no solder solution but first gen mod chips normally are not.

Piracy is not bad, allows people to enjoy games that otherwise could not afford to buy it and ever won't.

1 hour ago, Matu20 said:

Piracy is not bad, allows people to enjoy games that otherwise could not afford to buy it and ever won't.

Just because you cant afford something, does not mean you should be able to get it for free.

9 minutes ago, lieder1987 said:

Just because you cant afford something, does not mean you should be able to get it for free.

And why not if it doesn't hurt any other party? Basically a win-neutral scenario, no one loses.

31 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

And why not if it doesn't hurt any other party? Basically a win-neutral scenario, no one loses.

When you purchase a game it goes to the company, who then have to pay employees. If people dont pay for the game then that company might not make more games which causes loss of jobs, loss of revenue, etc. So I wouldnt agree that it is a win - neutral scenario. Someone always looses with stealing.

Good, I just hope nintendo aren't asshats about it by banning homebrew users from online interactions.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I was actually planning on picking one of these up for my PS2, but I don't have a soldering iron for it(yet)

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

On 04/01/2018 at 5:25 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

I was actually planning on picking one of these up for my PS2, but I don't have a soldering iron for it(yet)

PS2? Why on earth would you do that?

FreeMCBoot is well free, takes a single memory card, does everything a modchip would do and you can just unplug the card and go back to stock anytime you like.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

On 04/01/2018 at 5:22 PM, Sauron said:

Good, I just hope nintendo aren't asshats about it by banning homebrew users from online interactions.

The general good point of a hard mod over a soft mod is you can usually turn the chip off and go back to stock at any time.

Nintendo banning modders isn't a bad thing, MK8 on Wii U is literally unplayable in online mode these days, EVERYONE is running trainers.

11 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

The general good point of a hard mod over a soft mod is you can usually turn the chip off and go back to stock at any time.

Nintendo banning modders isn't a bad thing, MK8 on Wii U is literally unplayable in online mode these days, EVERYONE is running trainers.

Yes, but if they ban your console you're screwed.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 1/4/2018 at 10:58 AM, lieder1987 said:

When you purchase a game it goes to the company, who then have to pay employees. If people dont pay for the game then that company might not make more games which causes loss of jobs, loss of revenue, etc. So I wouldnt agree that it is a win - neutral scenario. Someone always looses with stealing.

To be fair, there's a lot of dev and publishing companies that deserve exactly that (EA, Ubisoft, etc).

Also piracy isn't actually stealing. Stealing deprives someone of ownership and or possession. Piracy is illegal copying/manufacturing/distribution.

Also worth pointing out that Nintendo regularly disregards copyright law and files false DMCA's as well as monitizing and claiming ownership of videos they have no rights to (under fair use) on youtube. So it's basically morally okay, by Nintendo's own rules, to pirate their shit.

I'm simply saying that it's morally acceptable. Not encouraging anyone to actually go steal Nintendo stuff because that's illegal. Morally your fine but the law says otherwise.

In Nintendo's mind, this thread belongs to them because it's about them. Make a video that has any pictures sound or video from one of their games? Even if it's a completely legal review? Nope, belongs to them entirely.

On 1/4/2018 at 12:22 PM, Sauron said:

Pretty much guaranteed that their legal department is frothing at the mouth apoplectic over this right now.

It's Nintendo. They hate anything that makes their products better than they intended....for some crazy f**king reason.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs