HD600 or wait for HD6XX

Jz1

Massdrop has the HD6XX right now for $199.99 so check those out if you may.

$275 AUD for HD6XX or $450 AUD for the HD600.

I have the Schiit Fulla 2 which I know the HD650 can run off but I've heard it runs better with higher end amps.

I've researched the major differences and I know the 6XX (650) has a darker and more colored sound but I'm not sure what that really means.

So to conclude, do you think its worth $170 extra for the HD600s?

Sennheiser HD600 Logitech G304 White Anne Pro 2 LG27UL500

Ryzen 5 3600 + MSI B450i Gaming Plus AC in Fractal Design Nano S

HD650 is a little darker

HD600 is a bit shoutier

The difference is small so it's your choice.

Why not get 650s if you are going to spend extra money so this is a fair comparison? Personally I would wait. The 650s many find a more enjoyable can. The 600s are the kings of neutrality. Very flat sound signature with narrow sound stage and light bass. The 650s add sound stage and low end at the sacrifice of a little bit of detail. But it makes for a more enjoyable sound.

11 minutes ago, seduce_me said:

HD650 is a little darker

HD600 is a bit shoutier

The difference is small so it's your choice.

What does darker mean in the audio world?

Sennheiser HD600 Logitech G304 White Anne Pro 2 LG27UL500

Ryzen 5 3600 + MSI B450i Gaming Plus AC in Fractal Design Nano S

Why not wait for Goku to get offensive ultra instinct then decide? Btw if somehow Goku beats Jiren 1v1 it will be such an ass pull and i will be def done with DBZ.

57 minutes ago, Sabron said:

What does darker mean in the audio world?

Darker means more bassy. In this case there is not a large difference but the HD650s are still considered "darker" than the HD600s. Likewise bright means treble-inclined. The HD800s are bright, Beyerdynamic headphones are bright. You get the gist.

40 minutes ago, seduce_me said:

Darker means more bassy. In this case there is not a large difference but the HD650s are still considered "darker" than the HD600s. Likewise bright means treble-inclined. The HD800s are bright, Beyerdynamic headphones are bright. You get the gist.

Eh? While I agree that 'dark' means more lower frequency, I believe it also meant that it lacks highs/treble, hence the term 'dark'....as oppose to 'bright'. To me, even if a pair of can lack bass, if it also lack the high frequency/treble, I tend to think of it as 'dark' as well. I'd described the LCD2.2 nF as being dark, while it bass is meaty and full (NOT basshead level), its highs seemed to be lacking to me, hence my not liking it and selling it away. Maybe I'd gotten my wires crossed somewhere.:/

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

10 minutes ago, GamerDude said:

Eh? While I agree that 'dark' means more lower frequency, I believe it also meant that it lacks highs/treble, hence the term 'dark'....as oppose to 'bright'. To me, even if a pair of can lack bass, if it also lack the high frequency/treble, I tend to think of it as 'dark' as well. I'd described the LCD2.2 nF as being dark, while it bass is meaty and full (NOT basshead level), its highs seemed to be lacking to me, hence my not liking it and selling it away. Maybe I'd gotten my wires crossed somewhere.:/

I agree with you. Dark means relaxed highs with recessed vocals. The way I describe something dark like the 6XXs vs something bright and treble heavy like the M50Xs is, the M50Xs I describe as an over ear in ear. They push so much detail and are so bright it sounds like it’s shoving the sound right down your ear. I swear they sound like an IEM to me, it’s the weirdest thing. A dark headphone like the 6XXs they just got place the sound there in the cups and you just listen to it. It’s not harsh at all. It’s a very pleasant experience.