Starting with C++

Recently I have gotten back into programming, and though I have learned a decent bit of Java in the past, I decided to give C++ a try. I've found basic tutorials and such online from people such as Thenewboston, but many of them are fairly out of date it seems, or extremely uninteresting. I was curious, where do many others learn these languages when not in school for it? Any suggestions would be much appreciated! (If its a specific youtube video, a link would be great too!)

Most people teach themselves.

They start coming up with their own ideas and doing their own projects and just google things along the way or read the documentation.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, Slicercrush said:

but many of them are fairly out of date it seems

The core concepts of programming for a given paradigm do not go out of date. Also, the general syntax of a language generally does not have an expiration date either.

Generally, the best way I've found (if you are trying to really learn) is to buy the textbooks that your local highly accredited university uses and read them while working on personal projects. Unfortunately my university does not use a text book for general C++, expecting you to have a very solid foundation in Python before moving to Data Structures and after having passed discrete structures. At that point they throw you into the fire and expect you to be able to start learning language syntax very quickly.

If you are not extremely confident in your fundamentals, you might try Programming, Principles and Practice Using C++.

If you are cash flush, and really want to learn how to program well you might start here, although that book is incomplete and is beginning to look like it may never be fully complete (bonus points to anyone who can guess what I'm talking about without clicking the link)

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

At this point in time there are no tutorial series which would cover c++ language from a to z(as far as I know). Most of them focus on the cool stuff and do not cover other less popular but still important topics. In either case you will have to learn these less popular topics in order to be successful. So I would strongly suggest to skip these videos altogether and go with books instead. Whatever you do try to avoid Thenewboston tutorials or the community in general.

I learned C++ by learning OpenGL and taking a course on the principles of operating systems. Main thing I learned from OS was threading (specifically pthreads although the concepts apply in other threading implementations too) while otherwise everything else was learned through trying to do graphics. Since the course I took to teach me graphics was basically useless the primary source I used to learn opengl was https://learnopengl.com/ while the primary source for learning ray tracing was https://www.scratchapixel.com/

haven't read the book but Bjarne Stroustrup's Principles and Practice using C++. it is written by the fellow who designed C++, Stroustrup. plus it's aimed at beginners (he also has books for advanced) 

just avoid books that headline learning C++ in "something" hours / days 

edit: oops someone has already linked it

I really really really really (with a passion) hate every online tutorial for learning code, I think and bet that coding could be taught in under 10 minutes.

But a couple important things about C++

No natural networking libraries.
Code is compiled top down instead of dynamically (which Im sure is just a general code feature)
And the only IDE that makes it "easy" to create a UI is Visual Studio (I quote the words easy because I have only found one tutorial online on how to use the bloody UI builder and it was so back water I don't think I can find it again (so stick to the console app I guess??)).

After I learned c++ I kinda wanted to learn java because its so low level.
I really liked androids java though (Its beautifully simple compared to C++)

2 hours ago, Ailithic said:

And the only IDE that makes it "easy" to create a UI is Visual Studio (I quote the words easy because I have only found one tutorial online on how to use the bloody UI builder and it was so back water I don't think I can find it again (so stick to the console app I guess??)).

Have you tried QT?

9 hours ago, Ailithic said:

Is there a free version of it?

QT is free... As long as you dynamically link against QT libraries, do not deny that your application uses QT and all modifications and optimizations to the QT source code are shared with the QT community.

Ill check it out for sure ty.

EDIT: Don't mean to bump sorry, Yeah qt looks perfect, looks like a lot of things were stopping me when I was trying to get an IDE with a UI designer. Kinda thought you would need the entire 32gb download till I actually looked.. they should have a download tutorial for it.

Eh umm does qt come with networking libraries (just GET etc is all I'll need haha), I kinda just cheated and used the Curl executable :)