Gaming build. Looking for opinions and suggestions.

Nouxau

Hello, comrades I'm building a system for gaming in 1440p. It's my first build in a while so I would appreciate some input on what can be changed. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xdL63F

Budget & Location:  Under $2000 USD but the lower the better.

Aim:  I play different kinds of games so i don't even know if I can be specific here.

Monitors: 1 monitor for now but i am planning on getting a second one down the road

Peripherals: I'll need a better keyboard and a monitor but count that separately. Also monitor suggestions are welcome. 

My main point of concern is mobo. I know that Crosshair VI Hero might be an overkill and I was looking at some other options. Asus - STRIX X370-F GAMING https://pcpartpicker.com/product/B698TW/asus-strix-x370-f-gaming-atx-am4-motherboard-strix-x370-f-gaming However, It seems to be out of stock at merchants who offer a significantly lower price and for $35 (after rebate) difference I might as well get Hero. Also it seems like people are having more luck overclocking G.Skill RGB ram on Hero. The other choice might be Asus - STRIX B350-F, but I'm not sure how overclocking will work on it. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ZHyxFT/asus-strix-b350-f-gaming-atx-am4-motherboard-strix-b350-f-gaming

So what do you guys think? Is nicer IO and a couple of extra parts worth it or should I just wait for cheaper one to be back in stock? Any other suggestions?

Also what do you guys think about the cooler choice. I'm new to liquid coolers and just kind of played it by ear. Is my choice good enough or should I go for something else?

Thanks

get an i7 8700 instead for gaming, performs better. you're spending way too much on the ram, there should be some cheaper kits out there that are still rgb. you don't need the 2 ssds and the 960 evo.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Q66Yyf

1) That is my build, I game at 1440p and 144Hz, phenomenal. 

2) For god's sake change the cooler. IDK what it is but I think I lost the silicon lottery. This thing runs hot, and that cooler is huge. EDIT: This is in reference to MY cooler

3) The 1080 might be overkill, but I also wanted the 144 Hz.

4) The B350 should overclock just fine. 

If you plan on crossfire in the future, then go with the X370, but I tend to go for price (reasonably speaking) when looking at mobos, just prioritize your features. If you need wi-fi, then look for a board with built-in wi-fi, rather than an expansion card, which is what I did (the expansion card thing)

5) Why not just buy a 1TB SSD at that point.

Also EDIT: Higher clocks will game better than more cores. 8700k or even the 8600k will be very good.

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  ($390.98 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($46.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($156.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team - Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($169.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial - MX300 1.1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($237.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black Edition Video Card  ($749.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1932.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-26 21:40 EST-0500

:)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  ($390.98 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: EVGA - CLC 240 74.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($186.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team - Night Hawk RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($181.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial - BX300 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($74.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB AORUS Video Card  ($769.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Corsair - Crystal 460X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1914.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-26 21:43 EST-0500

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

I was thinking about going Intel but decided to go with Ryzen. The system will also be used for image editing and code compiling so I figured I might as well get Ryzen and take advantage of those extra cores.

In regards to SSD, I already have SSD and HDD (got them on sale some time ago) so the only thing I'm actually going to be buying is M.2 SSD for the speed. so that's like -$200 already. 

38 minutes ago, Nouxau said:

So you already own a 1440p 60hz monitor?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

So you already own a 1440p 60hz monitor?

No, but it is going to be bought separately. 

1 minute ago, Nouxau said:

No, but it is going to be bought separately. 

then spend some of the money in the build on a better monitor, like a $399 1440p 144hz IPS display, or a 4k 60hz IPS display

Like you don't need that motherboard, the really overpriced RAM, why the multiple SSDs?

The mastercase pro 6 is a bad case, go for the mastercase 5 with it's front mesh by comparison

and get a Seasonic FOCUS Gold PSU

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Nouxau said:

I was thinking about going Intel but decided to go with Ryzen. The system will also be used for image editing and code compiling so I figured I might as well get Ryzen and take advantage of those extra cores.

In regards to SSD, I already have SSD and HDD (got them on sale some time ago) so the only thing I'm actually going to be buying is M.2 SSD for the speed. so that's like -$200 already. 

check if the programs you're using perform better on ryzen or coffeelake before buying the cpu. the 8700/k would perform better in photoshop.

2 hours ago, Streetguru said:

The mastercase pro 6 is a bad case, go for the mastercase 5 with it's front mesh by comparison

Why is it a bad case? 

13 minutes ago, Nouxau said:

Why is it a bad case? 

Because it abandoned the front mesh of the Pro 5

Spoiler