Folding@Home Install Guide and Links - LinusTechTips_Team - 223518

Well, I just downloaded Folding@Home and have started the process. Until next month it's just going to be my G3258 folding away on it's own. Next month I'll be adding a couple GPUs and a 4790K to the mix. Anyways, I used the same name there as I post under here. It's going to take about 14 hours to do my first unit.

Welcome to the Fold :)

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

When you do folding, can you select which GPU runs the software, and can you start/stop at your own discretion?

indeed you can, you can pause it as you want or just remove a gpu entirely. 

I have a gtx 970 and a amd 7950 gpu in my computer. The 970 is folding

24/7 while the 7950 is acting as my daily driver.

indeed you can, you can pause it as you want or just remove a gpu entirely. 

I have a gtx 970 and a amd 7950 gpu in my computer. The 970 is folding

24/7 while the 7950 is acting as my daily driver.

Hmm, any added problems with that kind of setup? ..with games and so on?

I mean my HD7970 was power hungry, but i could add it to my main gameing/floding system(on profile), without big hiccups?

Hmm, any added problems with that kind of setup? ..with games and so on?

I mean my HD7970 was power hungry, but i could add it to my main gameing/floding system(on profile), without big hiccups?

I myself haven't had a single problem, no instabilities,

no clashing between the hardware, no problems with

games or anything else. They are just working separately

pretty flawless. I don't notice it except for the fact that there

is another gpu somewhere throwing out extra heat, and

making my psu scream/whine when both gpu's are under

heavy load.

I wouldn't attempt this on your 520 watt psu though.

That would really really be pushing the limits..  

Well, i have Corsair's AX1200 next to me, with no job from dual HD5970 days.

But then again, i like more of silent room as i also sleep here with my PC runing.

At the moment my system takes 220W from wall with full load so yeah added 7970 would bring it next to top with low fan case and so on not so good for future (as Fanless PSU).

But sorry for the OT all!!! and Thx for the info, Tobben! ...we will see what happends...

Well, i have Corsair's AX1200 next to me, with no job from dual HD5970 days.

But then again, i like more of silent room as i also sleep here with my PC runing.

At the moment my system takes 220W from wall with full load so yeah added 7970 would bring it next to top with low fan case and so on not so good for future (as Fanless PSU).

But sorry for the OT all!!! and Thx for the info, Tobben! ...we will see what happends...

My particular psu is known to be very noisy at high loads, but

At this point i can't fall asleep if i can't hear my server or daily pc.

With fans going *wooosh* all around me :P, just feels like i'm misplaced.

I'm surprised you are only drawing 220 watts from the wall with a 980

and 4670k at full load. That should pretty much be impossible. Unless

you have done some serious underclocking. 

With full load, i menth "Full load of FaH client". But, i have it allways pluged in on wall meter, so if you have other prog in maind to use for this then tell me and i show you the results B)

It has bean while when i looked my CPU, but what i member is that it didnt like to overclock much even if it is "K"
Heres a picture of this power draw. Sorry for the mess :Pgallery_15101_2213_223201.jpg

Messy pic. so.... that lighted up white/gray thing under my monitor is that wall meter i talked about and CPU-Z tells that my CPU is runing @4,2GHz on 1,192v

Yo I joined! :D

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

I just started with my 4690k =P

Thanks for the guide though!

Would an older i3 370M come in handy? If so, I'm joining later today and leaving my laptop running 24/7.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Would an older i3 370M come in handy? If so, I'm joining later today and leaving my laptop running 24/7.

I ran my Macbook Pro with an ivy-bridge i5 24/7 for a week or so. Anything comes in handy - just that somethings come in more handy than others. I wouldn't really recommend doing it on a laptop at full folding speed (maybe low-medium speed) unless you have some form of exotic cooling solution for it. You don't exactly want to fry your laptop now do you :P

I feel happy - I finally get to help Captain_WD with an issue instead of the other way round. Tables have turned aye?

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Joined!

x9ekaXul.png

CPU: Ryzen 5800X | GPU: RTX 3080 FE | Board: x570 Aorus Master | RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ | Case: Phanteks 719

Have Joined

Not sure what the difference is between: 

http://folding.stanford.edu/client/ 

http://folding.stanford.edu/nacl/

If someone could tell me that would be great  :)

Also wondering if there was some software that could be used that is not web based

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless.

–Thomas Edison

Have Joined

Also wondering if there was some software that could be used that is not web based

Go here http://folding.stanford.edu/ to download the software. The "software" version allows you to run SMP/CPU WU's and GPU WU's. Puts more load on the system

The web based solution uses small WU's and is CPU only. Basically you complete a lot of WU's but won't earn a ton of points. Excellent solution though for lower end / older CPU's and Laptops - typically on "light" doesn't generate much heat.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

A big Welcome to all the new Folders who have joined the team!

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

I ran my Macbook Pro with an ivy-bridge i5 24/7 for a week or so. Anything comes in handy - just that somethings come in more handy than others. I wouldn't really recommend doing it on a laptop at full folding speed (maybe low-medium speed) unless you have some form of exotic cooling solution for it. You don't exactly want to fry your laptop now do you :P

I feel happy - I finally get to help Captain_WD with an issue instead of the other way round. Tables have turned aye?

hehe, appreciated! :) 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

Joined!

Have Joined

Welcome to Fold :)

Question for all you kids: I have a spare 460GTX just sitting here. Would it be worth putting into my PC to fold with 24/7?

CPU: Ryzen 5800X | GPU: RTX 3080 FE | Board: x570 Aorus Master | RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ | Case: Phanteks 719

Question for all you kids: I have a spare 460GTX just sitting here. Would it be worth putting into my PC to fold with 24/7?

Yes 100% it would.

:) everything counts :)

I would try the f@h app for google chrome I use it on a old laptop and I get a bit more PPD then when i used the desktop app.

Yes 100% it would.

I would try the f@h app for google chrome I use it on a old laptop and I get a bit more PPD then when i used the desktop app.

Will try that :) Thanks!

Just joined with win7 (in browser) and Arch Linux...Is here anyone running f@h on Arch? (I need some help...)

Just joined with win7 (in browser) and Arch Linux...Is here anyone running f@h on Arch? (I need some help...)

Not that I know of. Start a new thread describing the problem, screen shots and such and we will take it from there. :)