8700k and 1080 ti power supply recommendation?

Melodist
1 minute ago, seon123 said:

The fan is controlled by the internal temperature, which will increase with an increased load. So it's still temperature controlled. 

In Anandtech's review of the 1080 Ti FE, the system drew about 400W at the wall with an AX1200i and an overclocked 4960X under Furmark and Crysis 3. So I seriously doubt that your PC would use over 100W more than that. 

So you're telling me that you're going to hear a 10dBA PSU fan even with the CPU and GPU fans under a heavy load? Somehow?

I already came with an example that showed that a higher capacity PSU can be noisier than a lower wattage PSU. There is no good generalisation; a quiet PSU will be quieter than a noisy PSU, regardless of the max wattage.

Go to Cybenetics' website, you'll find lots of quiet low wattage PSUs, and lots of louder higher wattage PSUs. 

I'm just going off of charts from manufacturers websites man.

Capture.PNG.5c148f3a8904a03edb12f58ac0e4039a.PNG

From my current PSU: Silverstone SX800 LTI

To me that reads load wattage and not a conversion to temp.

As far as my systems usage: I have a kill-a-watt, and unless I'm remembering when I tried to fit my 5960X into this case (and failed on thermals) that's what it uses.

6 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I would imagine you're looking at a chart like this.

Yes, but from the manufacturers website. If that's what they are doing, then that's fine, but it reads like a pure load based chart and that's what I have to go off of.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

Noise level of a PSU doesnt really have much to do with capacity. Some power supplies are quiet , some are noisy. There are many power supplies that will be near silent even under full load, and there are large capacity power supplies that sound like a jet engine even under small loads.

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

7 minutes ago, Masada02 said:

Capture.PNG.5c148f3a8904a03edb12f58ac0e4039a.PNG

As far as my systems usage: I have a kill-a-watt, and unless I'm remembering when I tried to fit my 5960X into this case (and failed on thermals) that's what it uses.

Yes, but from the manufacturers website. If that's what they are doing, then that's fine, but it reads like a pure load based chart and that's what I have to go off of.

They do that as that's what people kind of expect. I'm trying to liken it to something else, but coming up with something that operates similar is hard.

They have testing standards for ambient temperature that they create for those charts. It's more easily digestible for the average user (IE "Well I have a system that will draw 500W so if my PSU is dead silent at that load wattage then I want it - users like you, nothing wrong with that) than "Well, I think the average temperature of my PSU will reach 37C so I maybe don't want the PSU with 80% fan speed at that temperature. Keep in mind, even using this logic you'd probably fine a Corsair RMi to be always quieter, even at 100% load, than most PSUs at 50% load or less.

I get that it's weird, but it is how it is. 

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

4 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

They do that as that's what people kind of expect. I'm trying to liken it to something else, but coming up with something that operates similar is hard.

They have testing standards for ambient temperature that they create for those charts. It's more easily digestible for the average user (IE "Well I have a system that will draw 500W so if my PSU is dead silent at that load wattage then I want it - users like you, nothing wrong with that) than "Well, I think the average temperature of my PSU will reach 37C so I maybe don't want the PSU with 80% fan speed at that temperature. Keep in mind, even using this logic you'd probably fine a Corsair RMi to be always quieter, even at 100% load, than most PSUs at 50% load or less.

I get that it's weird, but it is how it is. 

I figured that because they publish specs like that that there would be some system in addition to the thermal sensors to kick on the fan, but if not it's no big deal. But I get the gist of how it all works. I at least had the bare minimum of electrical engineering courses in college, haha.

I also have a feeling that my definition of "quiet" might be different than most people's...

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

2 minutes ago, Masada02 said:

I figured that because they publish specs like that that there would be some system in addition to the thermal sensors to kick on the fan, but if not it's no big deal. But I get the gist of how it all works. I at least had the bare minimum of electrical engineering courses in college, haha.

I also have a feeling that my definition of "quiet" might be different than most people's...

Nah, pretty much just thermal probing and PWM signals determining how much power to send to the fan. No worries though, civil discussion and people being ok with admitting that they learned something is so refreshing on the internet :D

I dunno, I find my EVGA GS to be too loud when it idles because it has coil whine and is the only audible component in my system when the system is idling due to said coil whine.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

5 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Nah, pretty much just thermal probing and PWM signals determining how much power to send to the fan. No worries though, civil discussion and people being ok with admitting that they learned something is so refreshing on the internet :D

I dunno, I find my EVGA GS to be too loud when it idles because it has coil whine and is the only audible component in my system when the system is idling due to said coil whine.

I try :D.

Ya there's currently a single Noctua 92mm fan at 820rpm spinning in my PC and I still think it needs to be quieter. 

1 minute ago, Masada02 said:

I try :D.

Ya there's currently a single Noctua 92mm fan at 820rpm spinning in my PC and I still think it needs to be quieter. 

If it's not one of the NF-F series it's probably not substantially quieter than any other expensive fan, just BTW.

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

If it's not one of the NF-F series it's probably not substantially quieter than any other expensive fan, just BTW.

NF-A9x14. I'm pretty size limited unfortunately and I don't know if there's a better solution. 

1 hour ago, Masada02 said:

My go-to is always to get a capacity that is at least double what you will realistically use and a PSU that can run fanless. That way you can run games at fanless operation on the PSU, and cut down on overall noise of your PC. But hey, I like my PCs to be quiet. If noise doesn't bother you, get the bare minimum and have that loud-ass PSU fan run all the time.

1. WIch is bullshit

2. and then get a PSU that has a higher RPM fan than most 500W unit have - great idea...

Like that one:

http://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/superflower_leadex_ii/s08.php

http://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/enermax_maxtytan/s09.php

1 hour ago, Masada02 said:

Depends on the PSU. The EVGA 1600T2 I had previously cycled the fan based on load percentage. In ECO mode it would stay off under 40%, anything more kicked it on.

No, you only thought that.

Most PSU regulate fan by temperature, not on load.

Some do both - usually by load but it will be overridden by Temperature.

Jonnyguru mentioned something like that on some Semi Fanless Corsair units.

38 minutes ago, Masada02 said:

You seriously trust the charts from manufacturers??

That actually could make sense because all other SFX-L units aren't great.

The 800W Titanium one seems like the best option in the SFX-L format but not because its an 800W but because the plattform seems quite nice.

And the others aren't as good.

And the be quiet SFX-L thing wasn't available at the time.

You need to take a look at the fine print as well.

Thats only a simplified presentation because that is what manufacturers do. They post simplified graphs. Not real world ones.

28 minutes ago, PETRGangKing said:

Noise level of a PSU doesnt really have much to do with capacity. Some power supplies are quiet , some are noisy. There are many power supplies that will be near silent even under full load, and there are large capacity power supplies that sound like a jet engine even under small loads.

EXACTLY!!

That's how it is and nothing else.

Some PSU are great, some are shit in terms of noise.

Nothing to do with Wattage.

All to do with Design, Layout and stuff like that.

And often the higher wattage unit is louder than the lower wattage one because of the higher RPM fan that is needed for the higher wattage unit.

And Semi-Fanless is just Marketing nonsense in modern PSU that just makes no sense in most units. 

If we talk about high wattage units with 3000rpm fans or so then semi fanless can make sense. But not on 1500rpm or 2200rpm fans in units, those you can regulate so far down that its not noticable at all.

And the sad thing is that even the cheapest shit you can get in something like 80plus Gold, the Xilence Performance X, made by XHY, has a fan that doesn't make any noticable bearing/motor/grinding noise. And an idle fan RPM of around 500rpm or less (can't remember right now) in the 750W version. 

Why aren't more reputable manufacturers able to do the same with similar priced units?!

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

20 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

-snip-

We've already gone over all this and I agree that those graphs probably aren't the most accurate thing in the world. 

Maybe I'm biased towards believing the manufactures publications initially though. I work for a very reputable manufacturer (different industry) and the info we put out isn't bullshit at all and is quite useful. 

8 hours ago, CrippledROBOT said:

The Seasonic SSR 650 or 750 Platinum series are really good!

Would 2nd this. If OP games a TON then get the 750W platinum. If not get the EVGA G2 750w as it's cheaper. 

4 hours ago, Masada02 said:

Maybe I'm biased towards believing the manufactures publications initially though. I work for a very reputable manufacturer (different industry) and the info we put out isn't bullshit at all and is quite useful. 

Did that Industry have any contacts with Consumers?
If not, total different thing.

And you don't want that if you can avoid it, if at all possible. Contact with Consumers I mean.

In B2B you can (and have to) be more honest than when dealing with Consumers. Because less people to deal with and they know what they are doing more than consumer do.

There we are in the 'believe' area.

Believing that "Wapanese" capacitors (made in China) are better/neccessary, that Semi Fanless is an advantage and other fairy tales that are around PSU like Single Rail is better than Multi Rail... 

(yeah, right. If you don't have breakers in your breakerbox its better than to have breaker in your box. Makes total sense)...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"