Troubleshooting... Power relates

JGalsky

Hello! I've been experiencing some unexpected crashes recently and I've tried a few different things but I am out of ideas...

So, whenever I play some heavy-ish games like PUBG, I crash every so often.  Like every 1 and a half or so (no pattern, just random - based on my observation).

I took a look at windows logs and its a critical error that says Kernal-Power (Image identical to mine but not mine: https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+logs+power+kernel+error&client=ms-android-om-lge&prmd=vsni&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj-wMSS-ZPYAhXJKWMKHV7ICeMQ_AUIFCgE&biw=360&bih=518#imgrc=7L2PDLAEn9tNbM: )

My brother was going to get a new GPU and needed a bigger PSU, so I gave him mine and bought a new one.  Same thing happend with this new PSU.

I started thinking it might be the cables, swapped them out, issue persists.

I swapped put my PSU to wall cable, no change.

I plugged my PC into 6 different putlets just to make sure my outlets weren't bad, nothing.  I even tried plugging it out side of my room, and in the other side of the house, no change.

I'm out of ideas to find the source of the issue, any ideas?

Thanks!

Sounds like a PSU problem, as does everyone who replied to a very similar topic on SuperUser: https://superuser.com/questions/792286/why-is-my-windows-machine-restarting-with-kernel-power-issues

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Sounds like a PSU problem, as does everyone who replied to a very similar topic on SuperUser: https://superuser.com/questions/792286/why-is-my-windows-machine-restarting-with-kernel-power-issues

Although this issue persists after replacing the PSU?  My first PSU was the Corsair HX1000i and my second PSU was the AX1200i.

Just now, JGalsky said:

Although this issue persists after replacing the PSU?  My first PSU was the Corsair HX1000i and my second PSU was the AX1200i.

Oh now that is weird. Might be a hard drive problem, again, as mentioned in the link I posted.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

That Critical Error appears any time the computer unexpectedly restarts without cleanly shutting down first. You're looking for errors just before the computer reports "System has started"

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

7 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

That Critical Error appears any time the computer unexpectedly restarts without cleanly shutting down first. You're looking for errors just before the computer reports "System has started"

My PC crashes without shutting down properly, at first it seems that it's because the PC is not receiving power for a second and shuts down.  When I'm playing, my game suddenly stops, but my Discord is still working for about 1 to 2 seconds.  So I tell my friend who's playing with me that I crashed and then my PC crashes and restarts.  I'll look for a log before the Kernal-Power issue.  Maybe I can find a source there.

Sounds like either the GPU driver is crashing, or there is instability in the RAM or CPU.

is this a Ryzen machine? It is overclocked?

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

2 hours ago, knightslugger said:

Sounds like either the GPU driver is crashing, or there is instability in the RAM or CPU.

is this a Ryzen machine? It is overclocked?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CVGtVY

This is the part list.  I have all the drivers up to date. Not overclocked.

Still sounds like the Video card driver, especially since Discord continues to work (indicating the PC is getting sufficient power to operate).

System specs:

14 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

Still sounds like the Video card driver, especially since Discord continues to work (indicating the PC is getting sufficient power to operate).

I'll try different driver versions.  I disabled one GPU for testing the power and the issues SLI sometimes brings, still the same thing.

9 hours ago, knightslugger said:

I tried two versions, both crashed just like normal.  I tried the first version that was not in BETA, ran 3 hours of stress tests and played about 2 hours of games with SLI enabled at max settings and no issues so far.  I'll keep stress testing it hopefully its fully stable.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2017 at 11:39 PM, JGalsky said:

I tried two versions, both crashed just like normal.  I tried the first version that was not in BETA, ran 3 hours of stress tests and played about 2 hours of games with SLI enabled at max settings and no issues so far.  I'll keep stress testing it hopefully its fully stable.

In case anyone is still watching this thread.  Tried every single version, all failed.