Doom co-creator says Xbox 360 and PS3 "far from tapped out"

TeKNiQue

Yep, you heard it folks. Apparently, an eight year console with 512MB of ram still has potential. Running games in sub 720p and below 30fps is the best experience you can have right now, and I advise all of you to get a ps3 or xbox 360. 

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/doom-co-creator-says-xbox-360-and-ps3-far-from-tapped-out-discusses-what-s-holding-doom-4-back/1100-6416657/

I personally don't enjoy 9-string guitars, but that doesn't change the fact that they look awesome as hell!

He is a complete retard, either  that or his agents told him to say that.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

people still use them and more people even bought old gen consoles since they are quite cheap right now and the reason they can sell the games for them is enough

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

He is a complete retard, either  that or his agents told him to say that.

The later hopefully.

hurr specs huurppp 720p durp not in a big pc box

It's a console, there's still potential in it. Look at the life span of the original Xbox and ps2.

Ok they're not far from tapped out because of specs, I think it's the blatant fact that nobody wants to pay 400-500 USD right now.  At least I don't want to.  Just a thought.

I wouldn't mind still having games come out on the 360 and PS3 but I might sell my 360 IF Rockstar releases a One and PS4 version of GTA: V. I like the last-gen consoles but I don't think they have any more potential.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

Where was his bleeding heart when they replaced the original xbox? There actually was still room on it.

The xbox 360 and ps3 only have a little bit of room on them. Sure with better optimization they could squeeze more out of it, but only a little bit more, definitely not enough for it to be worthwhile.

I feel like he meant that last gen had only really reached the height of their potential (with games like GTA V) and now developers are pretty much forced to move on to try and learn how to do it with the next big thing. I think this has less to do with graphics potential (which I'm sure he's looking up to) and more the fact that the best games for last gen came at it's very last stages, the PS3 and Xbox 360 are inarguably still able to handle some great games (again not so much graphically but it's not like you only play games for graphics)  

Most likely trying to bleed stock 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Give the 360/ps3 indie games like terraria where the focal point in game mechanics and design instead of polygons and high res textures

Indeed, the new gen console are nothing but graphic whore machine. Years ago I thought future gen console would upgrade the size of the world or longer story, but it's all about this graphical bollocks for kids who don't have imagination.

The point is games don't need high res textures and uber settings to be fun

Release some 720 30 games that kick ass, there is nothing stopping them from continuing with that as long as they still have a huge fan base (160 odd million consoles). Hell, id prefer sub 720 if it meant 60 fps

the big thing for me is im in first year university and plenty of people here are saying why would i get a new console when they are going to keep making games for 4 years.

Im not sure how to react to that, my family is getting a PS4 for christmas, if mainly for MGSV and whatever else naughty dog and David Cage make in the future, and i have my sigrig, but ive owned every other Sony console, a 360, NES, N64, there is an atari in my attic, and im sure ive forgotten one or two

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

The point is games don't need high res textures and uber settings to be fun

Release some 720 30 games that kick ass, there is nothing stopping them from continuing with that as long as they still have a huge fan base (160 odd million consoles). Hell, id prefer sub 720 if it meant 60 fps

the big thing for me is im in first year university and plenty of people here are saying why would i get a new console when they are going to keep making games for 4 years.

Im not sure how to react to that, my family is getting a PS4 for christmas, if mainly for MGSV and whatever else naughty dog and David Cage make in the future, and i have my sigrig, but ive owned every other Sony console, a 360, NES, N64, there is an atari in my attic, and im sure ive forgotten one or two

This.

I would happily go back to playing on my 360 if there were good enough gaming experiences awaiting me. I could easily stand it being 720p@30fps so long as the game itself is good. I get the distinct impression from his comments that he is absolutely not referring to their technological capabilities, but rather their capability to provide new and enjoyable gameplay experiences.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Golden age of gaming is long gone. now its about how fast can we make a game, market it, and make it look as good as possible. Which really pisses me off. I'm tired of EZ mode game companies and developers only looking to make a quick buck making crappy games. I am MORE WILLING to PAY 60 dollars for a game with snes graphics but has the gameplay, storyline and replay ability over just about any modern turd game now. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's people like him that are a part of the problem for the previous console generation being dragged out so long. It makes me rage inside

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Lol there is only so much you can do with 256MB of main RAM and 256MB of video RAM. Bless 'em. :P

The Xbox One and PS4 were made to "compete" with pc gaming, in my opinion.

Think of the 360 and PS3 as a low budget gaming pc that can handle 1080p at maybe high settings on some games. Not really accurate, I know, but bear with me.

The Xbox One and PS4 could be considered 1440p pc's running at high on most games, ultra preset on the rest or better.

So yes, if you made 360 and PS3 games cheaper than Xbox One/PS4, then people would probably stick to those consoles. It's not like they weren't just enjoying their console before the announcement of these two "next-gen" systems. The thing that may be appealing about the Xbox One/PS4, and why I think they were literally only made to hold ground against the ever-expanding pc gaming community, is their price in comparison to a mid-high end gaming pc as well as the better quality games for around the same price as 360/PS3 titles.

This is why these are the last consoles Microsoft/Sony will put out. The steam machine has been released, and it roflstomps consoles pretty easily. It's kind of sad because prebuilts were always really expensive or just terrible quality for their price, but now Valve has kind of unleashed pc gaming on the world at a very accessible price point, with peripherals that cater to people who are converting to the master race. They also dominate pc game sales with Steam, for good reasons, and there are loads of titles that are on consoles anyway for cheaper (at least in the long run, they'll become cheaper, instead of just obsolete).

I really like that the Steambox exists but I'm not sure if it's the right way to introduce people into computer gaming/building. I have this weird feeling about it is all, similar to how I feel about consoles. But I will say that it is the beginning of the end of the console. If Sony/Microsoft can't get game dev companies to drop their prices down, then they will never live long enough to make another console.

Edit: I just want to clarify that I think all new consoles and the last generation of those consoles are far behind pc's. I'm just saying that I see where the doom co-creator is coming from. Maybe I'm a rarity, but if I could find GBC/GBA games for really cheap and were new, good games, I'd probably buy them even if I had a 2/3DS or a PS Vita. With that said, the 360 and PS3 have enough sales and enough people who own one or the other currently to potentially support more game development on them (assuming the games don't suck and are fresh/new, not ports or remakes). Doesn't have to be amazing graphic/display quality, either.

With that said, this dude pisses me off a bit because from an economic standpoint, it makes no sense to support the 360/PS3, even with ported titles, because it takes away the profit margin from the newest consoles. Even if it were better margins on the 360/PS3 than the Xbox One/PS4, they would be fucking idiots for even coming out with such terrible products if they did. It'd just prove that they'd failed miserably (even though many people realize this, many others disagree) and would probably do more harm than good.

Whiskers, on 13 Dec 2013 - 6:50 PM, said:

This.

I would happily go back to playing on my 360 if there were good enough gaming experiences awaiting me. I could easily stand it being 720p@30fps so long as the game itself is good. I get the distinct impression from his comments that he is absolutely not referring to their technological capabilities, but rather their capability to provide new and enjoyable gameplay experiences.

This is kind of what I was aiming for with my previous post (didn't read/see this post until after I posted). I am pretty sure a lot of people wouldn't mind paying $50 and under for new games on the 360/PS3 and not have to spend an extra $500+ just to get slightly upgraded hardware/controllers. The controllers I think are arguable, because I have a feeling they could've made similar ones for the 360/PS3 anyway.

They seriously didn't have to release the new consoles this early but they brought "better quality gaming" into the picture, when it really isn't that much better. It's below what many people think is standard. If they waited 1-2 years longer, they could've came out with consoles that would actually handle 1080p high/ultra settings well, at a considerable price at that. Instead, they did what they did. Again, one of the reasons why I think it was just to offset the growing pc market. Spend $600-1000 on a console, peripherals and games and that's 1 more year you have to wait to get a good gaming pc. At that point, you think you've invested so much into your console that you might as well commit, right?

I'm not saying that everyone is on a tighter budget or cannot afford a mid-high end gaming pc, Xbox One and a PS4, but if you're that person then you're kind of excluded from the argument unless you truly care about what Microsoft and Sony were trying to bank their console sales on (I.E. crazy gud high-res grafix/fps bro).

tumblr_mared1FmDP1rbo5o4o1_500.jpg

'Nuff said.

Where do bad folks go when they die?
They don't go to heaven where the angels fly
They go to the lake of fire and fry, Won't see them again 'till the fourth of July