Does Power Cables Matter?

Princess Luna

The cable that you connect your PSU to the wall, does it matter?

Any is fine?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Don't believe it does

Pretty sure any cable will work as long as it has the correct connector for the PSU

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i9 12900K

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i Elite Capellix

Mother Board: MSI z690 carbon WiFi

RAM: TeamSport Elite DDR5 2x16 4800mhz

Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Plus NVMe, 240 SanDisk SSD Plus, Crucial MX300 750GB SSD

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

PSU: Cosrair RM850X 80+ Gold

Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p @ 165hz

Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Chroma

Mouse: Logitech G502

Sound: Sony MDR 1000x Headphones, Blue Snowball Microphone

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

CPU: Intel i7 10875H

RAM: 16gb DDR4

Storage: 512gb NVMe, 1TB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q

5 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

The cable that you connect your PSU to the wall, does it matter?

Any is fine?

If you're running a unit that can push more than 1500W then it matters.

Other than that, just make sure that the fuse is 3A or higher for PSUs pushing around 700W. Assuming you're on 240V. 5A for up to 1200W and 13A for anything beyond iirc.

That's what I can just about remember anyway.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

They have differing thicknesses and different specs, so it does matter, depending on where you live. Standards might be in place so the cords don't go below a certain thickness.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

As long as it's UL listed it should be fine. One time I ordered a dell OEM charger, but the mickey mouse cable was clearly aftermarket and had 0 markings. Testing it for kicks resulted in a hot to the touch cable that would definitely catch fire w/ extended use. Reported it right away and Amazon kick the seller off. 

0C9A1370.thumb.jpg.79d06505ebb28b4fb5c044b80b641c90.jpg

8 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Other than that, just make sure that the fuse is 3A or higher for PSUs pushing around 700W. Assuming you're on 240V. 5A for up to 1200W and 13A for anything beyond iirc.

Nah Corsair TX650M on a 110V wall plug.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

10 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Nah Corsair TX650M on a 110V wall plug.

Going by what the AC Input sticker says (on the internet anyway) make sure fuse is higher than 10A I guess. You probably could get away with lower since 650 / 110 = 5.9A. Or maybe it's best to go by the sticker?

Not an Electrical Engineer, just guessing.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

2 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

If you're running a unit that can push more than 1500W then it matters.

That's what I can just about remember anyway.

1 hour ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Going by what the AC Input sticker says (on the internet anyway) make sure fuse is higher than 10A I guess. You probably could get away with lower since 650 / 110 = 5.9A. Or maybe it's best to go by the sticker?

Not an Electrical Engineer, just guessing.

Yeah... AC power cords aren't typically fused.  Only most of the UK ones are and I believe some EU ones are fused.  But for the most part, there's no fuse.

Typically inadquate power cords are an issue in low line regions like the U.S., Japan, Taiwan, etc.  Because the lower the line voltage, the higher the current.... and those power cords are NOT fused.

Just don't cheap out on the power cord if you need to buy a replacement.  They are rated; because different cords use different gauge wire inside.  

For example:  A power cord with 18g wire can only handle 10A (peak).  This is fine for a 850W PSU, but the cord will get hot, and I certainly wouldn't use it for a 1000W+ PSU.  

2 hours ago, Legendarypoet said:

As long as it's UL listed it should be fine. One time I ordered a dell OEM charger, but the mickey mouse cable was clearly aftermarket and had 0 markings. Testing it for kicks resulted in a hot to the touch cable that would definitely catch fire w/ extended use. Reported it right away and Amazon kick the seller off. 

0C9A1370.thumb.jpg.79d06505ebb28b4fb5c044b80b641c90.jpg

Assuming the OP is in America... which seems to be a safe bet.

UL marking does mean that it was tested for safety like flammability, operating temperature, etc. but even UL markings are becoming rare as we become more of a global market and UL fails to be competitive in their certification costs.

For example:  TÜV is recognized more globally and the TÜVus marking completely supplants UL And CSA as accepted North American safety certifications.

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

Just don't cheap out on the power cord if you need to buy a replacement.  They are rated; because different cords use different gauge wire inside. 

Well I did purchase the most expensive one they had in my trusted retailer so over all I should fine right? remembering it is for a TX650M on 110V wall, I am not even buying a replacement, sad part is that here in Brazil the PSUs are not shipped with included power cables because we have recently changed our format from USA's one to a national exclusive one:

26127_index_g.jpg

Personal Desktop":

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

Well I did purchase the most expensive one they had in my trusted retailer so over all I should fine right? remembering it is for a TX650M on 110V wall, I am not even buying a replacement, sad part is that here in Brazil the PSUs are not shipped with included power cables because we have recently changed our format from USA's one to a national exclusive one:

26127_index_g.jpg

So the part number for your PSU (on the box) ends with "WW"?

Brazil typically gets no power cord because even within Brazil there are different plugs AND different mains voltages.  No other country is like this as far as varying mains voltages.  And maybe only Italy (mix of CEI 23-050 and CEE 7/7) and India (mix of IS 1293 and BS1323) and South Africa (mix of SANS 60799 and BS1363) have such a big cluster-you-know-what when it comes to power and power cords.

And even when multiple countries use the SAME power cord (like NA, Japan and Taiwan, for example) you can't ship the same cord to all three countries because NA needs to be UL/CSA, Japan needs to be JIS and Taiwan needs to be BSMI certified.  And BSMI won't certify a cord that's already UL, JIS won't certify a cord that's already BSMI.....   I swear to God it's a racket to suck more money out of manufacturers to get them to pay for multiple certifications.

Just now, jonnyGURU said:

Tell me about it, it is a complete mess, at least power isn't all that pricey thanks to hydro plants... I haven't the items at hand just yet they are in shipping process but when all arrives I'll give this thread a bump with more accurate information.

I can say though for what is worth that these cables are certified by our commerce quality control government thingy Inmetro which is a big deal here believe or not xD

Cheers [:

Personal Desktop":

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Yeah... AC power cords aren't typically fused.  Only most of the UK ones are and I believe some EU ones are fused.  But for the most part, there's no fuse.

Typically inadquate power cords are an issue in low line regions like the U.S., Japan, Taiwan, etc.  Because the lower the line voltage, the higher the current.... and those power cords are NOT fused.

For example:  A power cord with 18g wire can only handle 10A (peak).  This is fine for a 850W PSU, but the cord will get hot, and I certainly wouldn't use it for a 1000W+ PSU.  

Did not know that. Assumed that overseas units had fuses since...well...I have them (UK). Even though there's many different standards I assumed that fuses were pretty much universal on cords. Guess not xD

If you're the real Slim Shady JonnyGURU get yourself an industry affiliate tag. It's important that people know what you do. Keep at it.

I prefer not having an "industry affiliate" tag.  I'm not here representing any company (since I post on my time), website (since I don't write for JG.com anymore), etc. and I want the freedom to call someone a Jack Wagon whenever they deserve it.

HardOCP put something fucked up like "Official Corsair Rep" next to my name, so I quit going there altogether.  Problem is, when he did that, it attached that title to every post I made there for the last 20 years.  So even back when I was talking shit about some stupid Corsair Nautilus AIO cooler, there would be "Corsair" next to my name.  A stupid and poorly thought out idea/process.