My PC was killed by a busted water pipe

As the topic says, about 10 minutes ago a pipe for our dishwasher upstairs broke and got to my PC. My guess is that the GPU is definitely fried, but I was wondering if it's even worth trying to salvage anything else

IMG_20171207_181439.jpg

IMG_20171207_181452.jpg

IMG_20171207_181501.jpg

I'm assuming it was on at the time?

If not, your machine should be fine bud. Just don't power it until it's dry. It's only the 3.3v standby rail that's powered when the machine is off, and it has such a low current cap that it's unlikely to cause any major issues with a short before OCP kicked in.

Just now, phongle123 said:

If it wasn't on when the water hit it. I'm sure it's fine.

Oh, it was running. I was Watching something on tv when I heard the water. Looked over and the whole thing just shut down

Even though its a pain in the ass don't just throw it all out, if you have a way to test components I would, not worth throwing out the whole thing without knowing if parts are still good, as its doubtful the water penetrated ever component.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

Just now, TheUnderratedGamer said:

Oh, it was running. I was Watching something on tv when I heard the water. Looked over and the whole thing just shut down

In which case, make sure it's disconnected (of course), make sure to dry it as much as you can, and then leave it for at LEAST 24 hours in a warm environment to try to dry off the rest. An airing closet would be perfect for it.

Once it's had it's time, inspect your parts for any sign of moisture at all, and then try powering it back up. You'll wanna remove your parts to check for moisture, since it's so easy for water to get to places you can't easily see - like behind boards or under slots.

It's possible that the water caused a short to ground and your power supply triggered it's protection, which means you may still be left with a mainly-working system.

1 minute ago, phongle123 said:

If it wasn't on when the water hit it. I'm sure it's fine.

no. the power supply could have been damaged by the water for sure, i'd never use that again. 

also, some parts of the motherboard still have power even when the machine is off. think about your usb ports. 

Just now, TheUnderratedGamer said:

NEVER USE YOUR POWER SUPPLY FOR ANYTHING EVER AGAIN. 

you could test things like the graphics card (once you dried it) in a spare pc you might have lying around.

She/Her

So, there is now new information to the story. It turns out that my sisters new dog decided to piss down an AC vent which made its way to my computer. I am absolutely fucking livid

1 minute ago, TheUnderratedGamer said:

So, there is now new information to the story. It turns out that my sisters new dog decided to piss down an AC vent which made its way to my computer. I am absolutely fucking livid

Thats really disgusting.

Douse everything with rubbing alcohol ASAP and let it dry. When it dries, test everything and see what is broken and what works, then have her pay for the broken parts. I can't imagine everything in your pc is broken.

My native language is C++

1 minute ago, TheUnderratedGamer said:

I'd be getting her to replace any damaged parts. That's disgusting.

the original thing i said still stands, NEVER use that power supply again. 

and yes, get her to replace your damaged parts. 

She/Her

3 minutes ago, Tabs said:

I'd be getting her to replace any damaged parts. That's disgusting.

I'd be getting her to replace that dog LOL!

New dog no attachments.

i would leave t for a week or 2, dont touch nothink for that time and then take it apart, clean and dry it all and then power it on like you would if a phone got wet

dont get rid till you see whats actully damaged

Here's the best way to recover water damaged components (time is extremely important here!)

1. Do a complete tear down of your pc. 
  2. Take off any heatsinks
  3. Get a shallow tub of some sort that's is deep and wide enough to take any of your components 
  4. douse with 99.9% isopropyl and let it dry in a an environment that is neither dry nor humid
  5. reassemble and test everything but the psu

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Insurance, if you're covered for accidental damage.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini