Beginner - Building a NAS

MonteToast

Hey folks,

first of all all, i have no idea how to do this stuff at all, so please be kind with me and if you know about any guides or suggestions which could help, please post them here. Thanks alot.

What i have: 

an old pc which i dismantled recently for another build, except for:

- a core i5 3550 i believe ( have to check later) / stock cooler | is this enough power ???

- a gigabyte ga-b75-d3v

- one stick of 8 gb ddr3 ram 

- a cheap-o atx case

What i want:

- as cheap as possible NAS for:

- having backups of 2 pc`s

- storing a backup of 3D renderings

- streaming my movie collection (some of them are 4K)

- access over the network for pc`s of course 

Bonus:

- access for other devices like smartphones

- if possible, access from the internet

- monitoring over an app

As far as i know i need a capable psu and storage of course, i`ve read a WD Ironwolf is a good choice. Also the 4tb are 95€ at my place

I thought buying a mATX or even a ITX mobo with a suitable case, that is and dumping it somewhere, but are there any cheap mobos this size for my cpu ??? I dont want to spend 50€ or more for such old hardware

Software wise.......

well i know its possible to build a nas with this kind of parts and i know i can use some kind of ubuntu , freeNas or whatever plex is for that, btu i have absolutely no idea what the pro and cons are and how i get to run.

How do i set this up ?

If you need any more information feel free to ask, i`m in the dark here. ( also i have problems expressing myself in english )

Pls help me out here, it would mean alot to me

From personal experience and other statistical data which I have obtained the Toshiba N300 or a Seagate video 3.5 inch hard drive would be good in the size that your usage application requires. 

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

As for a case, the node 804 by fractal design is good, can hold up to 8 drives.

Seagate ironwolf are good hdds for NAS

CPU is fine, and 8gb is enough for your use case. If you get the case listed above, you will need a micro atx motherboard. 

PSU does not need to be much, 550watts should be fine

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

here is a different channel perspective on NAS, its their solution+ a funny skit 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I'd strongly suggest FreeNAs for all of the above. I've had the same requirements like you when i built my NAS and I can say that FreeNAS met my expectations and beyond. If you're planning to use  the latest version then 8GB of RAM is the bare minimum. in general the more RAM the merrier ! (They strongly suggest the usage of ECC RAM, but its more expensive and I don't thnk that your motherboard supports it)