Enterprise HDDs vs consumer

Mooshi

Is there any reason why one shouldn't go for an enterprise rated storage solution in their gaming rig? Seems like the more robust qualities make it a no brainer.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-ST1000NM0033-Enterprise-Constellation-Cache-Internal/dp/B00A47FPL8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386684246&sr=8-1&keywords=Seagate+Constellation+ES.3+ST1000NM0033

I saw this and the quality of it and massive cache seems like it'd make a fine storage drive. Thoughts?

Part of the motivation for looking at the enterprise rated ones is that I've noticed HDDs on the consumer level kinda don't have as good of reviews as they used to.

I prefer more drives of smaller storage so that when one inevitably fails I won't be losing too storage while it's offline and it can minimize losses if it's catastrophic and data is spread evenly. 

#unpopularopinions 

Error: 410

I prefer more drives of smaller storage so that when one inevitably fails I won't be losing too storage while it's offline and it can minimize losses if it's catastrophic 

#unpopularopinions 

I was debating going all SSD, but the price for a 500GB SSD is still kinda intense. :V

Well if you're using the drive for regular storage then the consumer. The Enterprise grade HDD will last longer, have a better warranty, and also be more expensive.

Quote me to get a reply!

I prefer more drives of smaller storage so that when one inevitably fails I won't be losing too storage while it's offline and it can minimize losses if it's catastrophic and data is spread evenly. 

#unpopularopinions

I prefer 2 HDD's of the largest capacity (I have 4TB ones in my NAS). This way, I have an exact copy (RAID1), but I have plenty of storage space.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I was debating going all SSD, but the price for a 500GB SSD is still kinda intense. :V

I'm sure you don't use all of that 500gb regularly enough to warrant an SSD for it. :U

Error: 410

I'm sure you don't use all of that 500gb regularly enough to warrant an SSD for it. :U

On this topic, I added a 40GB SSD to my NAS (with the two 4TBs) as cache for them, and my write speeds never drop below 60MB/s. When sometimes it would be 10MB/s

Note that I was copying and it was copying from a 1TB HDD to the NAS. 

A constant 60MB/s is infinitely better than 10MB/s ... Soooo much better.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I'm running off a single 120GB (109 formatted)  SSD with little space left..a 240GB SSD might be a possibility..I need more storage regardless. =P Either enterprise HDD for robustness or another SSD for sleek quiet storage.

If only 1TB SSDs cost around 100 dollars..that would be amazing.

Is there any reason why one shouldn't go for an enterprise rated storage solution in their gaming rig? Seems like the more robust qualities make it a no brainer.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-ST1000NM0033-Enterprise-Constellation-Cache-Internal/dp/B00A47FPL8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386684246&sr=8-1&keywords=Seagate+Constellation+ES.3+ST1000NM0033

I saw this and the quality of it and massive cache seems like it'd make a fine storage drive. Thoughts?

Part of the motivation for looking at the enterprise rated ones is that I've noticed HDDs on the consumer level kinda don't have as good of reviews as they used to.

It is much more expensive, if that isn't reason enough.

Drives like the WD RE or Seagate Constellation are designed to be used in chassis with many dozens of drives, running at full load 24/7. In a regular gaming rig you wouldn't ever get close to the kind of abuse they're meant to take.

You can go with them, of course. They'll perform well and would be the most reliable storage you could buy. But the fact that you can get something that performs just as well, in the same capacities, with a negligible reduction in reliability for the workload they're under, and at half the price, makes them have poor value.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking