Stock Or Aftermarket Heatsink For i7-4771

Hi,

I have a few questions for those of you who own an i7 Haswell CPU and use the stock heatsink. FYI, I'm getting the i7-4771, so I will not be over-clocking.

1. Do you find the stock heatsink acceptable or should I get an after-market cooler? If so, which one would you recommend?

2. Is the stock heatsink fan loud?

3. Lastly, should I invest in some "quality" thermal paste, or will the pre-applied thermal paste be just fine on the stock heatsink?

Thanks everyone!

Get a Hyper 212, I say this because I feel that this one of the best coolers for the money. The stock cooler is a bit too loud.

Quote me to get a reply!

when not overclocking the stock heatsink should be fine I am ashamed to admit I still have it in my rig never got round to replacing it and it does the job since my board is H67 :3 

The stock i absolutely fine for not OC, but it's very noisy

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

Never use the stock heatsink, regardless of whether or not you're overclocking. At worst, even with a cheap $15 aftermarket heatsink (with MIR), you will get a quieter fan and slightly lower temps. 

I think that it's worth the money to invest in higher end heatsinks because you can easily reuse them in the future. Even if you upgrade to a brand new socket, chances are that there will be new adapters/plates available for your cooler.

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

Macho HR2 from thermalright and install w/o fans. as long as good airventilation is there it will be cool and unhearable unlike the stock heatsink which is the opposite.
works for my 2600K at stock, not gettin over 40° w/ Furmark on the 6870 and p95 on all cores + ram. even after an hour.

EDIT: with me it's a Scythe Mugen II. If you can actually fit it, I would recommend going semi passive (yeah air drag from the other fans but they're T.B. silent wings and rubber-plug-mounted).

EDIT2: Thermal paste that comes w/ the heatsinks is fine nowadays but I have some ac MX2 laying around..good stuff..just in case

2600k, HD6870, 16GB

The stock i absolutely fine for not OC, but it's very noisy

Yeah, the noise is what I'm mainly worried about.

Hi,

I have a few questions for those of you who own an i7 Haswell CPU and use the stock heatsink. FYI, I'm getting the i7-4771, so I will not be over-clocking.

1. Do you find the stock heatsink acceptable or should I get an after-market cooler? If so, which one would you recommend?

2. Is the stock heatsink fan loud?

3. Lastly, should I invest in some "quality" thermal paste, or will the pre-applied thermal paste be just fine on the stock heatsink?

Thanks everyone!

The stock heatsink should be fine. A little loud, but it's not too bad. And the pre-applied paste on the stock heatsink is actually pretty good. I would buy some thermal paste though regardless because if you ever plan on changing coolers or just replacing the paste you'll need some.

I am planning on using the stock Intel cooler in the beginning. If it doesn't get the job done, I'll purchase another. Still would like to see some more recommendations (even if it's one already mentioned).

Just wondering how well the stock cooler will keep things cool during a few hours of BF4.

Anyway, thanks, guys!

1. Stock is perfectly fine if you have any decent case airflow at all.

2. Depends on what speed you run it. With decent case airflow and using the bios, it can be rather quiet but still audible. 

3. The stock is far from the best but it's fine. 

Why are you getting the 4771?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Don't forget to monitor your temps!!!!!!!

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------

For the I5 Haswell? Stock is "ok". For the I7? No. For those saying the I7 Haswell stock fan is ok, have you ever looked at rendering temps or 8 thread games temps on a 4770?

Rendering in the 80C-90C range is not "ok". 

Buy a 30 dollar evo 212. The thing is better then the stock fan without the fan running. With it running it is stupidly better.

Stock fan might have been "ok" on the 3770, not on the 4770, Haswell added at least 10 degrees. HT adds 10 degrees.

No I would not spend 5-10 bucks on thermal paste. That is 1/3rd the price of an evo that will drop rendering/gaming temps by 25 degrees. The base on the stock fan isn't copper, which is why it sucks. IF you could transfer all the heat to the heatsink it would still suck because there isn't enough metal to hold the heat. 

The I7 should simply not be sold with a stock fan, unless all you do is look at the internet. Then? Yeah it is fine. Haswell idles and does small tasks at low voltage temps. This doesn't mean load temps are acceptable. Haswell could do internet crap without  a fan at all to be honest. mine stays at 26-30 C until I run a game and I am at 4.5ghz on a evo push/pull. It was at 30 C on the stock fan. Then I rendered...Say hello to 85-90C lol. :)

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

For the I5 Haswell? Stock is "ok". For the I7? No. For those saying the I7 Haswell stock fan is ok, have you ever looked at rendering temps or 8 thread games temps on a 4770?

Rendering in the 80C-90C range is not "ok". 

Stock fan might have been "ok" on the 3770, not on the 4770, Haswell added at least 10 degrees. HT adds 10 degrees.

The stock fan for Ivy and Haswell aren't the same. They have made slight improvements to the fan with the newer models despite looking very similar.

80-90c is fine for rendering. It's usually closer to 80-85c if you have any decent case airflow though.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The stock fan for Ivy and Haswell aren't the same. They have made slight improvements to the fan with the newer models despite looking very similar.

80-90c is fine for rendering. It's usually closer to 80-85c if you have any decent case airflow though.

http://ark.intel.com/products/75123

Intel disagrees with you.

Now if this was say a casual user that isn't going to be gaming/streaming/rendering alot? Yeah hitting those temps is ok once in awhile. Someone who is going to be doing any of those things a lot? You don't want to be at those temps. Just because some random people oc their chip too high, with too high a voltage and say "it's fine", doesn't make it fine. Silicon is silicon. Haswell didn't inherit magical properties to make it run hotter and last longer at those temps.

Also prime is not rendering, I know this. The temps are way higher. Try to prime blend on a 4770 on a stock cooler. I dare you. :) I won't tempt you with tests other then blend. IBT or small tft the chip might asplode.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

http://ark.intel.com/products/75123

Intel disagrees with you.

Now if this was say a casual user that isn't going to be gaming/streaming/rendering alot? Yeah hitting those temps is ok once in awhile. Someone who is going to be doing any of those things a lot? You don't want to be at those temps. Just because some random people oc their chip too high, with too high a voltage and say "it's fine", doesn't make it fine. Silicon is silicon. Haswell didn't inherit magical properties to make it run hotter and last longer at those temps.

Also prime is not rendering, I know this. The temps are way higher. Try to prime blend on a 4770 on a stock cooler. I dare you. :) I won't tempt you with tests other then blend. IBT or small tft the chip might asplode.

I don't see where Intel disagrees with me.

Ivy is just as fine running at 80-90c as Haswell. I don't see the issue.

I've tested renders with cad and such. It doesn't get hotter than Prime95.

1. Stock is perfectly fine if you have any decent case airflow at all.

2. Depends on what speed you run it. With decent case airflow and using the bios, it can be rather quiet but still audible. 

3. The stock is far from the best but it's fine. 

Why are you getting the 4771?

For gaming (BF4 and the possibility in helping out with some live streaming events) and I'll also be editing a large collection of outdoor videos that I've taken over the past few years. Plus, I have NO desire to over-clock anything, so the i7-4770K wasn't necessary. The i7-4770K also costs a little more. The i7-4771 that I am getting looks to be fine for what I intend to do. Is the the best choice? Who knows for sure, but it will be here sometime today as I have already ordered it. I hope I made the right decision, though.

Since my gaming and editing sessions may last for several hours at a time, I am concerned about the stock heatsink not being adequate in keeping the CPU temps down. Just seeking a little input from others.

Thanks, man!

72.5 C degree max. It is listed in the specs of their product.

Now as the OP is getting a I7 I can only assume he is going to be rendering/streaming while gaming and using those threads. In which case? The stock cooler is not sufficient and will get you nowhere near the temps Intel recommends. People have actually called Intel about temps and Intel has said you need a aftermarket cooler to game with. I see comments like this all the time on reviews of the 4770's on newegg etc. 

You are degrading your chip. Hate to break it to you. Now go seek consolation from another person degrading their chip. They will tell you that it is ok and you will believe it and you will forget all about this conversation. 

If you are doing to upgrade in 2 years? Who cares. If the op wants his chip to last awhile? He better get an aftermarket cooler.

For gaming (BF4 and the possibility in helping out with some live streaming events) and I'll also be editing a large collection of outdoor videos that I've taken over the past few years. Plus, I have NO desire to over-clock anything, so the i7-4770K wasn't necessary. The i7-4770K also costs a little more. The i7-4771 that I am getting looks to be fine for what I intend to do. Is the the best choice? Who knows for sure, but it will be here sometime today as I have already ordered it. I hope I made the right decision, though.

Since my gaming and editing sessions may last for several hours at a time, I am concerned about the stock heatsink not being adequate in keeping the CPU temps down. Just seeking a little input from others.

Thanks, man!

You could've went with the 1230 v3 which is quite cheaper with just a slightly lower clock speed: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646e31230v3

If it's too loud or temps are getting uncomfortably high, you might want to look into getting an aftermarket cooler.

Just some suggestions:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/silenx-cpu-cooler-efz92ha2

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2

The 212 Plus might be a better option since it might drop down to $20 some time.

72.5 C degree max. It is listed in the specs of their product.

In that case, look at the 3770k's recommended temps... http://ark.intel.com/products/65523

We pretty much know that 80-90c is fine regardless of what Intel says.

Thanks, man!

the 4771 is more then fine for next gen games. A 2.5ghz Haswell will max most video card set ups and match a 8350 AMD :) The only reason I even OC my K model is Guild Wars 2. Next gen games will use 8 threads and you will beat out oc I5's at stock. Personally I would get a aftermarket cooler if streaming BF4. The temps will be up there. With a 30 dollar evo 212? They will be below ideal temps and it will run fantastic for years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLlrqzwxJig

^ guy is a real down to earth person who shows install on a evo 212. If your mb tray has a hole behind the MB where the cpu is, and both side panels open, and it is a decent size case, you can install it easily once the MB is in also. You won't even need the manual to install it after watching that video :)

In that case, look at the 3770k's recommended temps... http://ark.intel.com/products/65523

We pretty much know that 80-90c is fine regardless of what Intel says.

You know this how? Because your chip has lasted a whole year or two?  When you pass recommended voltage temps, the chip degrades faster. Just because you can afford to replace your chip in a year or two doesn't mean the OP can.

As far as the Xeon. They WERE a great deal before they raised the price. Now they are same price, and run a little cooler (they removed turbo speeds of course they run cooler). Why would you want a gimped 4771 if they are the same price? The 4771 also has an instruction set the 4770k does not. So it will be slightly faster then a stock 4770k. The K of course beats it when OC, but the 4771 is in no way  a bad chip. It just runs a little hot with turbo. :)

You could've went with the 1230 v3 which is quite cheaper with just a slightly lower clock speed: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646e31230v3

If it's too loud or temps are getting uncomfortably high, you might want to look into getting an aftermarket cooler.

Just some suggestions:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/silenx-cpu-cooler-efz92ha2

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2

The 212 Plus might be a better option since it might drop down to $20 some time.

Certainly not a bad CPU you've recommended, but I went with the i7 due to it having Hyper-Threading technology. This could be helpful in editing and the live streaming events I may help with. Honestly, probably can't go wrong with any of the newer CPUs from AMD or Intel. Some will perform better than others, no doubt about that, I just went with what looks to be what I need. I hope it is.

That 212 EVO must be nice, I've seen that thing mentioned all over the web. May have to get that one.

Keep the suggestions coming. :)

Again, thanks for your time, everyone.

You know this how? Because your chip has lasted a whole year or two?  When you pass recommended voltage temps, the chip degrades faster. Just because you can afford to replace your chip in a year or two doesn't mean the OP can.

As far as the Xeon. They WERE a great deal before they raised the price. Now they are same price, and run a little cooler (they removed turbo speeds of course they run cooler). Why would you want a gimped 4771 if they are the same price? The 4771 also has an instruction set the 4770k does not. So it will be slightly faster then a stock 4770k. The K of course beats it when OC, but the 4771 is in no way  a bad chip. It just runs a little hot with turbo. :)

Same price? The 1230 v3 is ~$250 while the 4771 is $300+

There's no point comparing to the stock 4770k. You might as well just compare it to the 4770 at that point.

I know this because it's been confirmed by pretty much everyone on other forums along with intel employees.

The Tcase is Intels' upper limit for 'normal' usage.  The following is an explanation by 'Intel_Karla' responding to someone on the Intel Support forum https://communities.intel.com/thread/32957

"Anything from the Tcase and below will be the expected temperature of the processor in normal use, anything that doesn't stress out the processor (watching movies, burning CDs, browsing the internet, creating documents, etc.) When the processor is stressed out meaning that you are running heavy processor applications that take control of the CPU or uses it at 100% the temperature will go beyond the Tcase. It can perfectly reach 90 to 95 degrees and the processor will still be OK. The cooling fan is in charge to keep that temperature there.
If the processor temperature reaches 100°C or more it will send a signal to the motherboard to shut down to prevent mayor damages and most likely it won't be possible to turn the computer back in until it cools down."

The chip is perfectly fine at 80-90c at load.

Certainly not a bad CPU you've recommended, but I went with the i7 due to it having Hyper-Threading technology. This could be helpful in editing and the live streaming events I may help with. Honestly, probably can't go wrong with any of the newer CPUs from AMD or Intel. Some will perform better than others, no doubt about that, I just went with what looks to be what I need. I hope it is.

The 1230 v3 has HT.

Same price? The 1230 v3 is ~$250 while the 4771 is $300+

There's no point comparing to the stock 4770k. You might as well just compare it to the 4770 at that point.

I know this because it's been confirmed by pretty much everyone on other forums along with intel employees.

The Tcase is Intels' upper limit for 'normal' usage.  The following is an explanation by 'Intel_Karla' responding to someone on the Intel Support forum https://communities.intel.com/thread/32957

"Anything from the Tcase and below will be the expected temperature of the processor in normal use, anything that doesn't stress out the processor (watching movies, burning CDs, browsing the internet, creating documents, etc.) When the processor is stressed out meaning that you are running heavy processor applications that take control of the CPU or uses it at 100% the temperature will go beyond the Tcase. It can perfectly reach 90 to 95 degrees and the processor will still be OK. The cooling fan is in charge to keep that temperature there.
If the processor temperature reaches 100°C or more it will send a signal to the motherboard to shut down to prevent mayor damages and most likely it won't be possible to turn the computer back in until it cools down."

The chip is perfectly fine at 80-90c at load.

The 1230 v3 has HT.

Blah blah blah. AMD says 90 C is ok on their new video cards. People are waiting for non ref coolers for a reason. They don't believe AMD. Why? Because we are older and don't believe BS. Nvidia throttles it's silicon at 82? As I said, this silicon did not inherit magical qualities and people are just making up "safe" numbers. You have NEVER in the history of computers wanted to go past 75 C if you could help it. That was considered a "ok" MAX You want to be below that if at all possible.

Whatever though. You recommend 85 C in BF4/streaming. Have fun with that OP. 300 something dollar chip and not spending 30 on a aftermarket cooler that will get you 60's C. Makes perfect sense lol. 

One intel employee will tell you get a aftermarket cooler on the phone, and another one will tell you as long as you aren't throttling you are safe (LOL). Tell that to all the dead gaming laptop I7's which ran in the 80's. They don't seem to last long. I wonder why...

Blah blah blah. AMD says 90 C is ok on their new video cards. People are waiting for non ref coolers for a reason. They don't believe AMD. Why? Because we are older and don't believe BS. Nvidia throttles it's silicon at 82? As I said, this silicon did not inherit magical qualities and people are just making up "safe" numbers. You have NEVER in the history of computers wanted to go past 75 C if you could help it. That was considered a "ok" MAX You want to be below that if at all possible.

Whatever though. You recommend 85 C in BF4/streaming. Have fun with that OP. 300 something dollar chip and not spending 30 on a aftermarket cooler that will get you 60's C. Makes perfect sense lol. 

One intel employee will tell you get a aftermarket cooler on the phone, and another one will tell you as long as you aren't throttling you are safe (LOL). Tell that to all the dead gaming laptop I7's which ran in the 80's. They don't seem to last long. I wonder why...

90c is perfectly fine with many gpus and have been for quite a while. 

It's not that people don't believe AMD. They're just uncomfortable with the temps just like how some people are uncomfortable without loading in every fan mount in a case.

Where'd you get the info that Nvidia throttled at 82c? Why do you keep saying silicon? You don't throttle silicon.. It's an element that used in making chips.

People aren't just making up safe numbers. Many times have people showed tests of cpus or gpus throttling at certain temps.

Laptops are moved around and have a weaker chasis than a desktop. The heat can at times be hot enough to compromise the tightly compressed parts in a laptop. This doesn't happen in a desktop tower.

I have not read of any Intel employee disagreeing with the quote above.