Statements that trigger tech fans.

Armakar
1 hour ago, kk027 said:

If my CPU was that hot, I'd shut off my PC then buy a water cooler. Though, considering I have a Ryzen 3, I think there would be other problems if it somehow got to those temps. I get scared at 60 degrees and prepare to shut down my PC at 70 (only if I find out). That's why I only recorded in game temps once or twice to be confident that the next time I loaded up a game my PC didn't burn up.

I know how you feel. I want to put a full custom water loop on my G4400 when it reaches 47 degrees in 100% stress testing on the stock cooler.

Well actually, I wanted to do it for the lulz but I dont have that much spare money lying around

Linus is my fetish.

On 12/4/2017 at 9:28 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

The thing is, that's actually a thing.  SSHD, form Seagate (iirc).  It's got like an 8 GB SSD build in as a cache, but is otherwise a normal HDD.  Not the best name imo but it is a real one.

Well that's Solid State Hybrid Drive

Aditya K. Arun / redscape photo and video.

Photography, Tech enthusiast.

500px.com/redscape_

Instagram: redscape_

5 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Those are two separate points. Some people may feel one without the other.

Owning a product because it looks good and feels good to use is not a bad reason to buy something. Premium feel and build quality are worthy factors. As is aesthetic appeal.

Someone can enjoy the feel and look of an item without feeling jealous if they don't have the most expensive thing.

Granted, there are a lot more Windows-based choices for high-end, high build quality, high aesthetic appeal laptops now, then in the past.

Gotta get that premium build quality from Foxconn and all the other factories in China.

Honestly Apple products are just the tech equivalent of handbags. You pay more for the exact same fabric, maybe just shaped slightly differently.

Linus is my fetish.

32 minutes ago, Red____14 said:

Well that's Solid State Hybrid Drive

You do realize that post is from a month ago, right?...

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

The Australian government claiming FTTN is the future.

HEADS UP, THIS ACCOUNT IS INACTIVE NOW

I'm keeping everything else the way it was for anyone who might check out my answers in future, but I won't be using LTT.

Don't forget to quote me when replying to me!

Please explain your question fully, so I can answer it fully.

PSU Tier List Cooler Tier List SSD Tier List  My Specs Below!

Spoiler

My PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2GHz

Cooler: Stock Wraith Spire

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mHz 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB) RGB

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming ATX

SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5"

HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm

GPU: Asus ROG Strix OC GTX 1060 6GB

Case: Cooler Master H500P

PSU: Corsair RM650i 650W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Fans: 4x Cooler Master Masterfan Pro 120 Air Balance

Spoiler

Potato Laptop (Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook, 2013):

CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3337U @ 1.8GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133mhz SODIMM (1x4GB Samsung, 1x4GB Kingston)

SSD: Kingston 24GB SSD (originally for caching)

HDD: HGST 500GB 5400rpm

GPU: Intel HD 4000 Graphics

15 hours ago, Bhav said:

Gotta get that premium build quality from Foxconn and all the other factories in China.

Honestly Apple products are just the tech equivalent of handbags. You pay more for the exact same fabric, maybe just shaped slightly differently.

Not true at all. I paid "Apple"-like prices to get my HP Spectre x360, and don't regret it at all. I paid a higher premium to get the higher premium build quality and aesthetic design.

I can respect a person that is aesthetically drawn to a Macbook, for example. If they research the specs, find two near identical devices, a Macbook, vs a comparable Windows device - if they find the Macbook more aesthetically pleasing, and they also enjoy macOS more than Windows, there's nothing wrong for paying a bit extra for those things.

Not every Macbook is good value, of course, but I haven't compared them to comparable high quality/high aesthetic Windows laptops lately, so I cannot really say how the situation is right now.

17 hours ago, Bhav said:

I know how you feel. I want to put a full custom water loop on my G4400 when it reaches 47 degrees in 100% stress testing on the stock cooler.

Well actually, I wanted to do it for the lulz but I dont have that much spare money lying around

The fact that you want to do a full custom water loop on a $62 CPU hitting 47C triggers me.

9 hours ago, kk027 said:

I've always wanted to watercool a low power card for no reason at all.

Haha my thoughts exactly xD

8 hours ago, JaegerB said:

The Australian government claiming FTTN is the future.

It's not the future, but it is a very viable intermediate alternative. FTTN can reach Gigabit and beyond speeds, with good infrastructure. I had reliable 1000/50 FTTN DOCSIS 3.0 internet for a year. Recently downgraded to 500/10 just as a cost savings measure, but both speeds were/are rock solid.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

29 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Not true at all. I paid "Apple"-like prices to get my HP Spectre x360, and don't regret it at all. I paid a higher premium to get the higher premium build quality and aesthetic design.

I can respect a person that is aesthetically drawn to a Macbook, for example. If they research the specs, find two near identical devices, a Macbook, vs a comparable Windows device - if they find the Macbook more aesthetically pleasing, and they also enjoy macOS more than Windows, there's nothing wrong for paying a bit extra for those things.

Not every Macbook is good value, of course, but I haven't compared them to comparable high quality/high aesthetic Windows laptops lately, so I cannot really say how the situation is right now.

The fact that you want to do a full custom water loop on a $62 CPU hitting 47C triggers me.

Haha my thoughts exactly xD

It's not the future, but it is a very viable intermediate alternative. FTTN can reach Gigabit and beyond speeds, with good infrastructure. I had reliable 1000/50 FTTN DOCSIS 3.0 internet for a year. Recently downgraded to 500/10 just as a cost savings measure, but both speeds were/are rock solid.

But how is it a premium build quality when its made in the same places and with the same components? Also what makes apple products any higher build quality than lets say Asus's rampage or ROG series of products? You dont even get the full in depth specifications of what goes into building Apple's hardware, all you pretty much get to rely on is faith that they are better based on nothing but brand name, which is exactly the same thing as buying handbags or designer clothes.

Linus is my fetish.

18 minutes ago, Bhav said:

But how is it a premium build quality when its made in the same places and with the same components? Also what makes apple products any higher build quality than lets say Asus's rampage or ROG series of products? You dont even get the full in depth specifications of what goes into building Apple's hardware, all you pretty much get to rely on is faith that they are better based on nothing but brand name, which is exactly the same thing as buying handbags or designer clothes.

Well let's take a look at an ASUS laptop, a G752

DSC07157.jpg?fit=1200,800

The chassis looks unfinished on the inside (is it supposed to be metal? Or just somehow painted to look like it?), there's electrical tape everywhere, wires going across places, etc. It looks like passable amount of work to get a finished product.

Now we look at a MacBook Pro from 2012 (I pulled the model randomly, most Unibody MacBooks are made like this so it wouldn't really matter anyway)

vkuKGsNkWXXe1BRv.huge

The layout looks much cleaner, there's minimal amounts of wires going around, no electrical tape placed here and there. It was clear that this layout had more thought put into it than the ASUS one.

Going to another example, way back when, I recall a review on a Falcon Northwest computer. A boutique builder that charges a lot for a gaming PC. But the reviewer noted how they did cable management. A minor detail, but most other computer builders at a lower price point would've likely been found leaving all the cables dangling around in a mess somewhere.

One could similarly ask the same thing about say food. Sure you could pay $2 a plate for at a conveyor belt sushi places and you can get you sushi fix. But go to a place where you'll spend say $60 on a sushi dinner and you can usually tell the difference. Go to a place that charges $300, and well, you're probably going to be eating works of art if you're a foodie. But to anyone else who just wants to eat raw fish on rice, the other options don't make much sense.

56 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Here in australia they're using old copper to link people to a node that services 300+ homes. It's pathetic, and in many cases slower than people's previously copper-only network. I'm one of the lucky ones getting FTTC, but the original plan was for nearly everyone to get FTTH/FTTC and recent governments have turned the NBN into a farce that one does not bring up in conversation.

I'm keeping everything else the way it was for anyone who might check out my answers in future, but I won't be using LTT.

Spoiler

My PC:

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The layout looks much cleaner, there's minimal amounts of wires going around, no electrical tape placed here and there. It was clear that this layout had more thought put into it than the ASUS one.

I mean, yeah, but Macbooks consistently get some of the lowest scores possible from IFixIt and similar sites. Sure, the Asus is "ugly", but at least all its components aren't soldered onto a single chip.

Spoiler

My PC:

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, JaegerB said:

I mean, yeah, but Macbooks consistently get some of the lowest scores possible from IFixIt and similar sites. Sure, the Asus is "ugly", but at least all its components aren't soldered onto a single chip.

For repairability.

Also I'd argue the camp isn't really any better on the ASUS side. The CPU and GPU are soldered on the main board.

38 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Well let's take a look at an ASUS laptop, a G752

DSC07157.jpg?fit=1200,800

The chassis looks unfinished on the inside (is it supposed to be metal? Or just somehow painted to look like it?), there's electrical tape everywhere, wires going across places, etc. It looks like passable amount of work to get a finished product.

Now we look at a MacBook Pro from 2012 (I pulled the model randomly, most Unibody MacBooks are made like this so it wouldn't really matter anyway)

vkuKGsNkWXXe1BRv.huge

Going to another example, way back when, I recall a review on a Falcon Northwest computer. A boutique builder that charges a lot for a gaming PC. But the reviewer noted how they did cable management. A minor detail, but most other computer builders at a lower price point would've likely been found leaving all the cables dangling around in a mess somewhere.

One could similarly ask the same thing about say food. Sure you could pay $2 a plate for at a conveyor belt sushi places and you can get you sushi fix. But go to a place where you'll spend say $60 on a sushi dinner and you can usually tell the difference. Go to a place that charges $300, and well, you're probably going to be eating works of art if you're a foodie. But to anyone else who just wants to eat raw fish on rice, the other options don't make much sense.

Youre looking at a basic Asus laptop, not a high end one. Companies other than Apple like to target all price ranges and audiences. Your example is no different to comparing a basic run of the mill H110i board board to a Rampage V Edition 10. The same, if not a higher level of quality than Apple exists from plenty of other manufacturers, if you actually compare the equivalent products.

Linus is my fetish.

3 minutes ago, Bhav said:

Youre looking at a basic Asus laptop, not a high end one. Companies other than Apple like to target all price ranges and audiences.

An ROG G752 is a basic laptop?

Huh. Good to know.

EDIT: Image came from http://laptopmedia.com/highlights/inside-asus-rog-g752-disassembly-internal-photos-and-upgrade-options/

1 hour ago, Bhav said:

Foxconn does some very high quality manufacturing. And the components and materials are definitely not always the same. An ASUS ROG desktop motherboard, is no doubt very high quality. But they also cost $300+ USD (Some of them as high as $600 USD). So that's probably a bad comparison.

And there's nothing wrong with ASUS ROG products - I never claimed there were. But the machined aluminum looks and feels great, and lasts a long time.

My Spectre, for example, a Windows based laptop, also uses machined aluminum. The construction quality of it is just fantastic. I'd personally take it over a Macbook (since... I bought it, and not a Macbook), because I dislike macOS - it's not a bad OS, it's just not for me. Had I favoured macOS more, I likely would have bought a Macbook of similar specs (though Apple doesn't offer a convertible laptop... yet anyway).

32 minutes ago, JaegerB said:

Here in australia they're using old copper to link people to a node that services 300+ homes. It's pathetic, and in many cases slower than people's previously copper-only network. I'm one of the lucky ones getting FTTC, but the original plan was for nearly everyone to get FTTH/FTTC and recent governments have turned the NBN into a farce that one does not bring up in conversation.

All good points - but as I said, it depends on the infrastructure. If you had shit infrastructure for the last mile before, then FTTN will suck. Simple. But if the infrastructure was good, then FTTN is great.

I can't comment on the political/government situation there. Totally possible it was mismanaged.

And if the last mile infrastructure was terrible, yes, the engineers should have identified that and opted to replace it all with FTTH.

30 minutes ago, JaegerB said:

iFixit ranks computers based on repairability and upgradeability. Things not everyone cares about. If I'm never going to upgrade my Spectre, then I don't care that everything is soldered on.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

If you had shit infrastructure for the last mile before, then FTTN will suck.

Yes. Speedtest ranks australian internet test speeds in the 89th percentile :P

iFixit ranks computers based on repairability and upgradeability. Things not everyone cares about. If I'm never going to upgrade my Spectre, then I don't care that everything is soldered on.

Exactly, repairability. Wouldn't you want your laptop to be fixable by yourself or a technician (without a large fee), rather than just going and buying a new laptop?

Spoiler

My PC:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Bhav said:

Meh, I honestly know nothing about laptops. They're all crap then tbh.

No offence, but if you are not knowledgeable about a subject, you shouldn't make assumptions. Not all laptops are crap. The fact that you think so, makes you biased about the very subject we are discussing, and makes it difficult for us to have an objective conversation and discussion about it.

@dalekphalm Ok, I suppose that when it comes to laptops, Apple are likely to be better than most other prebuilt ones, but then Id say thats just the age old issue of how bad pre built computers usually tend to be. You rarely see laptops opened up when comparing them or even reading tech articles about them.

Linus is my fetish.

11 minutes ago, Bhav said:

Meh, I honestly know nothing about laptops. They're all crap then tbh.

Image result for facedesk gif

Spoiler

My PC:

Spoiler

Just now, Bhav said:

@dalekphalm Ok, I suppose that when it comes to laptops, Apple are likely to be better than most other prebuilt ones, but then Id say thats just the age old issue of how bad pre built computers usually tend to be.

You're really not helping your own point :P

Your argument was that Apple was no more premium than anyone else.

My argument was that Apple (or rather, some Apple products), among a select few high end Windows Laptops, are indeed high quality, and better than others.

Not all pre-builts are made equal. There are plenty of good ones though, both in Apple and Windows ecosystems.

Just now, JaegerB said:

Image result for facedesk gif

PC gaming master race here, we do not view laptops as acceptable :P

Linus is my fetish.

1 minute ago, Bhav said:

PC gaming master race here, we do not view laptops as acceptable :P

Aaaand that's one more problem I have with PCMR xD

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

You're really not helping your own point :P

Your argument was that Apple was no more premium than anyone else.

My argument was that Apple (or rather, some Apple products), among a select few high end Windows Laptops, are indeed high quality, and better than others.

Not all pre-builts are made equal. There are plenty of good ones though, both in Apple and Windows ecosystems.

Tbh when I say that about Apple, my brain isnt thinking in terms of laptops or prebuilds, its only thinking about self builds.

I dont think I have the ability to process any prebuilt computer as having a positive quality.

Id have exactly the same opinion about Dell as well for example.

Linus is my fetish.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

So what do you do when you want to play PC games and you can't take your desktop?

Cry :(

Linus is my fetish.