Pc or ps4/Xbox one

SirFlamenco

Hi  :)

Should I buy a ps4/Xbox one for 400$ or should I go for a pc for thé same price? I saw a used one on locals ads and it’s a i5-2400 and 1050ti. Will it be better?

Thanks

So true it hurts

3 minutes ago, penmaster33 said:

go for pc, theres a lot of benifets

But I don’t have the space and monitors

So true it hurts

56 minutes ago, SirFlamenco said:

But I don’t have the space

well I think you should try to make space but console is also good if you just want to buy it and plug it in in a small space

This is largely a PC forum, so you're going to get a ton of votes for PC. However, I think there are a few questions that you need to ask yourself.

• What do your friends play on?
  • Do you have a PC otherwise? They're very useful to have, and if you don't have one the answer is easy.
  • Do you plan on playing from the couch? I find a console is a much nicer experience for couch gaming.

I see you're looking used as well, so that opens up a whole world of possibilities. Really, if you're looking at buying used either way, the Xbox has far better value if you're only gaming.

4 minutes ago, SirFlamenco said:

But I don’t have the space and monitors

Where would you be putting the console? :P

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

This is largely a PC forum, so you're going to get a ton of votes for PC. However, I think there are a few questions that you need to ask yourself.

• Do you have a PC otherwise? They're very useful to have, and if you don't have one the answer is easy.
  • Do you plan on playing from the couch? I find a console is a much nicer experience for couch gaming.

I see you're looking used as well, so that opens up a whole world of possibilities. Really, if you're looking at buying used either way, the Xbox has far better value if you're only gaming.

Under the tv, there is always place but a pc is much bigger

So true it hurts

I'd get the PS4, has really decent exclusives, its solid for the asking price, an used rig with an i5 2400 is not exactly day dreaming eh... would only go PC if can afford decent enough parts so your experience is ensured to be above console otherwise go console.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

check out the exclusives and upcoming exclusives. if any of them interest you, get either of them. preferably ps4 since it's prime time for it now 

9 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

check out the exclusives and upcoming exclusives. if any of them interest you, get either of them. preferably ps4 since it's prime time for it now 

14 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I'd get the PS4, has really decent exclusives, its solid for the asking price, an used rig with an i5 2400 is not exactly day dreaming eh... would only go PC if can afford decent enough parts so your experience is ensured to be above console otherwise go console.

18 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

as @dizmo said, do you have friends that play and which platform?

are there any exclusives you want to play on any of the consoles?

24 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Yea plus I prefer getting 30 fps stable with no dips and there are much more exclusivites on console, along with way less hacking. 

So true it hurts

What I can say is that if you go for console, get the ps4.

.... Also eventually when you get a capable pc, once you play with 60 fps, you won't want to go back to 30, I promise.

5 hours ago, SirFlamenco said:

Should I buy a ps4/Xbox one for 400$ or should I go for a pc for thé same price? I saw a used one on locals ads and it’s a i5-2400 and 1050ti. Will it be better?

Thanks

for me there are only two real reasons to choose one or the other. What your friends have so you can actually play with them and what are the exclusives you like the most. A part from that xbox one x has more raw power than ps4 pro, something that only actually matters if your tv supports 4k.

actually consoles don't always give you a smooth experience, that's a myth. And in PC you just lower the settings and there is always a setting that gives you a smooth experience, unless of course you're playing on something so old it can't run anything.

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I'd really debate on what you're looking for. An i5-2400 and a 1050 Ti is not gonna be the most pleasant thing to play games on.

It really depends on the game and what you're expecting/wanting. If you're trying to go for modern AAA titles on 1440p ultramax settings, then sure. But if you just want to skirt by on 1080p from medium or high, then it's fine.

If you're going to get a console, don't spend $400 on it. Sony will probably have the PS4 Slim back to $200 in a couple of weeks and Microsoft will then have to respond by dropping the XBox One S to $200, maybe even with a bundled game.

Crap, my bad, didn't see you were talking Canadian dollars. I know Sony typically has big console sales for Christmas in the US, so I'd suspect you might see that $280 CAD Black Friday level pricing back for the PS4 in a couple of weeks. And then XBox One will have to follow suit if so.

buy a pc when you get larger space and budget, before that, buy a console

On 2.12.2017 at 3:17 AM, SirFlamenco said:

Thanks

The PC won't be better.

The first thing you have to ask is what you want to play and are there any exclusives you want to play on what plattform...

PS4 has some good exclusives - but they are mostly japanese style ones.

While The XBox has more western stile exclusives like the halo series.

In the end, your choice...

But there is one gigantic advantage for the PS4:
You can swap the drive easily. Without voiding the warranty. You only need a PH1 screwdriver and the new (=faster) drive...

And remember that ~500GB isn't that huge for the Playstation.

If you want to swap the drive, use a 1TB SSD or at least a ~500GB one with the original 1TB in an external USB3.0 Case...

On 2.12.2017 at 3:18 AM, penmaster33 said:

go for pc, theres a lot of benifets

Not for 400 bucks - except you can get one used deal.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 2.12.2017 at 9:49 PM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

If you're going to get a console, don't spend $400 on it. Sony will probably have the PS4 Slim back to $200 in a couple of weeks and Microsoft will then have to respond by dropping the XBox One S to $200, maybe even with a bundled game.

I'd still go for PS4 PRO and Xbox one X if possible.

Especially the XBox normal is something I'd avoid, the X is almost a new generation so much better it is. 

PS4 vs. PRO is something you can debate, though you have some advantages over the normal PS4 - like Boost Mode or in some games the choice between better graphics or performance.

Don't know about HDR and other stuff though...

PS:
Some games will crash with Boost Mode. Like Tomb Raider (the first remake) in some situations...

14 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

I'd still go for PS4 PRO and Xbox one X if possible.

Especially the XBox normal is something I'd avoid, the X is almost a new generation so much better it is. 

PS4 vs. PRO is something you can debate, though you have some advantages over the normal PS4 - like Boost Mode or in some games the choice between better graphics or performance.

Don't know about HDR and other stuff though...

PS:
Some games will crash with Boost Mode. Like Tomb Raider (the first remake) in some situations...

These mid generation console refreshes are so horribly bottlenecked by the crap cpus in the systems. It's like taking a GTX 1060 and running it with a garbage FX-4100. If I had a PS4 Pro I would never use boost mode since I'd rather have a stable 30fps than a jumpy 40 fps. Plus I imagine a PS4 Slim will on average have lower failure rates than a PS4 Pro since it consumes a lot less power and thus generates a lot less heat. I think it's something to consider when consoles only offer stingy one year warranties. And I'd avoid all XBox models personally. I don't think any of their systems make much sense unless you're really into Forza, Halo, or Gears of War and don't have a gaming PC considering how limited their exclusive catalog is.

Just now, SteveGrabowski0 said:

These mid generation console refreshes are so horribly bottlenecked by the crap cpus in the systems.

Thats just your oppinion and far from the truth.

Because there are many more factors.

ANd we are talking about an 8 core CPU...

It's like taking a GTX 1060 and running it with a garbage FX-4100.

Bad example, because many graphics setting don't do much for the CPU.

ANd the FX4100 is what? a 30$ CPU??

Well, at least the 4300 was quite good for its price. And starts most games even now...

If I had a PS4 Pro I would never use boost mode since I'd rather have a stable 30fps than a jumpy 40 fps.

You have no idea what "Boost mode" is about...

Boost mode means that the PS4 PRO runs 'unlimited' with maximum clock speed and all GPU clusters.

When you deactivate it it behaves like a normal PS4 - and deactivates about half of the GPU and reduces clocks.

Plus I imagine a PS4 Slim will on average have lower failure rates than a PS4 Pro since it consumes a lot less power and thus generates a lot less heat. I think it's something to consider when consoles only offer stingy one year warranties.

+Bigger HEatsink

Without actually MEASURING the temperature of those units, you can't say anything. Because, as you can see, you can also use a bigger heatsink and a bigger fan. 

So in the end, we don't know much more. And it is even possible that the PS4 slim gets hotter because of the smaller heatsink and fan.

Also the PS4 Pro doesn't always run at "full power", depends on the game.

What I've measured is something around 100 or 120W for games like FFXII and up to 180W but most are aroudn 140-160W.