GPU - which and when/1440p

Arcca

Hello,
I currently have R9 270x, and I am in need of an upgrade. I'm not buying anything right now, but researching what would be better options.
I'm going to use my current 1080p 144Hz monitor for cs:go, and eventually will buy a 1440p 60Hz monitor for less fps demanding games/photo stuff.

We all know the current pricing on GPU's, so first question would be how long to wait for, while I don't have a pressing need for a GPU right now.
And which card to buy at all? I'm looking at Vega 56 at the moment, since I am looking at FreeSync monitors, due to my existing one being FreeSync and my 1440p monitor is going to be FreeSync as well.
Obviously, low budget is important, but I would rather the card would last a couple years, so I suppose a slight overkill would be alright? I'd rather have more educated opinions on this.

If you can live without the screen tearing tech, i'd go with an Nvidia card right now (1070, 1080) or wait until next line drops in a few months. The vegas are just so power hungry and I'm worried about longevity of the card because of the power hunger and the heat that must give off. I'd love if team red came out with a good card but right now, they just don't have one in the 1440p range that's worth the money. 

If you want freesync unfortunately your only real high-end option is a Vega card but those can be scarce and I believe pricey. But if you can find one especially with an aftermarket cooler you'd be doing well.

An RX 580 will work but will definitely struggle to give you the Fps do you want at each resolution with AAA games.

Other than those two options that leaves you with Nvidia 1070, 1070Ti, 1080 or 1080 TI, and  sticking with vsync to prevent screen tearing... in which case you probably want to lean more towards Overkill to keep your ability to produce FPS well above your refresh rate(if you accomplish that then freesync and gsync don't make any difference since you're over driving the monitor refresh anyway).

FYI, I run a 1080ti with my 1440p screen at 75 Hertz and vsync and it works very well.

5 hours ago, silkenmeerkat said:

If you can live without the screen tearing tech, i'd go with an Nvidia card right now (1070, 1080) or wait until next line drops in a few months. The vegas are just so power hungry and I'm worried about longevity of the card because of the power hunger and the heat that must give off. I'd love if team red came out with a good card but right now, they just don't have one in the 1440p range that's worth the money. 

The vega 56s tdp is 210w. By contrast the 1080ti is 250w at stock. The 290x/390x cards are like 300w and people mined with them for years. 

It would be nice if the tdp was lower for the environment and such, but in terms of longevity and increased energy bill, the difference is likely negligible. The 1080 is 185w i think, a whopping 25w less IF you dont oc them(and who doesnt). 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

31 minutes ago, maizenblue said:

The vega 56s tdp is 210w. By contrast the 1080ti is 250w at stock. The 290x/390x cards are like 300w and people mined with them for years. 

It would be nice if the tdp was lower for the environment and such, but in terms of longevity and increased energy bill, the difference is likely negligible. The 1080 is 185w i think, a whopping 25w less IF you dont oc them(and who doesnt). 

That's true, but remember those numbers are indeed "Typical Board Power" (AKA the typical power consumption at 100% Power Target and 99% GPU utilization). With that out of the way, the GTX 1080 Ti has way better performance per watt compared to the previous generations, and much more so compared to AMD's offerings as of now.

The GeForce GTX 1070 Ti and GTX 1080 uses the same silicon (with the difference being for the 1070 Ti is one missing SM), and are both rated for 180 watts of board power (assuming the same stock parameters).

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440