Do not use toothpaste!

Old_Guy

Hi have the HAF-X full tower case. Looked on the wonderful internet to find some ideas on removing scratches from the side window panel. One suggestion was try toothpaste because of the granular particles in toothpaste and rub it into the scratch. Well tried it and it just made it worse. All it will do is leave a big blurry smudge with little scatches and not come off. Apparently coolmaster uses a soft pexi glass for this case so its prone to scratches. Just putting this out there for anyone looking to remove scratches from their side window panel. Anyone have the solution for this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the tip. I made this same type of mistake myself as well Awhile back i had an old computer. I had put a sticker on top of it. A few months later i wanted to remove it, so i took it off but it left alot of that nasty sticker residue. I searched online and found a post telling me to use toothpaste and tooth brush to scrub out the residue. Well i did and needless to say the entire thing was just covered in scratches. Turns out for the type of material my case was all i had to do was use wd40 and a little scrubbing with a paper towel and it comes right out and made it shiny i found all this out after removing another sticker on the case. So basically i would not recommend the toothpaste method to anyone for doing anything to your case.

If your scratches are deep, and an annoyance you can easily replace the plexi.

Remove the window from the case, and take it to the nearest glazier (glass shop) they will be able to make an duplicate for you at a relatively low cost. Or you could pick up a small sheet of plexi and try to cut it yourself.

I can tell you from experience, there is no cure for scratches on plexi. They can not be buffed out, only slightly polished to make them stand out less.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

Just to clarify why this doesn't work and that its a bad idea.

Toothpaste contains small abrasive particles (sand or something like that, because they help clean your teeth), so using toothpaste on a surface that scratches easy will just make more marks as what happened in the OPs case.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

If your scratches are deep, and an annoyance you can easily replace the plexi.

Remove the window from the case, and take it to the nearest glazier (glass shop) they will be able to make an duplicate for you at a relatively low cost. Or you could pick up a small sheet of plexi and try to cut it yourself.

I can tell you from experience, there is no cure for scratches on plexi. They can not be buffed out, only slightly polished to make them stand out less.

You could repair it, I have done it to car headlights and CD's. Toothpaste is the right idea but usually its far too coarse.

Depending on the depth of the scratch you would want to wet sand it with 1200-2000 grit sand paper working your way up to 8000 grit. You need to do it with a machine polisher as plastics require a fair amount of heat, and use professional compounds. Buff it with a coarse compound like Farcela G3 on a dense foam head, then step it up to G10, switch to a soft foam head and use something like 3M Ultrafina to finish it off.

It's obviously quite expensive though if you don't have that stuff lying around, the best bet is probably to pick up a replacement like Ruecan said.

Great thanks for the suggestions guys.

You should look up "How to Apply Thermal Paste the Kentucky Way" by razethew0rld being i can't hyperlink anything here for the life of me lol. Not a fan of this whole V-bulletin forum setup.

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

cooler master does a very good job having replacement panels and such available if you want a replacement

they have the windowed panel in stock for $25 (us) http://www.cmstore-usa.com/haf-x-transparent-acrylic-side-window-panel-oem-package/

LOL they should have since they made their windows so easy to get scratched up. Quite genius of them to make a sub par product and sell replacements for it.

The Internet is invented by cats. Why? Why else would it have so much cat videos?

• 4 weeks later...

I don't like the Kentucky way i just fell like there isnt enough water or toothpaste 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

being from auto motive trade and replacing the motors in clusters we use a product called PlasticX from Maguiers its fine enough that it dosent scratch soft plastics and also good enought to cover up small scratches . i use this on plastic sheilds on instument clusters (above mentioned) as well as lense covers, watch faces , and the plastic window for my 800d and my lexan r/c bodies to give them a nice sheen. it way not remove 'said " scratch but it will atleast leason the glare atleast till you can replace it !

I think the idea was derived from the whole, clearing the fog on your car headlights with toothpaste. But it definitely won't work on Acrylic.
Thanks for the warning.

I figured out toothpaste sucks for removing scrates first hand. I've used hairgel in the past, but on DVD's. I've never tried it on my case.

• 2 months later...

I don't like the Kentucky way i just fell like there isnt enough water or toothpaste

I've tried toothpaste for glass scratches and it didn't result in worsening the problem.

You should look up "How to Apply Thermal Paste the Kentucky Way" by razethew0rld being i can't hyperlink anything here for the life of me lol. Not a fan of this whole V-bulletin forum setup.

Here you go. 

Here you go. 

Bro... that was back when this forum was on V-Bulletin. Dat thread revive :P

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Toothpaste is also not a very good thermal compound for you CPU.

no shit sherlock... 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

no shit sherlock... 

Yeah its obvious, thats the joke you dawg.

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

Toothpaste is also not a very good thermal compound for you CPU.

Hey, I've used it in a pinch when I was out of regular thermal compound and only for a day or test setup for less than a day. Crazy for long term I do agree but in a pinch, its fine. Beats nothing.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

if you want to get glue residue off use sunflower oil

xxX| Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H | H100 | GTX 670 SLi | Corsair 500R White | Corsait SP120 | AX1200i | Vengance 24Gb Black-CL9-1600MHz |Xxx