Dell U2718Q - connections

Hey guys, hope everyone enjoyed the vacations.

I bought a Dell u2718q monitor (very good deal !!), i will receive it in a couple of days. I am planning to connect my 2 laptops to it. one will be through the HDMI and the other through the thunderbolt (the only avaialble in xps 9360 for some reason !!). Now i have 2 questions please

1- can I use the included displayport to mini displayport cable to connect the monitor to the thunderbolt port in XPS 13? or is it a different port and I have to use a thunderbolt/ usb C to displayport cable?

2- i have a USB wireless mouse and keyboard, what will be the best way to connect those to both laptops at the same time without a lot of hassle. I thought of connecting the USB receiver to the downstream port of the monitor but I am not sure if that will allow me using them with both laptops

what do you think?

1. The XPS doesn't have mini displayport, so you can't use a mini displayport cable. You have to use USB Type C to mini DP, DP or HDMI.

2. Synergy, I guess. It's an open source program, that is (seemingly intentionally?) made hard to compile, so they have an option in which you can buy the program. Otherwise you can also use a hardware KVM switch.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

thx for your answer. 

will it work with the following setup?

connect the monitor downstream to a usb hub, connect the 2 laptops to the hub, connect the wireless usb receiver in the monitor