Windows 7 trying to resume random "install" on boot

PenguinActually
Go to solution Solved by Benjals,

Windows+R>msconfig>Boot tab>delete faulty boot option

For the last month or so, every time I boot my PC I get an option to pick which OS. I only have Windows 7 installed on my SSD, my HDD just has programs and basically everything else. I've not tried to install windows 7 again on the hard drive and my SSD is in 1 partition so there's no way to have a 2nd install on it, for whatever reason you'd want 2 installs of the same OS. Here's some pictures of the boot options

Boot option 1: Windows 7 - tries to continue an install from who knows where, is met with an error saying the CD/USB is missing and the install can't continue. Pressing Enter restarts PC and goes back to select OS, will pick this option again if you don't intervene.

Boot option 2: Windows 7 - Boots normally into my OS that I've been using for the last 6-8 months.

I want to get rid of this option to try continue a random "install" but I can't figure out how to stop the option 1 from coming up and I can't find any information about something like this happening or how to sort it out. I just keep running across people having the install starting over and over every time they turn their PC on and similar install issues, or how to guides on installing windows.

I tried running "Repair my computer" on my normal install, and run the boot problem fix but of course it never did anything to the other boot option.

Agree, as it's a windows install, so the windows boot manager runs, then msconfig is your answer as @Benjals said. If it was linux and the GRUB boot manager had options that needed configuring/deleting then you'd use grub manager either from inside the OS itself or from a liveUSB/CD.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

9 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

snip

Yeah beyond fixing it though, I don't really have an idea as to how the second boot option appeared.
Possibly a crash you may have had or a similar error resulted in this, but if you haven't initiated any OS installs then you should be fine just removing the faulty option.

Yeah the BIOs was never touched. Just had this "continue install" pop up from nowhere.

After a month of messing with stuff on and off. 20 seconds to delete the other boot option and it's fixed.

Thank you so much