Sexual Harassment Allegations vs Musicians

Noyu

So in light of the recent sexual harrassment allegations and controversy in Hollywood, social media has also shed light to sexual harassment prevalent in our local indie scene.

Male band members would make predatory moves on female fans (incl. minors).

Moving on, some of the keyboard warriors have explicitly showed disgust to the bands involved, and even posted screenshots of them removing the bands' songs from their Spotify libraries/playlist.

Isn't this an overreaction to the issue? I mean how does the sexual harassment claims affect their music.

Personally, I still keep them on my playlists and libraries. I like their music as it's refreshing to hear non-pop indie songs (+points for local) once in a while.

I do not condone sexual harassment, but IMO they should be kept separate from actual talent.

Actually, a lot of gigs and events have dropped said bands from their lineup. Some bars even banned the bands from playing in their location.

This one I understand. This is to avoid further issues/controversy that may arise.

Thoughts? Let's say Red Hot Chili Peppers received such allegations? Would you stop listening to them??

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

If a band like Linkin Park or other bands I like, Imagine Dragons, Nothing But Thieves, Burn The Ballroom, etc got allegations like that I probably wouldn't stop listening to them. I enjoy the music and the writing, Linkin Park especially.

Linkin Park is a special favorite of mine, death itself is probably the only thing that will stop me from listening to them.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I enjoy the music and the writing

my point exactly. this is what's important.

I feel like the fans who stopped listening to them didn't really like "like" their music in the first place. Probably just bandwagonners.

but I guess, to each his own.

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

Just now, Noyu said:

bandwagonners.

Ahahaha I see what you did there <lenny face>

But yes, I prefer the writing and general sound over the people(with the sole exception of Linkin Park, they seem like really great guys and I look forward to hopefully meeting them someday)

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I look forward to hopefully meeting them someday

me too! albeit the -1. :(

Karamo

Spoiler

Just now, Noyu said:

me too! albeit the -1. :(

#MakeChesterProud

Not sure if you ever got around to watching it, but their Celebrate Life concert back in October was brilliant. Probably the best way I could've spent 3 hours

I listen to music by convicted murders, self proclaimed neo-nazis and people that have been convicted of a slew of other crimes.

So no, the allegations wouldn't stop me.

Although, I have had a bit of a hard time enjoying LostProphets ever since the trial against Ian Watkins.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Honestly. It depends. Allegations, no. Convicted & backed up with solid evidence, yeah that might change my opinion especially if it was a band member that was crucial to the band.

One example I can think of is Tripp Eisen former Static-X, Dope & Murderdolls guitarist, way back in like 2004 he was charged & sentenced for soliciting sex with with a minor & later on sex & kidnapping another minor, the dude is a piece of shit, but was never an integral part to the bands he was part of just a hired gun to play on albums mostly, not many writing credits. So I still listen to those bands & don't have an issue, especially since Edsel Dope disowned him & refuses to have anything to do with him, likewise the Murderdolls were the same. I also assume Wayne Static before his passing had a similar opinion of Tripp.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14