How likely is it that we lose net neutrality?

Phantonex
1 hour ago, avg123 said:

or  throttling

Oh really?

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/03/netflix-says-it-will-pay-tolls-to-more-isps-not-just-comcast/

http://mattvukas.com/2014/02/10/comcast-definitely-throttling-netflix-infuriating/

The ISPs have been throttling content providers that were competing with their own junk for quite some time.  People reported massive hiccups and low bandwidth when running Netflix' testing tool directly, yet having zero issues when connecting through a VPN.  Once Netflix agreed to pay Comcast, all of a sudden everything was fine again. 

Edited by wkdpaul
cleaned up

It's been going on for years now. Not only in America, but the rest of the world. It's only more obvious over there, because of the retarded deals ISPs have. The only thing that will change is that companies have to be more open about it. Which can be a good AND bad thing.

3 hours ago, avg123 said:

We had "net neutrality" for only 18 months. The internet has existed for decades without any regulation or  throttling and it will continue to do so after it is repealed.

People need to stop losing their shit about this. Nothing will change.

I disagree like @Captain Chaos pointed out, and it's been proven from many other sources, Comcast had previously slowed down people's connection to sites.

I think a lot will change, you say that we've only had net neutrality for 18 months, in those 18 months Comcast and TWC have only gotten bigger and more greedy. The president of our country has appointed a lobbyist from Verizon to the leader of the FCC. Oh and Verizon is the largest cell service provider in the US, what's to stop them from restricting people's access to sites?

Spoiler

[CPU] - Intel Core i5-4590  

[Motherboard] - MSI B85-G43 GAMING 

[RAM] - Kingston HyperX Beast (2x4GB) 1866Mhz... CPU only supports 1600Mhz

[SSD] - A-Data SP600 128GB SSD

[HDD]- 1Tb Seagate Barracuda

[GPU] - EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC

[Case] - Corsair SPEC-03 White 

[PSU] - Rosewill 450W 80+Bronze

7 hours ago, avg123 said:

We had "net neutrality" for only 18 months. The internet has existed for decades without any regulation or  throttling and it will continue to do so after it is repealed.

People need to stop losing their shit about this. Nothing will change.

not true at all.

Net Neutrality was the DeFacto rule for 50 years. isps were just too scared at the time to push the boundaries.  then they started merging, and buying out all their competition, now that there is no competition, they can do whatever they want.

ISPs started getting bolder and throttling competing services, @trufret posted a couple examples, but there are dozens if not hundreds more. "Net Neutrality" laws were put into place to stop their bullshit and enforce the defacto rulings.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

10 hours ago, poker1059 said:

Here in the US, as many of you know, we are at risk of losing our net neutrality laws that keep ISP's in check. So, what happens if the FCC does roll back the laws. Some friends and I were having some discussions and I figure a lot can speculate on how other companies will react to this. 

My opinion - If we lose net neutrality, Time Warner Cable and Comcast (the largest ISPs in the US that hold monopolies in many areas) will make users and/or companies pay for services like Amazon, Facebook, Google, etc. but in turn companies like Google and Amazon that have the money and infrastructure will start working on there own Internet Service that is in favor of net neutrality to create more competition against TWC and Comcast. Obviously they can't create an internet structure overnight, and It'd take time, but I think in the end Google and Amazon could make more money for their company through this by giving people another option over TWC or Comcast. As long as they provide a better service. 

Honestly the most I think will happen is some throttling, of service like Netflix, BitTorrent and others. Public backlash would be great if they did what you think they will do. All that will cause is many more cities going to Muni Fiber and more people to cut the cord. Also, while wired broadband might be limited, more areas have a few cellular providers. Next year I think is the mid term elections where part of congress gets replaced, Hopefully. So if they fuck things up now, it can be fixed some time next year or the year after. Congress could make net neutrality law, which would tie the FCC's hands as it would be on the boots as a law and not just a ruling by a Federal agency. I think thats all we could hope for. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.