Intel issues security alert for processors vulnerable to remote attack

so wait. is it bios or chipset related?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

12 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

Chipset as far as I can tell.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Patched it today, ASUS have the stuff on their site for Z270 boards.

so they admit there's a security risk and provide a tool to detect if you are in danger. any announcement on when they will fix it and what is the temporary solution? I just saw someone post their detection result. it's like 'too bad you are in danger, sorry theres nothing you can do LOL'

2 minutes ago, Devin92 said:

so they admit there's a security risk and provide a tool to detect if you are in danger. any announcement on when they will fix it and what is the temporary solution? I just saw someone post their detection result. it's like 'too bad you are in danger, sorry theres nothing you can do LOL'

Intel's already provided the patch for their chipsets. It's still up to OEMs to push it into their patch process since chipset updates and BIOS updates are done differently for each OEM's boards.

So.. what should I do if i can't even get an update to work on my pc? Maybe reinstall windows?

I love it when "improvements" leave holes in security, I'm fortunate to have chosen Hawell over skylake in this instance when I built my pc.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

10 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

I love it when "improvements" leave holes in security, I'm fortunate to have chosen Hawell over skylake in this instance when I built my pc.

As someone who's had to design security into software, any time you do a design from scratch, there are flaws. And provable security has a very limited scope. It's not nearly the conspiracy people think it is.

26 minutes ago, Bit_Guardian said:

As someone who's had to design security into software, any time you do a design from scratch, there are flaws. And provable security has a very limited scope. It's not nearly the conspiracy people think it is.

Wan't saying it was I'm just referring to how bloat leads to gaps, and most additions are fluff mixed with a couple actual improvements that the end user will notice

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

23 hours ago, CubesTheGamer said:

I found it to not quite speak more of the security flaw so much as they just spoke of the detection tool. My post/article focuses more around the flaw itself than the detection tool.

You would do well in science.

7 hours ago, Sierra Fox said:

If it's the Management Engine, then it's actually CPU-related. But since the motherboard is in between the CPU and everything that matters, there is probably a workaround based on the motherboard's firmware to prevent the specific attack detected (i.e., break some ME functionality from the motherboard side).

Is the Pentium G4560 and the other Kaby-/Skylake pentiums affected as well? 

3 hours ago, Vacras said:

Is the Pentium G4560 and the other Kaby-/Skylake pentiums affected as well? 

Since they are 6th/7th generation Core architecture, yes should be the default assumption. Mind you, depending on your board, it might not exist on your motherboard/chipset to begin with.

So... when are they going to recall our 6/7th gen Cpu to be replaced by 8/9th one with BIOS update to make them work on our old boards?

We should make a scandal like for SWBF II and demand justice!

23 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

So... when are they going to recall our 6/7th gen Cpu to be replaced by 8/9th one with BIOS update to make them work on our old boards?

We should make a scandal like for SWBF II and demand justice!

It's not the CPU that's the issue technically. It's the chipsets for those generations, or to be even more precise, the communication protocol between the two. It's a microcode and chipset update. No recall required. Intel already released the fix to motherboard OEMs. They have to integrate it into a BIOS update.

ru6CoMKHRdGjSW0kxUYydA.png
Looks like I'm good.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx