My NVidia 1050 freezes my computer!!

I hope someone can help me. I am looking for a software that can validate the stability of my NVidia 1050.

If you want all the details please read below:

On summer I got my new PC. The specs are intel i7 6800K, MSI X99A SLI Plus, G.Skill 32GB DDR4-2400Mhz.

Please note, I have Turbo Boost disabled and I do not overclock anything. Standard stock speeds to everything.

I installed Windows 10 and it was working great.

Originally I was using that hardware with a very old Nvidia 250GTS.

So about 2 weeks ago, I decided to go 4K, so I got rid off of my 2K Dell 27inch monitor, and got instead a 40inch Samsung UE40MU6402.

Great TV, supports 4k uncompressed and very cheap too. 

So the Nvidia 250GTS doesn't support 4K, so I replaced it with an MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Aero ITX 2G OC 2GB.

I connect the TV with the 1050 with a HDMI 2.0 cable (2metres cable).

So it's working good BUT I then started noticing some weird performance. Sometimes the computer freezes. The mouse freezes, nothing is moving, keyboard freezes, and even the reset switch on the PC case doesn't work!!

So my first thought was it could be the memory. So I ran MemTest 86+ for more than 8 hours. It managed to do 3 full passes with no errors at all.

After a week of having these random freezes, I then noticed that some random times (without freezes) some pixels on the screen that supposed to be black, were going black white. Some really random pixels, they were almost like flashing.

That was when I got the idea that it could be something wrong with my 1050. So I turned off the computer, opened the Tower case, and noticed that my 1050 wasn't pushed all the way in the PCI-E slot.

I thought "that was definitely the problem", but no.... it didn't stopped the PC from freezing. So I updated to the latest drivers. Nope, still freezing. So I reopened the case completely the removed the 1050, and reinstalled it firmly. 

Nope, still getting freeze at random times.

So 3 questions here:

1) Could the GFX card gone bad because I had it for more than 2 weeks not inserted correctly?

2) Is there any software I could test the card for stability like the MemTest 86+ is for memory?

3) is there anything else you could advise me?

Sorry for the long post. Thank you so much for reading.

3 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

set the scaling to gpu instead of monitor , or vice versa

I don't use scaling, I have it at 100%. That's why I got 40 inches :-)

Screenshot_3.png

20 minutes ago, spyderrp7 said:

I don't use scaling, I have it at 100%. That's why I got 40 inches :-)

Screenshot_3.png

that not the scaling i meant lmao

i said set the scaling to gpu instead of monitor :P

Untitled.png.57d1732445d1089f29047b1ae8635aca.png

(◑‿◐)

Wow!! I have never seen that setting before!

What does is it do? I mean I run the native resolution of the TV, and I only run Windows on that resolution. I don't run any games at all or any other program that would use other than the native TV resolution.

It might take a few days to validate if the freeze go away, since it's quite random how and when it happens.

So I have set it to GPU and fingers crossed, let's see what happens!

Thank you for the advise!

I got another 2 freezes even after changing the scaling. I even tried the MSI Kombustor application to check for the GPU memory overnight. No errors there. What else could I check?

IMG_20171127_095124.jpg

1050 at 4k? That's never going to work right.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

did you uninstall the 250gts or use ddu and install new drivers or did you let windows do everything?

3 hours ago, Running Raptors said:

Try running the computer off of another GPU if you have one and see if the same probably persists. 

This. Just try running with that monitor on a different GPU.

You have already clean installed drivers so I doubt it is the GPU drivers. Unless you didn't clean install the drivers and just installed them over the old ones. If that is the case, remove them first, then clean install the drivers.

if the problem is gone with another GPU, the GPU is bad, RMA it, should still be under warranty.

If the problem persists, something else is wrong. (Possibly memory, PSU or a software problem).

20 minutes ago, asand1 said:

1050 at 4k? That's never going to work right.

That 1050 has an HDMI 2.0b output, which supports 4K at 60FPS.

Of course the card isnt fast enough to game with at 4K, but there is no reason he should not be able to use the PC in Windows on a 4K monitor / TV. Don't spread confusing information.

Sure it'll wotk fine for email and surfing the web. But it'll be shit for gaming and will probably be miserable for watching movies even. 

Just because I have a trailer hitch on my Honda civic doesn't mean I can launch a boat does it?

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

On 11/29/2017 at 9:20 PM, pas008 said:

did you uninstall the 250gts or use ddu and install new drivers or did you let windows do everything?

WIth the 250GTS I had installed drivers 342.01.

As far as I remember I must have installed the latest drivers 388.31 over it after I switched with the 1050.

So I let the Nvidia installer to update everything.

No issues with the installation, everything went fine.

On 11/29/2017 at 9:57 PM, asand1 said:

Sure it'll wotk fine for email and surfing the web. But it'll be shit for gaming and will probably be miserable for watching movies even. 

Just because I have a trailer hitch on my Honda civic doesn't mean I can launch a boat does it?

Why would it be miserable for watching movies?

Anyway, I don't play games, I just need a lot of workspace in my setup, that's why I moved on to 4K.

Revert all your CPU driven changes in your bios.

Go back to PROPER defaults, iE your Turbo Boost disabled.. remove that too.
FULL STOCK

Then diagnose problems.

So many times a motherboard has caused random 3D issues due to CPU settings in the bios for whatever reasons.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally have found the solution.

I had to adjust NVidia power management setting from optimal to max!

No freezes now!

Thank you all for the help!