Upgrade from i3 4170 or Switch to a new platform?

Hello forums. I am currently thinking about switching CPUs by the end of the year (Black Friday/Cyber Monday & or Christmas). So I am going to different forums to see if I could get any suggestions and opinions on if I should switch or upgrade, (maybe even stay). My main goal of this upgrade is too get more performance for gaming, and having browsers/videos up in the background. Playing at 1080p currently. I mainly play CS:GO or PUBG, but later on, likely will get other games.

At the moment, I am running a Asus M32AD prebuilt (yea I know), with upgrades. This build currently has a haswell i3 4170, Single 8GB stick, paired with a H81 mobo, if I am not mistaken. (Specs for the prebuilt w/o upgrades - https://www.asus.com/us/Tower-PCs/M32AD/specifications/

I have upgraded the PSu to an EVGA 500w 80+ white, and the gpu to an XFX RX 470 Black Edition (I believe) 4GB.

Also, I am not an expert when it comes to pc hardware and such, and I should probably look more into it, especially with what I am currently using. If you are gonna suggest upgrading to a overclocking chip, I know very little of it and have zero experience on how to overclock.

If there are any other questions, I will try my best to answer them, and any information I couldn't think of, that I should've put on this thread.

If you are in the US, Frys have a Black Friday deal for a Ryzen 1600 with a B350 motherboard for $189. Right now you can buy a Ryzen 1700X for $209 from Staples (110% price match with Microcenter). And yes, definitely upgrade, especially if you can get good deals like this.

Switch platforms and go with Ryzen. Amazing future upgrade path filled with all kinds of price and performance options. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

20 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

If you are in the US, Frys have a Black Friday deal for a Ryzen 1600 with a B350 motherboard for $189. Right now you can buy a Ryzen 1700X for $209 from Staples (110% price match with Microcenter). And yes, definitely upgrade, especially if you can get good deals like this.

Oh, those are some pretty good deals. Thanks!

18 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Switch platforms and go with Ryzen. Amazing future upgrade path filled with all kinds of price and performance options. 

Oh, cool! Thanks for the help.

Be careful with Staples though and confirm everything with any price match. Though that deal may already have sold out. The Micro Center and Fry's deals though are still viable.

Only big expense will be the RAM. Haswell chips are grossly overpriced too though.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Only big expense will be the RAM. Haswell chips are grossly overpriced too though.

Yea, unfortunately.

8 hours ago, johnukguy said:

Can you link the deal of the Ryzen 1600 & B350 Mobo?

Come to think on it, if I sold my cpu, mobo and RAM, I would probably not even be a $100 away from getting a decent Ryzen build myself if I felt so inclined.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

On 11/20/2017 at 11:14 PM, johnukguy said:

Wait. If I bought this at the store, I wouldn't need to show the deal or a promo code for the deal right?

I'd only need the promo code for ordering it online? Because I couldn't find these deals within my emails.

Does anyone know?