Cablemods cables, Paracord or Nylon?

Watashi

I'm about to purchase my first set of cable mod cables! However, I am not sure whether I should purchase Paracord or Nylon sleeves. I imagine that this choice is almost entirely subjective, and opinion based. However, I was curious which type of sleeves that you guys would choose and why?

I'd go for paracord. It looks and feels nicer and is more flexible than nylon. It's not quite as durable though and if you catch it on something sharp, it can snag and make little tufts. 

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I'd go for paracord. It looks and feels nicer and is more flexible than nylon. It's not quite as durable though and if you catch it on something sharp, it can snag and make little tufts. 

That reminds me of the sleeve of the cord for my Protegius G502 by Logitech (I probably butchered that spelling, but seriously who cares?). I snagged it, and I would take a picture to show you the tufts, but my girlfriend's son is currently using my phone. However, I don't think that I'll even need to worry about snagging. The cables really aren't going far, and are getting routed through nearby grommets. 

1 minute ago, Doomerson said:

That reminds me of the sleeve of the cord for my Protegius G502 by Logitech (I probably butchered that spelling, but seriously who cares?). I snagged it, and I would take a picture to show you the tufts, but my girlfriend's son is currently using my phone. However, I don't think that I'll even need to worry about snagging. The cables really aren't going far, and are getting routed through nearby grommets. 

Yeah, the tuft "issue" isn't really a problem for most people as you run the cables once and then you're done, not like there's going to be much to snag on. 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Yeah, the tuft "issue" isn't really a problem for most people as you run the cables once and then you're done, not like there's going to be much to snag on. 

I also had a very interesting issue with my cables. I have to route all of my cables going into my motherboards I/O because of the case I'm using. I'm "forced" to tie my cables down too. And while I was snipped a tie, I accidentally caught a bit of my mouse's sleeve :ph34r:. Oh well adds some character to it :P

Just as a note Modmesh (nylon) is generally much stronger and while less flexible is supposed to be much more vibrant in colors and has more color options, also its supposed to be UV reactive if you care about that.

PC Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700k @ 4.7GHz Turbo

Motherboard: Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) LGA1551 (300 Series)

RAM: 2x8GB Trident Z RGB DDR4-3200MHz

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080

SDD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

HDD:  Seagate Barracuda 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM650x

Cooling: Corsair H115i Pro RGB

Main Display: Dell S2417DG 1440p 144/165Hz G-Sync (2560x1440)

Secondary Displays: 2 x Dell P2312H 1080p 60Hz (1920x1080)

Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum

Mouse: Logitech G703 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse

Headset: Massdrop x Sennheiser PC37X Headset

1 minute ago, epic_ziver_D said:

Just as a note Modmesh (nylon) is generally much stronger and while less flexible is supposed to be much more vibrant in colors and has more color options, also its supposed to be UV reactive if you care about that.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm glad that I know this now :D I feel like to really know for sure, I would just have to work with both.

30 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

Thanks for the heads up! I'm glad that I know this now :D I feel like to really know for sure, I would just have to work with both.

If you do then please tell which one you rather because while I'm not purchasing yet I have been having problems deciding which one I want without having it in person.

PC Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700k @ 4.7GHz Turbo

Motherboard: Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) LGA1551 (300 Series)

RAM: 2x8GB Trident Z RGB DDR4-3200MHz

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080

SDD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

HDD:  Seagate Barracuda 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM650x

Cooling: Corsair H115i Pro RGB

Main Display: Dell S2417DG 1440p 144/165Hz G-Sync (2560x1440)

Secondary Displays: 2 x Dell P2312H 1080p 60Hz (1920x1080)

Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum

Mouse: Logitech G703 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse

Headset: Massdrop x Sennheiser PC37X Headset

10 minutes ago, epic_ziver_D said:

If you do then please tell which one you rather because while I'm not purchasing yet I have been having problems deciding which one I want without having it in person.

Will do! No promises, but I will try to do my best to remember! And if you end up purchasing, please do the same!

Though the advantages to each are already covered in this thread, I personally went with the nylon (Mod Mesh) because the colors were more accurate. The bendability ended up being less of an issue than most people make it seem, but I also was working with the s340 which is a very easy case to work with

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

@Doomerson ModFlex is our paracord, this is softer and more flexible. ModMesh is our nylon, this is our stiffer option, while still being easily manageable, but it is the more vibrant sleeving type and it is also UV reactive.

On 11/20/2017 at 12:35 PM, Doomerson said:

I'm about to purchase my first set of cable mod cables! However, I am not sure whether I should purchase Paracord or Nylon sleeves. I imagine that this choice is almost entirely subjective, and opinion based. However, I was curious which type of sleeves that you guys would choose and why?

MDPC-X (PET-X > Everything else), There plenty of companies who will hand make the cables with higher quality materials for you(Like Mod-One). CableMods are average cables.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

A little late, but I just wanted to share.  I recently purchased Modmesh (nylon) CableMod cables.  The bendability was literally a non issue.  I could tie them in a knot if I wanted to.

Very over exaggerated.

Edit:

it is also UV reactive.

I didn't know that.  I might have to try that out, but my one worry is that some plastics will discolor under UV light.  (White mainly)

6 hours ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

A little late, but I just wanted to share.  I recently purchased Modmesh (nylon) CableMod cables.  The bendability was literally a non issue.  I could tie them in a knot if I wanted to.

Very over exaggerated.

Edit:

I didn't know that.  I might have to try that out, but my one worry is that some plastics will discolor under UV light.  (White mainly)

I was actually just thinking about that, and honestly I'm glad that you mentioned it. It sounds to me like it's one of those technicalities that doesn't actually matter. Thank you for confirming my suspicion 

12 hours ago, CableMod said:

@Revan654 we listened to our community feedback and addressed the thicker cable requests. :) 

cablemod_header.jpg

Isn't just thicker PVC wire? I was hoping your Pro edition would use thicker Sleeving (6mm range) like what MDPC-X and Darksides uses. I didn't see any kind of press release talking about the new series or specs. I'm not 100% what changes were made. If I'm wrong could you post what changes were made?

8 hours ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

Very over exaggerated.

Edit:

I don't suggest doing that, You will risk the sleeving being pulled out. CableMod crimps the sleeving directly to the terminals, Which is a giant NO in my books. In the past I had a few cablemod cables, The sleeving did come out from the terminal.

Sleeving should be melted to the terminals, it will create a much better bond and nearly impossible for the sleeving to pulled out. Handmade cables >>>>>> Machine made Cables.

1 hour ago, Revan654 said:

Isn't just thicker PVC wire? I was hoping your Pro edition would use thicker Sleeving (6mm range) like what MDPC-X and Darksides uses. I didn't see any kind of press release talking about the new series or specs. I'm not 100% what changes were made. If I'm wrong could you post what changes were made?

The pro series we increased the thickness of the insulation to provide a fuller look, which makes the cables 3.5mm in thickness now. Additionally, we are now offering pre-applied cable combs as well for a cleaner aesthetic. :)

1 hour ago, Revan654 said:

I don't suggest doing that, You will risk the sleeving being pulled out. CableMod crimps the sleeving directly to the terminals, Which is a giant NO in my books. In the past I had a few cablemod cables, The sleeving did come out from the terminal.

Sleeving should be melted to the terminals, it will create a much better bond and nearly impossible for the sleeving to pulled out. Handmade cables >>>>>> Machine made Cables.

@Revan654 I do apologize for any issue you may have had, please email our support team (Support@CableMod.com) and we can replace the cable where the sleeving came loose.

2 hours ago, CableMod said:

@Revan654 I do apologize for any issue you may have had, please email our support team (Support@CableMod.com) and we can replace the cable where the sleeving came loose.

@CableMod

That cable is way out of warranty now, Plus I did contact CableMod about the issue at the time (When it was still in warranty). They said they would send a replacement out. However I never got it. All communication stopped after that.

3 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

@CableMod

That cable is way out of warranty now, Plus I did contact CableMod about the issue at the time (When it was still in warranty). They said they would send a replacement out. However I never got it. All communication stopped after that.

@Revan654 I'm sorry about that, please email me directly at Matt@CableMod.com and I'll take care of it. :)

9 hours ago, Doomerson said:

I was actually just thinking about that, and honestly I'm glad that you mentioned it. It sounds to me like it's one of those technicalities that doesn't actually matter. Thank you for confirming my suspicion 

I'm sure that the Modmesh is stiffer, it's just that unless you have very VERY tight runs, that it would be a non issue.

I have an inverted motherboard layout, the 24 pin was the only one that was a little stiff, and even then, it's nowhere neat it's limits.

DSC_0334.thumb.JPG.48612be011f99b1648bda8974c7a4086.JPG

As you can see, these bends are pretty tight.  I could still bend them a little more without concern.

Please ignore the rats nest of cables.  As you can see, while beQuiet states that this case supports eATX, motherboards that length cover about half of the rubber grommets.  Thus I can't route the cables properly.

This is actually the main reason that I purchased CableMod.  My 24 pin and CPU cables needed to be much shorter, and even though this isn't that clean, you don't even want to know what the stock cables looked like.  :P

7 hours ago, Revan654 said:

Well, I didn't ACTUALLY tie them in a knot.  :P

I didn't have any issues with the sleeving, I did purchase custom cables though, not sure if those are treated differently then the pre packaged ones.

6 hours ago, CableMod said:

we are now offering pre-applied cable combs as well for a cleaner aesthetic. :)

I saw that, plastic or aluminum if I recall correctly.

I would venture to say that I will be fine if this is the route that I go, even though my cables need to make a U shape.

19 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

I would venture to say that I will be fine if this is the route that I go, even though my cables need to make a U shape.

DSC_0337.thumb.JPG.e6ebaa60707b9873547caac4e4091ef2.JPG

This cable is routed behind the motherboard tray in a very tight "U" shape.