Crappy Power Supply, Will it work?

StillOnH81

My normal psu isnt powerful enough for my "upgraded" components, and the only other one I have is an Evo Labs e-600br, which is a cheap chienese piece of junk. All I need to know is, will it work and give out 600 watts the it claims?

All it needs to run is a GTX470 and a Core i7.

"All it needs to run is a GTX 470 and an i7"

That sentence alone should be enough to tell you that no, a crappy Chinese PSU will not work.

4 hours ago, StillOnH81 said:

It only needs to go until I get a new one, so only a few days time. 

Just wait until you get the new one.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

"All it needs to run is a GTX 470 and an i7"

That sentence alone should be enough to tell you that no, a crappy Chinese PSU will not work.

Good point

As for what it can actually deliver... not 600W. Firstly, the power ratings say peak rather than sustained, so chances are you can cut at least 10-20% off all the rails and the overall wattage. And secondly, it has a lot of the nominal wattage devoted to the minor rails (3.3V and 5V), not available on the 12V rails. That's unfortunate because most power is drawn on the 12V rails. So this is really more like a 320-360W power supply at best. And probably a low-quality one at that.

Just now, Sakkura said:

As for what it can actually deliver... not 600W. Firstly, the power ratings say peak rather than sustained, so chances are you can cut at least 10-20% off all the rails and the overall wattage. And secondly, it has a lot of the nominal wattage devoted to the minor rails (3.3V and 5V), not available on the 12V rails. That's unfortunate because most power is drawn on the 12V rails. So this is really more like a 320-360W power supply at best. And probably a low-quality one at that.

Looking at the labels now, It boasts a whole 209.2 watts of power continuous, and still its 600w max.

2 minutes ago, StillOnH81 said:

Looking at the labels now, It boasts a whole 209.2 watts of power continuous, and still its 600w max.

That's just the 3.3V and 5V rails combined. The 12V rails (and the other minor rails) are in addition to that. BUT even if you add the amperage of the two 12V rails and multiply by 12V, they can deliver less than 400W. And bear in mind the combined capacity of multiple 12V rails usually falls well short of what they could, in theory, deliver if you just add them up. 200 + 200 usually comes with a combined cap of eg. 300.

Tbh I don't think it will. The 12v rail which is where most of the power your system pulls comes from is rated for only 12v*16A=192 watts, and tbh I'm pretty sure a 4790k+GTX 470 will draw more than that...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Tbh I don't think it will. The 12v rail which is where most of the power your system pulls comes from is rated for only 12v*16A=192 watts, and tbh I'm pretty sure a 4790k+GTX 470 will draw more than that...

It has two 12V rails. But they're still going to be hard-pressed to supply a 4790K and GTX 470.

The 470 takes 550 watts of power, and the 4790s takes 65w. I dont know how much the motherboard takes in, plus whatever the hdd, cd rom and fans take. I think at least a 650 or even a 700 would be necessary.

Maybe one of these: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Segotep-600W-GP700P-ATX-PC-Computer-Power-Supply-Desktop-Gaming-80Plus-Platinum-PSU-Active-PFC-DC/2926102_32832832606.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.taIbxd

5 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

It has two 12V rails. But they're still going to be hard-pressed to supply a 4790K and GTX 470.

Ah derp, I didn't see that one was a one and one was a two :D 

I still agree with you though, together that's still under 400w which is kinda sketch, and who knows how crap the voltage regulation and ripple on this thing are.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

15 minutes ago, StillOnH81 said:

The 470 takes 550 watts of power, and the 4790s takes 65w. I dont know how much the motherboard takes in, plus whatever the hdd, cd rom and fans take. I think at least a 650 or even a 700 would be necessary.

The GTX 470 doesn't take 550W itself, that's just the generic recommendation for a full system with a GTX 470.

The card itself has a TDP of 215W, plus the CPU with its 65W TDP makes 280W. Adding the rest of the system you're somewhere above 300W. So a good quality 400W power supply should be okay, and 430-450W would certainly be plenty. It's just about finding a power supply that can actually deliver that, safely.

Holy shit. That's a crappy PSU.  Don't use it to power anything.  Straight in the garbage with it. 

It only needs to go until I get a new one, so only a few days time. 

...and by the time the new one arrives, no working computer no more because this PSU killed everything?

You are missing that powersupplys can destroy everything connected to it, directly or indirectly.

So no, do NOT use it.

3 hours ago, Sakkura said:

It has two 12V rails. 

No, Label says two +12V Rails.

That doesn't mean shit.

Wouldn't be the first time the label is a lie.

Some examples:
Antec MT350 (made by Seasonic)

Antec Earthwatts 430/500W made by Seasonic -> https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65425

Earlier iterations of the Seasonic S12II/M12II Bronze units also had two +12V Rails on the label but still the same HY-510N protection IC wich can't even do one +12V rail properly...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

My normal psu isnt powerful enough for my "upgraded" components, and the only other one I have is an Evo Labs e-600br, which is a cheap chienese piece of junk. All I need to know is, will it work and give out 600 watts the it claims?

All it needs to run is a GTX470 and a Core i7.

lmao you're running a Thermi GPU and a crappy PSU?

Call me back after your house goes Austin Evans on you :P

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

2 minutes ago, StillOnH81 said:

"This EVGA"? It's a good power supply, but it's not an EVGA. Also you don't need to spend 120$, and why are you trying to import it from Aliexpress? What is even your budget for it?

2 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

"This EVGA"? It's a good power supply, but it's not an EVGA. Also you don't need to spend 120$, and why are you trying to import it from Aliexpress? What is even your budget for it?

Sorry, wrong link

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-WHITE-Warranty-Supply-100-W1-0600-K3/dp/B01127D0MY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1511031288&sr=8-6&keywords=550w+psu

5 minutes ago, StillOnH81 said:

That is the bottom-of-the-barrel unit. Honestly you're much better off getting something like a CX550M/CX650M, since they're not actually complete trash.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Just now, breixobaloca said:

I have a rather low budget for this, so while I like Superflower and Bitfenix, these are slightly above my budget. Ill keep them in mind though, thanks

Just now, StillOnH81 said:

I have a rather low budget for this, so while I like Superflower and Bitfenix, these are slightly above my budget. Ill keep them in mind though, thanks

Well, the Pure Power isn't expensive, is it? Less than 10 pounds more, and it's a really good unit!

Just now, breixobaloca said:

Well, the Pure Power isn't expensive, is it? Less than 10 pounds more, and it's a really good unit!

While it isnt expensive and seems nice, I need a 550 watt unit, as per reccomended by EVGA, who made my GPU.