How much extra on top of parts would a "BestBuy Customer" be willing to pay for a Custom PC?

SkylakeAlex6700k

How much extra on top of parts would a "BestBuy Customer" be willing to pay for a Custom PC?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. How much extra on top of parts would a "BestBuy Customer" be willing to pay for a Custom PC?

• 10%
    • 15%
    • 20%

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on Nov 18, 2017 at 11:59 PM

I don't think it should be percentage based, but rather a set number: only increasing if the build difficulty is much higher. I would personally a number right around 50-100 USD, depending on if Windows will be installed on the system.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

$25 for a normal system, $50 for anything special, $100 for a custom loop.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Are you asking because you want to make a custom build and sell it to this imaginary "Best Buy Customer"?  If so, I think the premise is flawed. 

The entire point of buying a prebuilt from a place like Best Buy is the ease of returns and support.  The type of person who buys a PC at best buy looks at it like they do an appliance or TV.  This type of buyer has little to no understanding of parts, their prices, or performance.  The only thing that matters about the price is its price in relation to the other Best Buy computers around it.

That being said, they don't actually price gouge TOO much, but those prices don't have anything to do with the traditional retail value of the parts inside of it.  The companies who actually make the prebuilts get the parts at wholesale prices, and so the markup is based on that.

23 minutes ago, Minibois said:

I don't think it should be percentage based, but rather a set number: only increasing if the build difficulty is much higher. I would personally a number right around 50-100 USD, depending on if Windows will be installed on the system.

That's a good Idea. It could also be if they have an older PC they're upgrading, I could clone the drive to the new PC and erase the old one.

I will be going that route. Buying the parts and having the store build it. Cost is about 100.00$ can. 

How about a mobile shop. If you have a big enough truck. You can go to the customer house. 

I have seen this done for a Bicycle shop. 

Just now, Zmax said:

I will be going that route. Buying the parts and having the store build it. Cost is about 100.00$ can. 

How about a mobile shop. If you have a big enough truck. You can go to the customer house. 

I have seen this done for a Bicycle shop. 

Don't have a truck. :( 

If a store is doing it for $100, maybe $75 or $50 is reasonable?

The question is, how many hours does it take to build a PC from the ground up. At 25.00$ us an hour, that would give about 3 hours to do it before you start losing money. 

Trick question, bestbuy customers would only buy laptops, tablets, AIO's, and occasionally pre-built brand name desktop PC's.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

10 minutes ago, Zmax said:

The question is, how many hours does it take to build a PC from the ground up. At 25.00$ us an hour, that would give about 3 hours to do it before you start losing money. 

That is a good point. I guess it's a matter of how much i value my time. I'll have to think about that. I'm in high school so it's not like I'm doing this as a full time job anyway.

10 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Trick question, bestbuy customers would only buy laptops, tablets, AIO's, and occasionally pre-built brand name desktop PC's.

LOL!

2 hours ago, SkylakeAlex6700k said:

LOL!

You may chuckle, but his point is valid.  I would look into finding a few example 'customers' before you pursue this too far.  I think its going to be harder than you think to find people who want a custom built PC with no support.