Need help deciding between two similar AOC monitors

jac006

I have the option of getting a new monitor under $600 for Christmas this year. My current PC specs are: 

-ASUS Crosshair Hero VI (WI-FI AC) AM4 AMD Motherboard
-Ryzen 7 1800X @ 3.8GHZ (soon to be oc'd)
-G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GB RAM
-SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 512GB NVMe SSD
-CORSAIR RMi Series RM850i PSU
-EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid GPU
-Thermaltake Water 3.0 280 Riing Red Edition Liquid Cooling System
-NZXT H440 Mid Tower Case

I've narrowed down my choices to two monitors, both made by AOC: 

AOC Agon AG271QG 27" IPS QHD Gaming LED Monitor

or

AOC - OEM Agon AG271UG 27" IPS 4K UHD Gaming LED Monitor

My question is: which is the better monitor to pick? One that has a 144hz refresh rate but is only QHD or go full 4K but only 60hz? Those really are the two deciding factors for me, as they're both very similar on most other points, i.e. IPS, G-Sync, etc. I also realize there are quite a few other options out there, but nothing that I've come across (yet) is close in terms of price/performance ratio. The other offerings by ASUS, Acer, Dell, etc. all seem to be either much more expensive or forgo G-Sync, IPS, etc. when trying to get to the 144hz or 4K mark. However, if there is anything else that you can recommend that comes below $600 and is on par with either of the AOC monitors above, I'm all ears!

Any help and/or input is greatly appreciated in advance. :) 

Go with the 1440p 144Hz monitor. I went from 4K 60Hz to 1440p 144Hz and the difference is amazing. The higher refresh rate is definitely worth the reduced resolution size which I barely even noticed.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

At that size 4k would mostly just give you scaling issues unless you play with your nose stuck to your screen, so id say the 1440p one.

You could also consider some of the ultrawide 3440x1440 high refresh rate monitors.

Have to agree with Lurick  ... 27" is a bit small for 4K  and G-sync would be kind of useless if the max refresh rate is 60 Hz ... you're gonna have variable framerate between 20 fps and 60 fps? On the other hand, you have more vertical real estate but at 27" you'll probably be fine with ultra wide.

If you want 4K, there's a 32" LG at 400$ (120$ off) which seems nice, though it doesn't have Gsync and it's 60 Hz max : http://www.microcenter.com/product/484660/32UD59-B_32_VA_4K_UHD_Gaming_LED_Monitor

I think 27" is far too small for 4k. I'd go with the 1440p monitor.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Sounds like QHD and 144hz it is. I guess I really haven't experienced a monitor with that refresh yet so perhaps I don't know what I'm missing. I guess I was trying to future-proof myself as much as possible by considering 4K, but I'm sure QHD will be good as well. 

I do a mixture of photo editing, gaming (csgo), and general computer stuff so I'm hoping AOC's color is decent and the IPS panel doesn't bleed very much.