So what do people think of the OnePlus 5t?

Radioactive Snowman

I don’t think they could have made more of an incremental upgrade if they tried, it’s really just a oneplus 5 with a prettier front at the end of the day.

What do other people think about it? I’m considering buying one just because it now looks modern and my aging 6s plus will be needing an upgrade in the coming weeks 

1 minute ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

my aging 6s plus will be needing an upgrade in the coming weeks 

Why does your 6s Plus need an upgrade? If it wasn't for bezeless phones like the S8/X I wouldn't even have considered upgrading from my 6s+.

Anyway, from all the recent OP news, I wouldn't touch it. But they also lost any interest from me when they started pricing their phones closer to the competition -- the saving grace of OP is/has been the cost.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

It’s what the 5 should have launched as, but it’s too expensive and too late.

Also agreed with djd, the 6S Plus deserves a better upgrade than to a OnePlus 5T.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I really like it. Good hardware as usual, good screen (who tf needs 2K in a phone anyways) , good cameras, OxygenOS, 3.5mm jack, and the blitzkried-fast facial recognition unlock surprisingly together with the ol' good OnePlus lightspeed fingerprint scanner. The Price is decent too, 499 (euro/US/GBP) for such hardware is pretty good. If i wasn't broke af, i would buy it.

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

40 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Anyway, from all the recent OP news, I wouldn't touch it. But they also lost any interest from me when they started pricing their phones closer to the competition -- the saving grace of OP is/has been the cost.

Definitely closer, but they're also putting in more flagship specs. I don't understand how you expect OnePlus to make competitive phones at dirt cheap prices. They used to by cutting lots of corners, and while they still do, now they make proper flagship phones.

The OP5t's most expensive config is still $100 less than a Pixel 2 64GB - which is a smaller phone! The Pixel 2 might have a better camera and water resistance, but you must admit that the 5t is a stunning phone for the price. The portrait mode might suck on complex subjects, but for the price all of the specs are great. 

I used to be quite active here.

28 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

Definitely closer, but they're also putting in more flagship specs. I don't understand how you expect OnePlus to make competitive phones at dirt cheap prices. They used to by cutting lots of corners, and while they still do, now they make proper flagship phones.

The OP5t's most expensive config is still $100 less than a Pixel 2 64GB - which is a smaller phone! The Pixel 2 might have a better camera and water resistance, but you must admit that the 5t is a stunning phone for the price. The portrait mode might suck on complex subjects, but for the price all of the specs are great. 

The problem is that I can get an S8 on contract for $360 (albeit because of BF, normally, probably around $600). So for a similar price I can get a better phone with better support. The problem is that OP still isn't on par with the competition but they're trying to charge similar price points. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Looks like a cheap Chinese Android IPhone 7 plus knock off, with a lower quality but slightly taller display that has an18:9 aspect ratio, that isn't really priced that cheap.

Id personally just go with the phone it tries to copy, the IPhone 7 Plus, seeing as how it can probably be found for not that much more these days, and would be miles ahead in terms of build quality, camera and OS experience.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

I'm probably going to get it. I badly need a replacement for my 6P and don't want to pay flagship prices. I like what OnePlus has been doing with their phones, I wanted a type-C phone with a nice display and I knew the finger print reader was good and I'm happy with the move to the back. I'm interested in the facial recognition but wary at the same time.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

4 hours ago, dave_k said:

I really like it. Good hardware as usual, good screen (who tf needs 2K in a phone anyways) , good cameras, OxygenOS, 3.5mm jack, and the blitzkried-fast facial recognition unlock surprisingly together with the ol' good OnePlus lightspeed fingerprint scanner. The Price is decent too, 499 (euro/US/GBP) for such hardware is pretty good. If i wasn't broke af, i would buy it.

Um, I think you mean 2.5K.

The 2160x1080 resolution in the OP5T qualifies it as a 2K display.

That aside, it’s pretty meh. Wasn’t expecting much but also wasn’t expecting so little. It’s basically a screen and camera bump. Totally fine if this had been launched earlier but it’s already November 2017. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

14 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Why does your 6s Plus need an upgrade? If it wasn't for bezeless phones like the S8/X I wouldn't even have considered upgrading from my 6s+.

Battery drains far too fast for my liking, I charge it twice in the midddle of the day. I have no interest in just changing the battery because the phone itself is scratched and dented to hell and I'd prefer to just buy something new.

13 hours ago, Suika said:

Also agreed with djd, the 6S Plus deserves a better upgrade than to a OnePlus 5T.

Does it though? Quadruple the ram of the iPhone with one of the lighter android skins available should keep it performing lag free for quite a while. I've used both an s8 and s8+ and they both didn't feel as smooth as they could and the curved glass annoys me because of the glare watching videos outside (I do that quite a lot).

11 hours ago, maizenblue said:

Id personally just go with the phone it tries to copy, the IPhone 7 Plus, seeing as how it can probably be found for not that much more these days, and would be miles ahead in terms of build quality, camera and OS experience.

That's like comparing apples to oranges, if you're looking for an android phone it's unlikely you'll end up with an iPhone.

3 hours ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

Battery drains far too fast for my liking, I charge it twice in the midddle of the day. I have no interest in just changing the battery because the phone itself is scratched and dented to hell and I'd prefer to just buy something new.

Does it though? Quadruple the ram of the iPhone with one of the lighter android skins available should keep it performing lag free for quite a while. I've used both an s8 and s8+ and they both didn't feel as smooth as they could and the curved glass annoys me because of the glare watching videos outside (I do that quite a lot).

That's like comparing apples to oranges, if you're looking for an android phone it's unlikely you'll end up with an iPhone.

Yeah but why would anyone want an android phone. Thats crazy talk. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

25 minutes ago, maizenblue said:

Yeah but why would anyone want an android phone. Thats crazy talk. 

I actually miss the customisation and variety, I prefer iOS but the actual phones are so boring, with android phones theres a million and one to choose from 

I’m honestly somewhat tempted to get the phone and swap my iPhone 7 for it. But at the same time, i’m still very happy with my 7. It’s just such a fast phone and performance doesnt degrade after a year.

Maybe i’ll just wait and see how the s9 is gonna be like

On 17/11/2017 at 4:41 PM, xtroria said:

I’m honestly somewhat tempted to get the phone and swap my iPhone 7 for it. But at the same time, i’m still very happy with my 7. It’s just such a fast phone and performance doesnt degrade after a year.

Maybe i’ll just wait and see how the s9 is gonna be like

S9 will be double the price though