Is the new CX 450 good enough for this?

Railgun

I'm creating a part list which includes a 1080 and a 7700k. According to PCPP, it will only use up just over 350W. I heard the new CX 450 was a good power supply despite the typical CX reputation, but I just wanted to make sure. I'm a bit skeptical of the $23 price after rebate, considering this is gonna power a 1080.

Here's the part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JRVCjc

If the 450W is a no go, what would you guys recommend for a cheap but safe alternative?

Thanks

EDIT: Ignore that cooler. It was changed to a real cooler.

EDIT 2: Going with the G3 PSU. Thanks for all the help

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

1 minute ago, Railgun said:

I'm creating a part list which includes a 1080 and a 7700k. According to PCPP, it will only use up just over 300W. I heard the new CX 450 was a good power supply despite the typical CX reputation, but I just wanted to make sure. I'm a bit skeptical of the $23 price after rebate, considering this is gonna power a 1080.

If the 450W is a no go, what would you guys recommend for a cheap but safe alternative?

Thanks

Considering a 1080 and 7700K can use 400W if OC'd I'd probably just pass on it. You can afford a 1080, why not spend $60 on a Cooler Master V-series.

Also, why the heck are you choosing that cooler? And why that motherboard? Have you bought any of these parts yet? What is your budget for all of the parts you don't have?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

It will work, but if you have the money for a 7700K and GTX 1080, then go for something tier 1, like the EVGA G2 or G3, Corsair RMX, TXM, etc.

link in sig.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Considering a 1080 and 7700K can use 400W if OC'd I'd probably just pass on it. You can afford a 1080, why not spend $60 on a Cooler Master V-series.

Also, why the heck are you choosing that cooler? And why that motherboard? Have you bought any of these parts yet? What is your budget for all of the parts you don't have?

My friend ain't overclocking. Guess I should have mentioned that

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

cooler is crap and if you can afford those specs, get a decent PSU. a CX 450 is not anything id put in anything more advanced then an office and web browsing machine

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Railgun said:

My friend ain't overclocking. Guess I should have mentioned that

What's his budget for a whole system? What parts does friend have?

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

cooler is crap and if you can afford those specs, get a decent PSU. a CX 450 is not anything id put in anything more advanced then an office and web browsing machine

I'd not cringe at a CX450 in a system with a 1070. They're pretty good tbh

He doesn't have any parts purchased and he doesn't really have a budget either, he just doesn't want to waste money

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

I'd not cringe at a CX450 in a system with a 1070. They're pretty good tbh

i havent seen any of them praised as good before but maybe the newer ones arent poop.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

He wants a 1400p build. Really the only reason I chose a 1080 instead of a 1070 or 1070 ti was because of just how cheap the 1080s are right now.

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i havent seen any of them praised as good before but maybe the newer ones arent poop.

They've been out for two years man. They're very good and are the minimum I recommend for most systems nowadays. 

6 minutes ago, Railgun said:

He wants a 1400p build. Really the only reason I chose a 1080 instead of a 1070 or 1070 ti was because of just how cheap the 1080s are right now.

Wow, there's a 1070 Ti, haven't been up to date...really didn't think they would make a gtx 70 ti...as far as the topic if you're buying all that you could probably (probably) spare some extra money on a better cooler and a better PSU

1 minute ago, keNNySOC said:

Wow, there's a 1070 Ti, haven't been up to date...really didn't think they would make a gtx 70 ti...as far as the topic if you're buying all that you could probably (probably) spare some extra money on a better cooler and a better CPU

The cpu isn't good? I'm not too knowledgeable on the most modern cpus I just compared the specs and price to my 4790k. Can you elaborate?

3 minutes ago, Railgun said:

Alrighty, then let's change a few things then.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xqrWxY

For 1440P, more cores is better. A 7700K will still probably perform withing 1% of the 1600X at 1440P, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper. If your friend isn't overclocking then a cheaper heatsink is fine for the 1600X. Keep in mind the H7 doesn't come with an AM4 bracket in the box and you need to order it from Cryorig separately.

Just now, Railgun said:

The cpu isn't good? I'm not too knowledgeable on the most modern cpus. Can you elaborate?

Yeah sorry, meant to say PSU instead of CPU, the CPU is quite good.

For 1440P, more cores is better. A 7700K will still probably perform withing 1% of the 1600X at 1440P, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper. If your friend isn't overclocking then a cheaper heatsink is fine for the 1600X. Keep in mind the H7 doesn't come with an AM4 bracket in the box and you need to order it from Cryorig separately.

They even released the G3, are they as good? :$

5 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

They even released the G3, are they as good? :$

G3 has been around for awhile. Yes, they're good PSUs. Shorter in length than the G2 and a bit louder.

8 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Probably gonna go with this or something similar. Thanks for the help.

One thing, how does that ssd perform compared to the 850 evo? I tend to be a bit biased towards the evo series lol

Just now, Railgun said:

Probably gonna go with this or something similar. Thanks for the help.

One thing, how does that ssd perform compared to the 850 evo? I tend to be a bit biased towards the evo series lol

They're very similar in performance.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sk-hynix-sl308-ssd-review,4583.html

54 minutes ago, Railgun said:

I'm creating a part list which includes a 1080 and a 7700k. According to PCPP, it will only use up just over 350W. I heard the new CX 450 was a good power supply despite the typical CX reputation, but I just wanted to make sure. I'm a bit skeptical of the $23 price after rebate, considering this is gonna power a 1080.

Thanks

EDIT: Don't mind the cooler. Friend ain't overclocking but I'll still get him something better than what's in the list right now lol

EDIT 2: Going with the 1070 550W instead unless I should still get a better PSU

Well, it seems the CX450 has only one PCie connector, so it might not be the best idea.

What other options do you have??

And since you don't have it:
WHY a 7700?? Quad cores with SMT are around for almost 10 years. Get a 6 Core instead!
Either Ryzen 1700, 1800(X) or to save a buck or two a 1600 or the new 8k series.

52 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

Since you will get the 7700k you will probably want a good gpu in the future so

Cx650m

No.

He won't be near the capacity of that PSU.

And it makes no sense to buy a PSU just to load it up to 50%. That's just wasted money.

And for the same price he could have gotten a higher quality/efficient PSU so that really doesn't make any sense at all.-

51 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

It will work, but if you have the money for a 7700K and GTX 1080, then go for something tier 1, like the EVGA G2 or G3, Corsair RMX, TXM, etc.

link in sig.

The EVGA units aren't that great, neither is Corsair TX-M (bad fan control for whatever reason).

There are better units for that money. 

Like Bitfenix Whisper M and Formula. 

RMx is OK though...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Accidentally created this reply. Mods can delete it or whatever