6850k still worth it at the right price?

Syndaz

So I can get an Open Box X99 Board for $40 bucks and I've found a used 6850k for $200, which is cheaper than anything I can get for Ryzen or Coffee Lake. I'm currently rocking a 6600k at 4.6 GHZ but I'm starting to stretch my legs a bit and I'm getting into video rendering so the extra cores would be nice. I wouldn't get that much better game performance but I'd be getting better frame times and slightly better average FPS as well. So in 2017, is the 6850k still worth it if I can get it for this cheap?

10850k @5.0GHZ | Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 | ASUS Prime Z490-A | EVGA 2080 TI XC Ultra Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB @3200 MHZ | Corsair Air 540 | CoolerMaster MM720 | Artisan Zero Soft | Tofu65 w/ Tealios V2

5 minutes ago, ThooorinS said:

So I can get an Open Box X99 Board for $40 bucks and I've found a used 6850k for $200, which is cheaper than anything I can get for Ryzen or Coffee Lake. I'm currently rocking a 6600k at 4.6 GHZ but I'm starting to stretch my legs a bit and I'm getting into video rendering so the extra cores would be nice. I wouldn't get that much better game performance but I'd be getting better frame times and slightly better average FPS as well. So in 2017, is the 6850k still worth it if I can get it for this cheap?

For the video rendering and stuff, the 6850k for 200 is a steal considering that the cheapest I can find retail is $150+ to your price. Also considering that you're going to use it for more than just gaming that the whole combo would be a great deal. The only question is do you want the fancier tech and are willing to fork over that money that something like the 8700k brings, or are you fine with what that Cpu and board brings?

If the board is decent, I would definitely rock a 6850k and mobo combo for $240.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

Just now, Camell513 said:

For the video rendering and stuff, the 6850k for 200 is a steal considering that the cheapest I can find retail is $150+ to your price. Also considering that you're going to use it for more than just gaming that the whole combo would be a great deal. The only question is do you want the fancier tech and are willing to fork over that money that something like the 8700k brings, or are you fine with what that Cpu and board brings?

Thankfully I don't really use things like USB 3.1 that the newer boards may have. The X99 board I'm planning to get is the GA-X99 SLI which is pretty decent from what I've seen and has everything I need except maybe not being able to fully saturate a M.2 Drive in the future but I don't really mind. Thanks for the response! I've been trying to find some validation on this but it's been difficult to get responses or information from Google.

10850k @5.0GHZ | Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 | ASUS Prime Z490-A | EVGA 2080 TI XC Ultra Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB @3200 MHZ | Corsair Air 540 | CoolerMaster MM720 | Artisan Zero Soft | Tofu65 w/ Tealios V2

1 minute ago, TahoeDust said:

If the board is decent, I would definitely rock a 6850k and mobo combo for $240.

GA-X99 SLI an okay board? I'm kinda skeptical on Newegg and Amazon reviews because usually people only review products when they have issues so it may not be representative of most user's experience with the board may be. I also am aware that I most likely will have to Q-Flash in order to get the 6850k to work on the board.

1 minute ago, ThooorinS said:

Thankfully I don't really use things like USB 3.1 that the newer boards may have. The X99 board I'm planning to get is the GA-X99 SLI which is pretty decent from what I've seen and has everything I need except maybe not being able to fully saturate a M.2 Drive in the future but I don't really mind. Thanks for the response! I've been trying to find some validation on this but it's been difficult to get responses or information from Google.

Yea that's a hell of a steal, that mobo has 3.0 and wifi for $40 and more, now I know you won't use the WiFi but it still nice. Deffinelty if I could get that right now, I'd be stealing that from you Lol. xD I'll take that 6600k tho if you don't want it xD

1 minute ago, Camell513 said:

Yea that's a hell of a steal, that mobo has 3.0 and wifi for $40 and more, now I know you won't use the WiFi but it still nice. Deffinelty if I could get that right now, I'd be stealing that from you Lol. xD I'll take that 6600k tho if you don't want it xD

Lol. Thanks for the answer again! I'll probably be using my 6600k to make a PC for my cousin who desperately needs to get off of his integrated graphics on his laptop.

1 minute ago, ThooorinS said:

GA-X99 SLI an okay board? I'm kinda skeptical on Newegg and Amazon reviews because usually people only review products when they have issues so it may not be representative of most user's experience with the board may be. I also am aware that I most likely will have to Q-Flash in order to get the 6850k to work on the board.

I mean it doesn't have the crazy stuff Asus has, but the full on 4 way SLI support and enough USB ports for a normal person, and the expansion for more if you need it you should be fine. And the price of $40 is hard to beat. And if you hate it you're only out 40 dollars and that's not a crazy amount, but it will get you started on the x99 atleast

13 minutes ago, ThooorinS said:

OMG YAS BEST DEAL.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

40 minutes ago, ThooorinS said:

Yeah dude, I'd probably jump on that.

The closest current comparison would be something like an R5 1600X (or just a 1600 that you overclocked the balls off of), or I guess an i7-8700.  To give you an idea of the glorious power of Moar Coars, I can play CS:GO at more than 60fps at 4K while encoding bluray rips with a Ryzen 5 1600X.  I really am not encoding stuff all that often, but it really is a great feeling when your computer remains 100% usable even when you're beating the crap out of the CPU.

A six core Ryzen would cost you around $200-225 plus $80-100 for a nice B350 board, (more if you want to get into the X370 mobo's).  Assume $280-400 depending on what you end up with.  The Ryzen has the newest fun features (m.2 is pretty cool), the same core/threadcount, and will use less power while performing VERY similarly clock-for-clock, to the point that you likely wouldn't notice a difference outside of AVX loads.  It also pretty much won't go over 4GHz no matter what you do, but things are easy to power and keep cool as long as you don't push it hard.  It's actually really cool to see how well a current-gen midrange chip holds up against what was originally a $600+ CPU.

If the i7-8700 or 8700K are in stock, those are $360 and $420 (blaze it) for the CPU alone, and figure anywhere between $125-150 for the motherboard.  You'll get boatloads more performance in single or multithreaded loads, just from the higher clockspeeds, but you'll also be shelling out at least $475 to get it.

DDR4 (which you might already have) is currently priced in "bend over" territory, so you aren't getting around that no matter what (the 2x8 LPX 3200 kit I bought in late April for $120, which was $85 last November, is "on sale" for 160+ with a regular price above $200).  Broadwell-E allows you to use quad channel ram if I remember correctly, so that's cool if you are doing anything that would see any benefit.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

he is getting a cpu which clocks higher has more pci lanes quad channel and other cause x99 features for just $240. I would say intel is better

2 minutes ago, Phate.exe said:

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

Go for it.

i7 6800k is also soldered to IHS, so temps shouldn't be a problem with that CPU.

Performance wise I think you won't have any problems running any game on it + stream it. Also amazing chip for productivity etc.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

31 minutes ago, Phate.exe said:

Yeah dude, I'd probably jump on that.

The closest current comparison would be something like an R5 1600X (or just a 1600 that you overclocked the balls off of), or I guess an i7-8700.  To give you an idea of the glorious power of Moar Coars, I can play CS:GO at more than 60fps at 4K while encoding bluray rips with a Ryzen 5 1600X.  I really am not encoding stuff all that often, but it really is a great feeling when your computer remains 100% usable even when you're beating the crap out of the CPU.

A six core Ryzen would cost you around $200-225 plus $80-100 for a nice B350 board, (more if you want to get into the X370 mobo's).  Assume $280-400 depending on what you end up with.  The Ryzen has the newest fun features (m.2 is pretty cool), the same core/threadcount, and will use less power while performing VERY similarly clock-for-clock, to the point that you likely wouldn't notice a difference outside of AVX loads.  It also pretty much won't go over 4GHz no matter what you do, but things are easy to power and keep cool as long as you don't push it hard.  It's actually really cool to see how well a current-gen midrange chip holds up against what was originally a $600+ CPU.

If the i7-8700 or 8700K are in stock, those are $360 and $420 (blaze it) for the CPU alone, and figure anywhere between $125-150 for the motherboard.  You'll get boatloads more performance in single or multithreaded loads, just from the higher clockspeeds, but you'll also be shelling out at least $475 to get it.

DDR4 (which you might already have) is currently priced in "bend over" territory, so you aren't getting around that no matter what (the 2x8 LPX 3200 kit I bought in late April for $120, which was $85 last November, is "on sale" for 160+ with a regular price above $200).  Broadwell-E allows you to use quad channel ram if I remember correctly, so that's cool if you are doing anything that would see any benefit.

Yeah I'm a bit annoyed on the ram pricing currently and I'll probably end up having to use my dual channel kit of DDR4 from my Z170 build because the Ram prices are just absurd. I just hope I won't run into too many issues with running dual channel on X99.

34 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

he is getting a cpu which clocks higher has more pci lanes quad channel and other cause x99 features for just $240. I would say intel is better

I'm agreeing with you.  For $240 it's a hell of a deal for anybody who is gonna actually use those cores, and I should have mentioned the PCI-E lanes in my post.  I was mostly showing the performance ballpark and how much it would cost with new hardware.

Even with the higher overclocks, the performance difference isn't as high as I would have expected.  Looking through the HWbot rankings, a topped-out 1600/X (3.95-4.1GHz) will do around 1400 in Cinebench R15, which is about the same as what a 6850K will do 4.4 - 4.5 GHz.  That difference could just be a combination of Ryzen's SMT being slightly more effective than Hyperthreading, and Ryzen being awesome at Cinebench R15.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

3 hours ago, ThooorinS said:

I would do it. You're going from a non hyper-threaded quad core to a hyper-threaded 6 core CPU. It will definitely benefit you with video production.

As for gaming it will do good too. I'm running a 5820k (the predecessor of the 6800k) at 4.2Ghz and works absolutely fine for gaming.

CPU: i7-12700KF Grill Plate Edition // MOBO: Asus Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 // RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 FE // PSU: Corsair RM750i // CASE: Thermaltake Core X71 // BOOT: Samsung Evo 960 500GB

STORAGE: WD PC SN530 512GB + Samsung Evo 860 500GB // COOLING: Full custom loop // DISPLAY: LG 34UC89G-B