more RAM... why?

Mr_Mz
5 minutes ago, William Payne said:

Those of us on this forum are a minority. There are large numbers of people with 8GB of ram or less and no ssd's and older lesser cpu's. Those who are not enthusiasts aren't always up to date on the latest stuff. 

Yes, I know. My comment is mainly aimed at people on here. Because I've seen far too many "GTX 1070 build with i7 and 8GB RAM" or "GTX 1080Ti + i5 + 8GB RAM" threads.

I've also seen many 8GB users defend their purchase ridiculously.

8GB for non advanced users is just fine. But 8GB shouldn't be used for demanding games or use cases which clearly benefit a lot from more.

E.g. I used to play GTA V.

When I had 8GB of RAM it would use 5GB of my RAM. When I upgraded to 16GB it would use up 7-10GB and I got better performance.

I didn't know when I owned 8GB RAM that adding 8GB more would cause less paging and better performance.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I don't use any rendering or modeling software, just video streaming, lots of firefox tabs, and single player gaming, currently GTA V; and still I found that I would run out of free RAM with 16GB and that when that happened my 1% lows were much lower. Even in my use case 32GB made sense and did offer a big improvement, adding 20FPS to my 1% lows was noticeable even if my average FPS barely changed at all, and with the better 1% lows I just have a more consistent gaming experience.

i9-10900K, Asus ROG STRIX Z590-E Gaming WiFi, Asus TUF RTX3080, 32GB G.Skill 3200MHz CL14

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB, EVGA Supernova 850W G3, Asus Xonar DGX

Fractal Design Define C TG, Noctua NH-U14S, Asus PG279Q 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz

I wonder how much ram the @LinusTech team is running for their 8k editing. Puget Systems recommend 256GB minimum for 8k footage editing. 

11 minutes ago, Mr_Mz said:

right.. btw, how much does it matter for these video/pic editing software to have a fast access to memory? i.e. does pagefile on an SSD give you any disadvantage?

Dunno, I don't use them. But I'd say a fair bit, given professionals who use those applications have extremely powerful machines to do their job.

2 minutes ago, William Payne said:

I wonder how much ram the @LinusTech team is running for their 8k editing. Puget Systems recommend 256GB minimum for 8k footage editing. 

Pretty sure they're using 64GB on the editing rigs although the ingest server which processes all of their videos before the editors touch them probably uses 128GB RAM.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Yes, I know. My comment is mainly aimed at people on here. Because I've seen far too many "GTX 1070 build with i7 and 8GB RAM" or "GTX 1080Ti + i5 + 8GB RAM" threads.

I've also seen many 8GB users defend their purchase ridiculously.

8GB for non advanced users is just fine. But 8GB shouldn't be used for demanding games or use cases which clearly benefit a lot from more.

E.g. I used to play GTA V.

When I had 8GB of RAM it would use 5GB of my RAM. When I upgraded to 16GB it would use up 7-10GB and I got better performance.

I didn't know when I owned 8GB RAM that adding 8GB more would cause less paging and better performance.

interesting observation. This is also why I opened this topic to see what general channel viewers experienced

how about laptops.. who would ever need more than 8gb on a typical laptop? why is it so lame if this last Xiaomi laptop linus just reviewed has only 8gb ram. Is there any actual use scenario where u need more than that on such a laptop?

LMAO :D.

This is exactly the type of thread I was talking about seeing loads of.

People seem to pair super OP GPU with lackluster CPU or RAM.

OT: I think that people don't think as much about RAM when they're planning a build and they don't think it's as necessary to have as a good GPU or CPU.

linus1.PNG.6bce8f63cc13e380aa78096f95b77159.PNG

3 minutes ago, Mr_Mz said:

how about laptops.. who would ever need more than 8gb on a typical laptop? why is it so lame if this last Xiaomi laptop linus just reviewed has only 8gb ram. Is there any actual use scenario where u need more than that on such a laptop?

exactly, its target audience isn't for enthusiast as much as it is for those who want the form factor of the mac without the crippling so 8gb of ram is fine, especially with its 10 hour battery life its a very practical machine

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

LMAO :D.

This is exactly the type of thread I was talking about seeing loads of.

People seem to pair super OP GPU with lackluster CPU or RAM.

OT: I think that people don't think as much about RAM when they're planning a build and they don't think it's as necessary to have as a good GPU or CPU.

linus1.PNG.6bce8f63cc13e380aa78096f95b77159.PNG

he's asking an honest question, no need to be a jerk about it just because he isn't an enthusiast

13 minutes ago, General Winter said:

he's asking an honest question, no need to be a jerk about it just because he isn't an enthusiast

you are right. people deserve to dream big! :P

2 hours ago, Mr_Mz said:

hey Linus.. A long time subscriber here. I keep seeing you mention 8Gb of RAM is so low. I'm wondering how low do you think 8gb is for the bulk of users. like how many percentage of users are actual hardcore video rendered (to the extent u guys do at your group) or such?

For example.. I work with mechanical modeling software (ABAQUS). So far my office pc had only 8Gb of ram. In a model with almost 10000 elements I barely maxed out on my ram while having gizilions of tabs open in chrome. If what you are saying is for more pro users then I don't think they care for your recommendation. What I am wondering is why would you add to consumerism hype and make people over spend on the parts they do not need?

Dude just surfing the internet with all the tabs and what I have open at once, I used 40-50% of 16 Gigs. If I decide to gaming, then Im pushing that 8 Gig limit and even surpassing it. So yeah, 8 Gigs is low now days. I think 16 Gigs is the new norm. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, Mr_Mz said:

I am both a Mac and Windows user. I will say on the Mac forums there is a lot of complaint about not having more then 16GB ram on the MacBook Pro whether they need it or not. Though there is also a large amount of people trying to and it wanting to do heavy desktop typical work on their laptops. 

I personally prefer a desktop for the heavy stuff. 

3 hours ago, Jade said:

It's unlikely you'll ever max out your RAM in Windows as long as you leave paging enabled.

About 250-750 tabs open and i hit about 80-95% (currently 45%) of my 32GB with a 8GB paging :D

Do note i do have tons of other things running besides chrome, but chrome is taking about half of the resources at nearly any given time. I prob should also disable paging too.

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Not having enough RAM to run everything leads to the page file being used and in the case of SSDs this can kill them faster.

Buy a few cheap 7200 hdd as a paging file drives and raid 1 them. Problem solved.

5 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

About 250-750 tabs open and i hit about 80-95% (currently 45%) of my 32GB with a 8GB paging :D

Do note i do have tons of other things running besides chrome, but chrome is taking about half of the resources at nearly any given time. I prob should also disable paging too.

Buy a few cheap 7200 hdd as a paging file drives and raid 1 them. Problem solved.

That would lead to worse performance.

8 hours ago, General Winter said:

I'm not though.....

People just need to be more educated about RAM cos lots of people say different things.

6 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

That would lead to worse performance.

True, and i should of said raid 0. but if you cant upgrade your ram w/o breaking the bank, putting together 2 or more hdd's that are $50 each or less if used would save your ssd and minimize bottlenecks.

On 11/13/2017 at 3:40 AM, AluminiumTech said:

I'm not though.....

People just need to be more educated about RAM cos lots of people say different things.

literally the point of OP's question from that topic was to ask if this was okay? clearly asking to be informed, not the other way around

that's like saying people don't know how to do math cause someone was asking help with a math question

On 11/12/2017 at 9:05 PM, Donut417 said:

Dude just surfing the internet with all the tabs and what I have open at once, I used 40-50% of 16 Gigs. If I decide to gaming, then Im pushing that 8 Gig limit and even surpassing it. So yeah, 8 Gigs is low now days. I think 16 Gigs is the new norm. 

interesting. maybe OS or browser has different memory management scheme and since you have so much ram it doesn't bother with pagefile or so. because with 8gb no matter how many tabs of browser I had I never maxed out 

3 hours ago, Mr_Mz said:

interesting. maybe OS or browser has different memory management scheme and since you have so much ram it doesn't bother with pagefile or so. because with 8gb no matter how many tabs of browser I had I never maxed out 

Have you seen how many processes Chorme Opens? Its like eleventy billion. On top of Hangouts, and the fact I preload videos in the tabs and such. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Playing GTAV with Afterburner, Riva tuner, and discord open but idle I use 9Gb. For an enthusiast 16Gb should be default.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

On 11/12/2017 at 11:30 PM, AluminiumTech said:

Ummm. 16GB isn't luxury. 8GB is "I'm really poor and don't have money for 16GB". 16GB is Standard. 32GB is luxury.,

imho

54% of steam users have 8Gb, and no the other 46% does not all have more than 8Gb, many if not the most part will have less. That statement that 8Gb is for poor people makes no sense, most people don't use more than 8Gb so no point in buying more. Wasteful as said.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

13 hours ago, asus killer said:

54% of steam users have 8Gb, and no the other 46% does not all have more than 8Gb, many if not the most part will have less. That statement that 8Gb is for poor people makes no sense, most people don't use more than 8Gb so no point in buying more. Wasteful as said.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

A lot of steam users have terrible hardware on their non gaming computers and frankly the hardware survey is deeply flawed.

For something like a school laptop or just media. 8gb

For gaming, 16gb minimum

For video production and cad and stuff like that 32gb

never use less than 8gb ram for anything unless you are doing a cool old school build with like a penitum III and 512mb of ram