install OS in RAM

nightmast

So, there's a software called  "RAMOS", it can pack your OS and install it into your ram, and seems like it works same even better then an SSD. I wonder if its real.

Tool attached, feel free to try it.

Edited by TheRandomness
Dodgy links will be removed unless explained.

No because when you power off the computer everything in ram is wiped.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

No because when you power off the computer everything in ram is wiped.

what if you don't turn it off?

5 minutes ago, nightmast said:

So, there's a software called  "RAMOS", it can pack your OS and install it into your ram, and seems like it works same even better then an SSD. I wonder if its real.

Could you provide a link please.  I googled ramos computer software and didn't get anything like you describe.

Just now, kb5zue said:

Could you provide a link please.  I googled ramos computer software and didn't get anything like you describe.

I'll upload the tool right now

Just now, nightmast said:

I'll upload the tool right now

Not looking for a tool, looking for information.  Figured that i I could find it on the internet then I could read more about it.\

3 minutes ago, nightmast said:

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av16181796/

here's the link, not sure if u can understand it.

Used the google translate function and able to read a lot of what they have to say.  It's broken english but after living over seas 15 out of 20 years with the air force I can get a pretty good picture of what they are saying.

1 minute ago, Fourmi_Killer said:

Just install your OS on a HDD or SSD. 

seem it can goes up to 12k MB R/W tho

12 minutes ago, nightmast said:

what if you don't turn it off?

Then it makes 0 difference because your OS is not bottlenecked by storage.

An SSD is faster than what an OS needs.

It is files and programs which need higher speeds.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, nightmast said:

seem it can goes up to 12k MB R/W tho

Well that's all good and well, expect a good sata ssd will have no perceivable difference in use.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

Just now, Enderman said:

Then it makes 0 difference because your OS is not bottlenecked by storage.

An SSD is faster than what an OS needs.

It is files and programs which need higher speeds.

it basically uses RAM as a physical drive, which means you can put files on it.  

But can you guys imagine what the owner/operator manual looks like?  WOW!!  Time to get a new hat.

In theory, it's a pretty cool idea, and could be plausible. Boot up PC, wait to copy the entire OS from a hard drive to a ramdisk, and then boot from ramdisk. Of course, it's too unreliable and boot times are extremely slow, so you might as well just buy an SSD. I don't really see a need for speeds (heh) faster than an SSD, and either way, you're getting less storage for the price if you're using a ramdisk.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

it basically uses RAM as a physical drive, which means you can put files on it.  

Just like you can on a normal ramdisk.

But it is useless to have an OS on there, it sounds like a big placebo scam.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, evilarceus said:

In theory, it's a pretty cool idea, and could be plausible. Boot up PC, wait to copy the entire OS from a hard drive to a ramdisk, and then boot from ramdisk. Of course, it's too unreliable and boot times are extremely slow, so you might as well just buy an SSD. I don't really see a need for speeds (heh) faster than an SSD, and either way, you're getting less storage for the price if you're using a ramdisk.

the smallest OS i can find is win10 1.92GB, and win7 241MB so 

the smallest OS i can find is win10 1.92GB, and win7 241MB so 

A clean install of Windows 10 is about 12GB when installed. Where did you get those numbers from?

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

Just now, evilarceus said:

A clean install of Windows is about 12GB when installed. Where did you get those numbers from?

Because I have both file in my pc right now.

1 minute ago, evilarceus said:

A clean install of Windows is about 12GB when installed. Where did you get those numbers from?

And an X86(32) Win10 is only 951.5MB

1 minute ago, nightmast said:

Because I have both file in my pc right now.

Are you talking about the ISO or an actual install of Windows 10?

Blue Jay

Other Stuff

GitHub

4 minutes ago, evilarceus said:

Are you talking about the ISO or an actual install of Windows 10?

Capture.PNG.c991997d4a9117fe44a459dc251841b9.PNG

I haven't use them before and should be packed as it, the win7 is packed in rar and its actual install for 200MB

1 minute ago, L.Lawliet said:

Its a 1000% bad idea..what if u dont turn it off?

What if u need to turn it off? why? idk power outage? software that requires u to restart? or when u got BSOD or just freeze and need to be restarted?

And u there re-installing the OS

Its never gonna be practical, but it is a interesting ways to run a OS.