good mobo to over clock 4790k/4770k

Go to solution Solved by SwingLifeAway92,
Just now, onemanarmy720 said:

might just get this 4770 i found near me for $100 and save up the next year or so and get something new. lol i dont know tho

Yeah that's a good deal sure you can't overclock but the perf gains of overclocking on haswell weren't great to start with and getting those extra threads for 100 (minus what you can sell current cpu for) is more than worth that compromise 

Looking for a good mini ITX motherboard to over clock ani 7 4790k/4770k. while being cost effective, don't care about looks just performance. thanks.

CPU: I7 8086K                              MOBO: Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5   RAM: 16Gb G-Skill 3200mHz

GPU: GTX 1070 FE 8GB            CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX           OS: Windows 10

PSU: EVGA 650G                      SSD: 250GB Samsung Evo                       HDD: 1000GB WD BLUE

The trick is even finding one for sale 

I have a cue light I can use to show you when I’m joking, if you like.

Just now, TARS said:

The trick is even finding one for sale 

im looking on ebay

CPU: I7 8086K                              MOBO: Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5   RAM: 16Gb G-Skill 3200mHz

GPU: GTX 1070 FE 8GB            CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX           OS: Windows 10

PSU: EVGA 650G                      SSD: 250GB Samsung Evo                       HDD: 1000GB WD BLUE

Yeah, I just looked on Newegg, No ITX, only like a few ATX.  Even Amazon will be expensive as eBay at times.  I guess you can try your luck there, but can't you go to the z270 or even z370?

CPU: 5900X   MOBO: MSI Tomahawk x570 
MEM: G.Skill 32gb (2 x 16gb) 3600
GPU: Asus tuf oc 3080

May add the other bits of my system later on

2 minutes ago, onemanarmy720 said:

Your actually pretty lucky to find that, I'm not into MSI boards... but your probably not going to find a better deal than that.

I have a cue light I can use to show you when I’m joking, if you like.

2 minutes ago, Ninja_Commander said:

Yeah, I just looked on Newegg, No ITX, only like a few ATX.  Even Amazon will be expensive as eBay at times.  I guess you can try your luck there, but can't you go to the z270 or even z370?

i dont know, just looking up upgrade my cpu and be as cost effective as possible.

i dont know, just looking up upgrade my cpu and be as cost effective as possible.

TO be honest, I have a 4690K, so I can understand your pain. I want to keep my set up on my Z97 going till I feel its the right time to upgrade.  But I feel at times you gotta look at the long term and see whats more cost effective. Luckily my Gigabyte board is good since it has gone through server tests, so it can last.  Right now, looking at your specs, it might be a good time to just change to a new platform.  Though I would wait on the Z370 for now till they have more CPUs out so you can get the 8700K.

1 minute ago, Ninja_Commander said:

TO be honest, I have a 4690K, so I can understand your pain. I want to keep my set up on my Z97 going till I feel its the right time to upgrade.  But I feel at times you gotta look at the long term and see whats more cost effective. Luckily my Gigabyte board is good since it has gone through server tests, so it can last.  Right now, looking at your specs, it might be a good time to just change to a new platform.  Though I would wait on the Z370 for now till they have more CPUs out so you can get the 8700K.

yeah you are right. or a good deal on a 7700k, i found this near me. If I can talk him down a bit ill do it.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/sop/d/intel-7700k-processor-and-rog/6376843316.html

Overclocking the 4790k xD people talk so much crap about skylake temps haswell literally required a delid to get any overclock out of it

R7 2700x (4.3ghz), Gtx Titan Xp Galactic Empire (Watercooled), 2x8 Gskill Trident 3200mhz, Asus Crosshair VII Hero Wifi, Corsair 900D, SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 256gb, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, 4x3tb 7200rpm Segate Barracudas in Raid 10 EKWB Custom Loop, Corsair AX1500i Power supply

6 minutes ago, Ninja_Commander said:

found a 7700k for $120

4 minutes ago, onemanarmy720 said:

yeah you are right. or a good deal on a 7700k, i found this near me. If I can talk him down a bit ill do it.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/sop/d/intel-7700k-processor-and-rog/6376843316.html

That is the best damn deal I have seen for that combo. Its $340 for the 7700K and $260 for the MOBO on newegg, and he is asking 450 for both. Dude I would jump on that, since its $150 less then if you got them right now, brand new. Go for it, though you do have the problem with DDR4, so that $150 savings can go towards the memory.

7 minutes ago, onemanarmy720 said:

You can get 7700K's for around 250-300 on r/hardwareswap, it's currently 289.99 on ebay(sold by monoprice). 

A cheap option is to get an higher end Z170 board with the BIOS updated.

Keep in mind that DDR4 is pricey. 

2 minutes ago, Ninja_Commander said:

That is the best damn deal I have seen for that combo. Its $340 for the 7700K and $260 for the MOBO on newegg, and he is asking 450 for both. Dude I would jump on that, since its $150 less then if you got them right now, brand new. Go for it, though you do have the problem with DDR4, so that $150 savings can go towards the memory.

yeah i messaged him

3 minutes ago, Ninja_Commander said:

if i got that combo could i just plug in my other hardware i have now? like would windows still work? once i changed mobo and cpu and windows acted up.

1 minute ago, onemanarmy720 said:

if i got that combo could i just plug in my other hardware i have now? like would windows still work? once i changed mobo and cpu and windows acted up.

I don't know exactly. I never really had something like that happen to me.  I would think you might have an issue, but if you have it registered under an MS account it can work.  Again, I'm not sure about that.

I don't know exactly. I never really had something like that happen to me.  I would think you might have an issue, but if you have it registered under an MS account it can work.  Again, I'm not sure about that.

whoa why is ddr4 so expensive? wasnt like this a year ago.

15 minutes ago, SwingLifeAway92 said:

Overclocking the 4790k xD people talk so much crap about skylake temps haswell literally required a delid to get any overclock out of it

Tbh, stock 4790K approaches perilously close to the edge of what Haswell can give.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

8 minutes ago, onemanarmy720 said:

whoa why is ddr4 so expensive? wasnt like this a year ago.

No Idea why. Just happened. If you are going to have enough ram go with 16gb and just know that you will be spending over $150 for a 8GB x 2 kit.

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

Tbh, stock 4790K approaches perilously close to the edge of what Haswell can give.

Yeah I had one myself I could get it to 4.6ghz with a custom loop which was sad since it still ran fairly hot. I did however delid it and it capped out at 4.8ghz with temps that made me not have to turn on the heater in my room that winter xD

R7 2700x (4.3ghz), Gtx Titan Xp Galactic Empire (Watercooled), 2x8 Gskill Trident 3200mhz, Asus Crosshair VII Hero Wifi, Corsair 900D, SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 256gb, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, 4x3tb 7200rpm Segate Barracudas in Raid 10 EKWB Custom Loop, Corsair AX1500i Power supply

No Idea why. Just happened. If you are going to have enough ram go with 16gb and just know that you will be spending over $150 for a 8GB x 2 kit.

might just get this 4770 i found near me for $100 and save up the next year or so and get something new. lol i dont know tho

I say wait a bit, cause right now its not worth it to just get this chip. But since its not a K chip, and you don't have a board that can OC, it might be worth it till you decide on a new rig update.

Yeah that's a good deal sure you can't overclock but the perf gains of overclocking on haswell weren't great to start with and getting those extra threads for 100 (minus what you can sell current cpu for) is more than worth that compromise 

4 minutes ago, SwingLifeAway92 said:

will it work on my current board?