microsoft supporting all windows versions forever

emosun
20 minutes ago, Odur32 said:

You'd be very surprised, how many home users, especially older people, who still use windows 7. Actually, there are many companies who do regular hardware/software upgrade cycles. However, some schools do not, I am not sure about hospitals.

My grandparents all use windows 10. And our schools use windows XP machines and windows 7 machines for CNC programs. Actually in some classes we have macs dual boot windows XP and macos

@emosunmost of these old windows XP machines are never online so the only way they get replaced with newer stuff, probably windows 7, is when the old stuff bricks. They'll go with that their programs work on. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Linus cites the regular hardware upgrade cycles as a reason for cheap server hardware on websites like eBay. I also personally know of many companies who also upgrade to the new versions of windows about once every 2-4 years. 3M Unitek is one.

3 minutes ago, BadluckBrian said:

most of these old windows XP machines are never online

how do you think they get statistics on os usage every month in the world? they monitor which ones are online! lol. 

I'm talking about the adoption rate , and lack of trust , and in hindsight what could have been done to remedy it.

59 minutes ago, emosun said:

(soon to finally be globally surpassed by windows 10)

According to netmarketshare it's not going to happen soon.

In the past year, Win7's market share went from 48.38% to 46.63% (-1.75%)

In the same period, Win10 went up from 22.59% to 29.96% (+7.37%).  That growth will probably slow down because almost 5% of it was at the expense of XP (-1.8%), Vista (-0.64%) and Win8.1 (-2.43%), 3 versions which have little more to give. 

It's not that crazy to think that when support for Win7 ends in January 2020, Win7 will still have the biggest market share.  Win10's only hope in beating Win7 by then is that companies start replacing PCs by the millions in the next 2 years.

1 minute ago, Captain Chaos said:

According to netmarketshare it's not going to happen soon.

In the past year, Win7's market share went from 48.38% to 46.63% (-1.75%)

In the same period, Win10 went up from 22.59% to 29.96% (+7.37%).  That growth will probably slow down because almost 5% of it was at the expense of XP (-1.8%), Vista (-0.64%) and Win8.1 (-2.43%), 3 versions which have little more to give. 

It's not that crazy to think that when support for Win7 ends in January 2020, Win7 will still have the biggest market share.  Win10's only hope is that companies start replacing PCs by the millions.

I mentioned "soon to be passed" as statcounter.com showed it as being much closer.

there's no real way to know if net market share or statcounter is more accurate in the worldwide estimation. So i just say "soon" , as in sooner than later. I'm thinking we're over the overall time hump as far as the passing point it concerned. Maybe not this year but next year could be the passing point.

17 minutes ago, emosun said:

I mentioned "soon to be passed" as statcounter.com showed it as being much closer.

there's no real way to know if net market share or statcounter is more accurate in the worldwide estimation. So i just say "soon" , as in sooner than later. I'm thinking we're over the overall time hump as far as the passing point it concerned. Maybe not this year but next year could be the passing point.

Seeing how little issues we're having migrating our customers to W10, I'm sure that most W7 PCs will be migrated before the support ends, or at least before 2021. Exceptions being industrial systems and systems in hospitals etc. but they don't make up as much market share as people believe due to their offline nature.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

I guess ill never understand the hate for W10. I've been using it since it was released and the free upgrade was offered and despite a rocky launch I've never had any issues with it that make me want to go back to Windows 7 since i completely skipped 8 or go to another OS.

The 2 biggest complaints i see pop up about it, and it's in this thread too, is the telemetry...which can be turned off (if you use Chrome, google or android, it knows more about you than Windows does), If you're concerned about your privacy and how the big bad corporations are tracking your every move, you should probably just stay off the internet.

and the bloatware games pre installed like candy crush, which i also don't care about because they can be removed. While there have been some questionable decisions made by Microsoft in the past, I will continue to use windows over any other OS. Don't like MacOS, don't like Linux.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

8 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

The 2 biggest complaints i see pop up about it, and it's in this thread too, is the telemetry...which can be turned off (if you use Chrome, google or android, it knows more about you than Windows does), If you're concerned about your privacy and how the big bad corporations are tracking your every move, you should probably just stay off the internet.

the thing most people keep forgetting is the file logging and key logger in windows 10. Chrome doesn't track your offline activity. Windows 10 does , everything you type , and every file that exist on the machine as well. and neither of those gets turned off. And I'm surprised how many people think they turned off windows 10 spying by following a several month old guide. and then they leave windows updates on which simply patches out the guides work arounds. lol. 

but hey if it doesn't bother you that someone else can see everything you type regardless if you even type it on a totally blank desktop into nothing at all. then maybe windows 10 is for you.

I work at a hospital. We are currently using Windows Embedded, and some parts of the hospital are using Windows 7, while other parts are stuck on Windows XP because that's the best OS for the software. 

In the new hospital that has been built, the Information Services staff is busy working on implementing Windows 10 to every single PC (think 600-800) and will not only require stringent testing, but a lot of patience. 

Rebranding a PC and upgrading the internals will not only cause a PC to not function correctly, but may create lawsuits where programs fail to function or even yield incorrect results. 

Most organizations running on an OS that seems old do so because that's what works best for them without having any errors. 

We are going to be upgrading all computers at the organization I work for in the next 6-8 months, but as for now it's a long ways away because the embedded solution works in ways windows 10 refuses to. 

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

2 hours ago, Sierra Fox said:

the telemetry...which can be turned off

You must have more settings than the rest of the world.  Last I checked the lowest option is the "basic" setting which still transmits a ton of data, a lot of which isn't even anonymized.

2 hours ago, emosun said:

the thing most people keep forgetting is the file logging and key logger in windows 10. Chrome doesn't track your offline activity. Windows 10 does , everything you type , and every file that exist on the machine as well. and neither of those gets turned off. And I'm surprised how many people think they turned off windows 10 spying by following a several month old guide. and then they leave windows updates on which simply patches out the guides work arounds. lol. 

but hey if it doesn't bother you that someone else can see everything you type regardless if you even type it on a totally blank desktop into nothing at all. then maybe windows 10 is for you.

Settings > Privacy > Speech, inking & typing > Turn off speech services and tying suggestions

"If you turn on Speech, inking, & typing, we collect samples of your typing and handwriting info to improve our dictionaries and handwriting recognition for everybody who uses Windows. We take care to remove identifiers and store the data chopped up in small, random chunks so that we can use the information for product improvement while protecting the identities of users who submitted it."

it would appear that is this is turned off, that what you're saying is basically null and void. Now i work in a Bank, and in my role I have access to the personal details of every single one of our customers, names, dates of birth, phone numbers, full financial records, etc because it pertains to the role i have. Ii don't spend my day going through peoples information for shits and giggles. i would argue i have access to more personal information than Microsoft collects from my computer. and do you know why i dont go through people's private information? firstly it's morally fucked up and a breach of privacy, secondly it's grounds for immediate termination of employment and i like my job and if i was to lose it in such a way, who would every consider hiring me?

38 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

You must have more settings than the rest of the world.  Last I checked the lowest option is the "basic" setting which still transmits a ton of data, a lot of which isn't even anonymized.

Now i've read through the different telemetry levels and would love to know which part of the "basic telemetry" has you spooked there is no personal information collected. The way people act makes it seem as though everyone in the employ of Microsoft can access this data. see the above response as well, same thing applies.

People seem to have this misconception that all the Microsoft employees sit around all day spying on people and laughing at what you do, but honesty? i can pretty much guarantee they don't give a shit what you do, it's a job, they do what they are employed to do, if they do have to go through telemetry data, and sure, for the sake of the argument let's say your name is linked to it, they don't care, it's a name of someone they will never meet, just another name in a sea of data that they have to look at for work, not pleasure.

Again, if you're seriously that concerned about your privacy and think that every big corporation is out to get you and your information, stay off the internet.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

4 hours ago, emosun said:

I'm not too sure either of you understood what I was trying to say. I forget that most users here tend to skim.

even if I elaborate then that'll also be skimmed , unsolvable problem. lol

i think both parties raise a good point. your idea would enable better security and more people using windows 10 with them hardly noticing if at all. @firelighter487 makes a good point. Microsoft has put lots of work into making the UI between xbox and windows 10 to be very similar. Also on of the features they try to sell windows 10 on is the smooth clean UI. While windows 7 is functional and works well, it doesnt fit Microsoft vision for the future. @IKnightmakes a point that is very important. lots of medical equipment runs on old software software due to the stability and security that the software has built in. If those computers went down even for an hour or two for updating there would be chaos, not to mention some of those programs being less secure or stable.

TLDR: great idea and awesome in theory, but roadblocks like software incompatibility and Microsoft pride would likely prevent this from happening

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

6 hours ago, emosun said:

make the os look and feel like it's new/unreliable/untested/unproven.

hahahah.....what?

Spending time re skinning just to make it look "more stable" or "more proven" in your eyes takes time which means money, testing, debugging....etc. Its not worth it. 

Not sure why or how you think XP or 7 look more stable? Since when do looks have to do with performance?

6 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

microsoft won't do that. that makes no sense. 

the whole idea of Windows 10 is consistency with other products. think about the xbox ui, and hololens etc. to stick withthe Windows 7 looks would make no sense at all. 

Agreed, For the longest time, We've seen Microsoft work towards creating a platform across everything they can and making it the same on every device. Example, Minecraft Windows 10 edition and the game on mobile and portable consoles have the same or similar UI.