Starcraft 2 is now Free To Play 7 years after launch

AlTech

If you look very long term, the pricing of a game does drop over time. Get it on launch day, you're paying top price. Give it 6 months to a year, depending on how well it sold, it'll often be in the discount section. Longer, they don't always go free, but many get close to practically free.

I think at this stage giving away the base game is like a kinda extended trial. Get more interest for people who were not motivated enough to buy before, and some might like it enough to buy subsequent expansions.

I own original Starcraft from when it first came out, and I'm not upset when they made that free. I got my value out of it. Ok, that was a far longer gap than for SC2... but they are still giving a bit extra to those who have already got the base game.

As for launchers, I never found the Blizzard one that annoying. It just works. I hated Steam far more in the early days. It isn't actually any better now but I basically got used to its quirks. I'm not a fan of Uplay or GOG ones either... but I'll manage them as needed. I only got those due to free game codes in past and they had to be redeemed on those platforms. Similarly for Origin, but I use that so rarely I can't even remember what the launcher looks like!

I will add, I tend to NOT let any launcher start itself. It only starts when I want to use it, so it doesn't get in the way when I don't. The drawback with this method is of course background updates don't happen. Sometimes when signing into Steam it wants to download the whole internet...

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

18 hours ago, MilitantCro said:

Woooow you are so nitpicking, if you play OW for instance you just run the Bnet app and it will automaticly be set to OW with a giant play button no adds. How can you be bothered by this its only non laggy easy to use launcher for all games with max download speeds and automatic or organized updates next to steam.

You are just hating on it for hating sake.

I'm sorry, I genuinely didn't realise asking a question was considered hating these days? I'll try to not do that in the future.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I've received my free gift of Heart of the Swarm, for owning Wings of Liberty. I thought this was starting the 14 of november, I guess they started earlier?

(Received an email about it, game was in my "Gifts" box in the Blizzard Battle.net launcher(right beside your username in the top right). You have to claim it before December 8 otherwise it expire)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro