Lets see how smart you are.

Supercian411
Go to solution Solved by TheRandomness,

The mark scheme is going to say Optical storage since data on it cannot normally be destroyed properly unless intended.

This is a question from my computer science test i did the other day.

Question 7

Which of the following is best used for saving information you wish to back up, Hard Drive, RAM, Optical storage or ROM.

Ill answer later. 

Hard drive.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I'm going to guess the one that actually deals with storing information.

Clearly RAM as it is the most volatile xD 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I mean your not gonna back up your system on your system

Omega-  I5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 1060 | Cougar Panzer | DDR4 16GB 3000MHz | MSI Z170 Gaming M5

EVGA 650 GQ | AOC 60Hz Freesync Panels x2 | AOC 144hz Freesync Panel x1

Epsilon- I7 2700k | Asus GTX 970 | Corsair 780t | DDR3 8GB 1600MHz | EVGA Z68 FTW Mobo

Corsair 750W G2 | Acer R240HY x2

Upsilon- i7 5500u | 6GB DDR3 | 720p 60Hz panel

8 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Hard drive.

8 hours ago, firecrafter711 said:

The answer they're probably looking for is optical storage ROM but I would say hard drive

8 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Clearly RAM as it is the most volatile xD 

8 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I'm going to guess the one that actually deals with storing information.

8 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

RAM.

Its optical storage some how

I could of been best in class

They want optical drive. 

In the real world. Tapes and mechanical hard drives are used. 

Writing to a ROM for backup is a horrible idea. I write to ROMs every day and ya don’t use that for backup. It’s volatile and has horrible endurance. 

Just now, BigBill256 said:

They want optical drive. 

In the real world. Tapes and mechanical hard drives are used. 

Writing to a ROM for backup is a horrible idea. I write to ROMs every day and ya don’t use that for backup. It’s volatile and has horrible endurance. 

I agree, no lcompany has 1000s of 700mb CDs 

9 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

The mark scheme is going to say Optical storage since data on it cannot normally be destroyed properly unless intended.

5 minutes ago, Supercian411 said:

I agree, no lcompany has 1000s of 700mb CDs 

It is because it has no moving parts that can fail, and can be put in any cd/dvd drive to be accessed

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

23 minutes ago, Supercian411 said:

This is a question from my computer science test i did the other day.

Question 7

Which of the following is best used for saving information you wish to back up, Hard Drive, RAM, Optical storage or ROM.

Ill answer later. 

Hard drive

I deal with automotive ecu ROMs. The NAND isnt the greatest thing. But think of it like writing your bios 50 times. I’m not gonna backup my passwords on my bios. (Cool idea) and it would work. However the endurance of most bios ROM chips is in the 1000 write range or so. 

1 minute ago, Thermosman said:

It is because it has no moving parts that can fail, and can be put in any cd/dvd drive to be accessed

Right. But optical media that is written with consumer red and blue lasers have a very high likelyhood of data corruption over time. Even with no moving parts. 

I would much rather have a hard drive from 10 years ago than my buddy’s burned dvd. That being said I would much rather have the orinigal dvd. So optical wins? Maybe lol

I´m too stupid to answer this question.  The answer depends on what kind of information is to be saved, on how it is available and on exactly what variant of storage type suits the requirements of the backup.

1 minute ago, BigBill256 said:

I deal with automotive ecu ROMs. The NAND isnt the greatest thing. But think of it like writing your bios 50 times. I’m not gonna backup my passwords on my bios. (Cool idea) and it would work. However the endurance of most bios ROM chips is in the 1000 write range or so. 

Right. But optical media that is written with consumer red and blue lasers have a very high likelyhood of data corruption over time. Even with no moving parts. 

I would much rather have a hard drive from 10 years ago than my buddy’s burned dvd. That being said I would much rather have the orinigal dvd. So optical wins? Maybe lol

the question's answer doesnt really make much sense, does it;

however, assuming you store them properly, optical media will last forever

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

That depends on the media, like DVDs will rot over time and last only 20 years or so.  Not that anyone is supposed to think that this is intentionally so ...

Just now, heimdali said:

That depends on the media, like DVDs will rot over time and last only 20 years or so.  Not that anyone is supposed to think that this is intentionally so ...

not if you store them properly in a vacuum.

Professionally authored and produced media lasts a very long time.

the crap you buy from the store and burn on your computer does not last a very long time. That’s why that question is from a book that’s probably on its 20th revision (and nothing has been revised) and the advice is from 1991. Back in the old days it was true. Now with consumer level crap all over it isn’t an absolute. 

Just now, Thermosman said:

not if you store them properly in a vacuum.

Are you sure?  They use some organic compound, and even if it doesn´t literally rot, it might just degrade even faster in a vacuum.

Besides, upholding that vacuum long term can be difficult, and what happens when the DVD is suddenly removed from it after 30 years?  What about temperature requirements?

8 hours ago, heimdali said:

Are you sure?  They use some organic compound, and even if it doesn´t literally rot, it might just degrade even faster in a vacuum.

Besides, upholding that vacuum long term can be difficult, and what happens when the DVD is suddenly removed from it after 30 years?  What about temperature requirements?

organic molecule? it is an aluminum film

8 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

Guys, you have to remember that this is a relatively low-level computer science test. This question is asking for just that with no other variables concerned :P

lol

Just now, Thermosman said:

lol

Just now, TheRandomness said:

Guys, you have to remember that this is a relatively low-level computer science test. This question is asking for just that with no other variables concerned :P

Im in year 10 and that question just frustrated me and im pretty sure my teacher is a tech support scammer .

8 hours ago, BigBill256 said:

Professionally authored and produced media lasts a very long time.

the crap you buy from the store and burn on your computer does not last a very long time. That’s why that question is from a book that’s probably on its 20th revision (and nothing has been revised) and the advice is from 1991. Back in the old days it was true. Now with consumer level crap all over it isn’t an absolute. 

No, it´s only an extremely retarded question that can be answered in many ways.  In 1991, it might have been best to save the information on a piece of paper before backing it up.  That may still go for information in 2018 and later.

Mind you, the question doesn´t ask what to use for backup but what to use to save information you want to backup, and that can be pretty much anything that can be used to store information.

8 hours ago, Thermosman said:

organic molecule? it is an aluminum film

I don´t know for sure, only that it´s something organic, and IIRC the organic stuff was just the stuff the data is actually written to, so that can´t be great for durability.  CDs aren´t organic, so you better keep your data on CDs than DVDs ...

5 minutes ago, Supercian411 said:

Im in year 10 and that question just frustrated me and im pretty sure my teacher is a tech support scammer .

GSCE? Yeah, they purposefully teach you some things wrong to make sure you pass the GCSE.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats