Can Desktop Use Wifi via a Laptop?

PKLee

This sounds totally unnecessary and rediculous, but here's my situation.

I'm about to move into a new apartment, that's what I've been looking for in the past months, except that my network would not be ready until 1 month after I move in. I talked to my new neighbours, they're nice and said that I could use their Wifi for the first month. My laptop and phone have Wifi, but my Desktop doesn't. So instead of having to buy a USB based Wifi stick or a PCIe WLAN card and getting rid of them after one month, I wonder if it is possible to simply hook up a wire between laptop and desktop, connect to Wifi on the laptop so that the desktop would be connected as well. You konw, just like Wifi hotspot on a laptop, but all the way around.

I know routers could do it, but my router comes with the internet, so that's a no.

Many thanks

10 minutes ago, PKLee said:

This sounds totally unnecessary and rediculous, but here's my situation.

I'm about to move into a new apartment, that's what I've been looking for in the past months, except that my network would not be ready until 1 month after I move in. I talked to my new neighbours, they're nice and said that I could use their Wifi for the first month. My laptop and phone have Wifi, but my Desktop doesn't. So instead of having to buy a USB based Wifi stick or a PCIe WLAN card and getting rid of them after one month, I wonder if it is possible to simply hook up a wire between laptop and desktop, connect to Wifi on the laptop so that the desktop would be connected as well. You konw, just like Wifi hotspot on a laptop, but all the way around.

I know routers could do it, but my router comes with the internet, so that's a no.

Many thanks

I've used a phone to connect the wifi then share the connection with my desktop through usb before. But I don't remember exactly how I did it, I have a iphone and I had to use a jailbreak tether app cause the stock iphone tether doesn't support tethering wifi -> usb.

A good search term is "Repeat wifi signal with desktop/phone"

A $10 USB Wifi dongle will be something that's nice to have around though even after your done with it

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

instead of using laptop you can use smartphone by first connecting wifi and turning on usb hotspot

Connect your laptop to wifi, select both your Wifi and LAN adapter in "Network Adapters" right click, "Bridge adapters". Connect ethernet cable from laptop to desktop.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Or you can remove your laptop's wireless card, buy a cheap mini PCIe to PCI Express card and put it in your desktop. But that's a waste of time and effort. 

Main Desktop:

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-13700KF (5.5GHz, -0.1v Offset), Lian Li Galahad 360 AIO, MSI Z690 Force WiFi, ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 3070 OC, 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6000 CL36, 500GB WD Black SN850, 500GB WD Black SN750, 4TB Toshiba N300, Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular PSUPhanteks P500a Digital 

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Dell S3422DWG 34 inch 144Hz QHD Ultrawide Monitor, Logitech G815 Lightsync, Logitech G703 Lightspeed, Razer Basilisk X Hyperspeed, Sennheiser HD 560s, Cooler Master MH630

Laptops:

Spoiler

Razer Blade 14 (2021),  AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX, Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU, 2x8GB DDR4, 1TB Samsung PM991a

Phones:

Spoiler

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4 5G 256Gb Graygreen, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 128GB (Running Pixel Experience Android 13)

10 minutes ago, oxyfury said:

I've used a phone to connect the wifi then share the connection with my desktop through usb before. But I don't remember exactly how I did it, I have a iphone and I had to use a jailbreak tether app cause the stock iphone tether doesn't support tethering wifi -> usb.

A good search term is "Repeat wifi signal with desktop/phone"

A $10 USB Wifi dongle will be something that's nice to have around though even after your done with it

Okay thanks for that, but I'd rather pay for another router than jailbreak my phone...

14 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Thanks for that, I just wonder if I had a solution where I don't have to buy another stuff... buying shitty stuff then getting rid of it is just not my thing.

14 minutes ago, krishna1997 said:

instead of using laptop you can use smartphone by first connecting wifi and turning on usb hotspot

With Android you mean? I don't have any of that

14 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

Connect your laptop to wifi, select both your Wifi and LAN adapter in "Network Adapters" right click, "Bridge adapters". Connect ethernet cable from laptop to desktop.

I don't remember it being this easy... I think you need a special protocal in order to connect two computers without using router... or at least in the old days

Just now, PKLee said:

I don't remember it being this easy... I think you need a special protocal in order to connect two computers without using router... or at least in the old days

I haven't done it in probably 4-5 years, but I remember this being pretty much what I did. Your NIC should auto detect that it needs to be crossed over.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

14 minutes ago, Idkwhat2putheresowhatever said:

Or you can remove your laptop's wireless card, buy a cheap mini PCIe to PCI Express card and put it in your desktop. But that's a waste of time and effort. 

How can you make two points in one sentence? Yes I could and yes I would be wasting my time

3 minutes ago, PKLee said:

How can you make two points in one sentence? Yes I could and yes I would be wasting my time

I'm just suggesting a way to solve your problem.  But I don't think that it would be the most practical solution. 

Main Desktop:

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-13700KF (5.5GHz, -0.1v Offset), Lian Li Galahad 360 AIO, MSI Z690 Force WiFi, ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 3070 OC, 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6000 CL36, 500GB WD Black SN850, 500GB WD Black SN750, 4TB Toshiba N300, Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular PSUPhanteks P500a Digital 

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Dell S3422DWG 34 inch 144Hz QHD Ultrawide Monitor, Logitech G815 Lightsync, Logitech G703 Lightspeed, Razer Basilisk X Hyperspeed, Sennheiser HD 560s, Cooler Master MH630

Laptops:

Spoiler

Razer Blade 14 (2021),  AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX, Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU, 2x8GB DDR4, 1TB Samsung PM991a

Phones:

Spoiler

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4 5G 256Gb Graygreen, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 128GB (Running Pixel Experience Android 13)

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy13 said:

Yes, What you can do is Connect to your WiFi on the laptop, Connect an Ethernet Cable from your laptop to your PC and within Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections You can select both the WiFi and LAN Network Interface Controller. And select Bridge.

One thing that you might find is your Desktop's NIC might not support a straight through connection between two computers, and you will then have to use a Crossover Ethernet cable, or a switch in between the laptop and Desktop.

Another thing that you might want to consider is, the laptop will have to be on, If you mean for this to be a permanent solution, then you might aswell just buy a USB dongle or a WiFi Card. You can get a decent AC wireless card for like £30

Yes that's exactlly what I had in mind when connecting two computers straight ahead, you need a crossover cable... don't know how it works now.

And no this won't be permanent. I don't mind having to have my laptop open when I'm using desktop, I don't pay for electricity anyway :P

8 minutes ago, MrIceCremeLollipop said:

It does, Ive done it, Both running 10.

Ahh that would be cool, thanks

Okay thanks guys, I think I've got enough ideas to play with a little bit... will come back if it didn't work out