Did I get lucky? (free HTC 10)

MellowCream

So awhile ago (9/11), I submitted a ticket for an advanced replacement. I was then told I was going to have to wait upwards of a month for the device, I couldn't wait that long for a device so I cancelled the replacement and HTC refunded my money. (I have chat logs for all of this, and no money has been taken out of my bank since.)

Today I received a brand new HTC 10, with the ticket number verification included in the box, I checked to see if the ticket was reopened, it wasn't. It's exactly the same as it was in 9/12 when it was cancelled. My bank still shows they haven't taken anything out.

What would you do?

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Corsair H100i Pro | ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 | Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2x16gb @ 3200mhz  | Vega 64 @ Stock | Fractal Design Define R4 | Corsair RM750

ThinkPad T480 | Intel Core i7 8650u | Nvidia MX150 | 32GB DDR4 @ 2400mhz | Samsung 840 Pro 1tb | 1080p touchscreen

Tell them and see what they say 

If you want to argue with me, and you probably will please PM me, no need to ruin threads becase you dont like how I am.

Ask me how I made 100k selling illegal narcotics!

Spoiler

and you think im joking, Did a lot of wrong to get my money right.

I look up to Larry Hoover.

Your homies loyal 'til the one time you tell 'em no

Just now, Clockwork_princess said:

Tell them and see what they say 

But what if they proceed to take money out of my account?

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Corsair H100i Pro | ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 | Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2x16gb @ 3200mhz  | Vega 64 @ Stock | Fractal Design Define R4 | Corsair RM750

ThinkPad T480 | Intel Core i7 8650u | Nvidia MX150 | 32GB DDR4 @ 2400mhz | Samsung 840 Pro 1tb | 1080p touchscreen

It is possible that they won't care about it as it is a rare case.

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

Just now, MellowCream said:

The probably won't. 

My own build: RΛZΞR theme

CPU: Intel Core i5 7600K // CPU cooler: Cryorig H7 // Motherboard: MSI Z270 gaming pro carbon //       

Video Card: MSI Armor gtx 1070 OC 8GB // RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3200MHz //  

SSD: Samsung EVO 960 500GB // HDD: 2x WD yellow edition 2TB //

Case: NZXT H440 RAZER edition // Power Supply: Corsair RM550x //         

Operating Software: Windows 10 pro 64-bit

This happens sometimes.

1. If the product was already shipped but not marked as shipped the moment it was shipped. The CSR will not see it and thus refund you your money.
  2. If the product was not shipped and the cancellation took time to process through the system and is still marked as active, it can be shipped.

However, if this was through your carrier you CAN and WILL be charged since the phone will be linked to your account. If through HTC, keep it and be silent (if you're that kind of person).

1 minute ago, MellowCream said:

So what? If you're keeping the device, then you should pay for it, unless they tell you it's alright.

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

Just now, bruny06 said:

So what? If you're keeping the device, then you should pay for it, unless they tell you it's alright.

I don't want the device and I don't want to have to wait with $600 out of my bank account. 

6 minutes ago, MellowCream said:

If your honest most big company’s don’t care from my experience , I’ve got a package in the mail that wasn’t mine before and I told amazon and they let me keep it and they sent out a new one to the right person 

but it talk with them and if anything you’ll Just have to ship it back 

If you want to argue with me, and you probably will please PM me, no need to ruin threads becase you dont like how I am.

Ask me how I made 100k selling illegal narcotics!

Spoiler

and you think im joking, Did a lot of wrong to get my money right.

I look up to Larry Hoover.

Your homies loyal 'til the one time you tell 'em no

2 minutes ago, phongle123 said:

This happens sometimes.

1. If the product was already shipped but not marked as shipped the moment it was shipped. The CSR will not see it and thus refund you your money.
  2. If the product was not shipped and the cancellation took time to process through the system and is still marked as active, it can be shipped.

However, if this was through your carrier you CAN and WILL be charged since the phone will be linked to your account. If through HTC, keep it and be silent (if you're that kind of person).

It was through HTC, however I'm not sure if I should just send it back (costing me money in shipping) or just keeping it.

I specifically asked for it to be cancelled and refunded to an HTC supervisor, and it was. I have chat logs for all of this.

For some reason, although I didn't do anything wrong, I feel like I did. 

2 minutes ago, MellowCream said:

I don't want the device and I don't want to have to wait with $600 out of my bank account. 

Well, if I was you, I would tell them, and if they charge you for it, just tell them you don't want it and then arrange the return shipping.

5 minutes ago, MellowCream said:

Tell Them and offer to send it back if they pay shipping. Spending your time sending it back is enough of a gesture in my opinion. If they charge you, you have evidence that you cancelled, and should be able to have your bank cancel the payment. HTC made a mistake, no way in hell should you pay them anything for them to have it back.

3 minutes ago, MellowCream said:

It was through HTC, however I'm not sure if I should just send it back (costing me money in shipping) or just keeping it.

I specifically asked for it to be cancelled and refunded to an HTC supervisor, and it was. I have chat logs for all of this.

if they charge get the bank to cancell it lol

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

2 minutes ago, MellowCream said:

Someone did not see that it was cancelled and decided to ship it to you anyways. Therefore, it is a system malfunction. And while people can argue that it's not their fault because the system messed up. It's also not the workers/representatives fault. That won't hold in any court of law.

4 minutes ago, MellowCream said:

^That's why you feel bad. You know it's not right.

As @Clockwork_princess said, most big companies don't care. I once ordered 2 items from Amazon and paid £4 in shipping for both items. I woke up the next morning and the items were shipped and I received an invoice. Turns out one of the items wasn't handled by Amazon and I can't remember how exactly it happened but I understood the invoice as I was paying £4 for each item in shipping because I was a bit sleepy. I called Amazon and they refunded the shipping costs. Later I noticed I was wrong and called them to pay them the £4 back. They said it was alright, I insisted a LOT, and they still said it was alright and told me to enjoy the free shipping...In this case, it was just £4, but once, I bought a motherboard off eBay and I got a refund as it was the second week I was waiting (it was supposed to take 3 days). 2 weeks later, so, 4 weeks in total waiting, the motherboard arrived. I talked to the seller to arrange the return shipping and he just let me keep it...Sometimes you get more from being honest than not being honest.

4 minutes ago, phongle123 said:

Someone did not see that it was cancelled and decided to ship it to you anyways. Therefore, it is a system malfunction. And while people can argue that it's not their fault because the system messed up. It's also not the workers/representatives fault. That won't hold in any court of law.

Whats not right? Keeping something you didn't pay for?

4 minutes ago, phongle123 said:

If they charge him, they are basically having him pay for their mistake. Even if they only charge him for shipping.

Ive personally had good success with asking nicely for both Asus and Corsair to pay shipping for their defective products. Being polite about it should go a long way. Gotten discounts from companies, for reminding them to send me invoices more than once.

1 minute ago, bruny06 said:

I talked to the seller to arrange the return shipping and he just let me keep it...Sometimes you get more from being honest than not being honest.

That's actually not it. Returning something doesn't just cost them or you shipping money to return it. They have to process it and if through prime will cost the seller that money. Which is why through a lot of seller feedback, Amazon decided to reinstate the let customers keep returns program if it is on stuff that the seller doesn't want back.

Happens pretty often, stuff is in the mail when you get a refund and then it shows up eventually.

If you want to be a "morally high standards" person you can always let them know, chances are they will just tell you to keep it and not worry about paying.

For a large company like that, a few hundred dollars is not going to make a difference to them. It might just be more trouble for them to try to reopen a ticket and take a non-standard payment or whatever they need to do.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, NoobCase said:

If they charge him, they are basically having him pay for their mistake. Even if they only charge him for shipping.

Ive personally had good success with asking nicely for both Asus and Corsair to pay shipping for their defective products. Being polite about it should go a long way. Gotten discounts from companies, for reminding them to send me invoices more than once.

This was a response to a series of comments. You'd need to read the first comment relating to this.

Just now, NoobCase said:

Did read everything, but didn’t notice your earlier posts was by you, if that makes sense? Sry bout that

Yea, I said that companies wont make you pay for it but your carrier will basically.

I just got off the phone, they have no record of the shipment and said they'd investigate it and call me back within 24hrs.