Buying from Craigslist

hello all,

I find this deal of 16gb of ram, but the seller can't provide a bios screeshot to confirm its working because he no longer have all the component to make a whole system. Is there anyway to protect myself from buying a broken part?

Thanks!

1 minute ago, Devin92 said:

hello all,

I find this deal of 16gb of ram, but the seller can't provide a bios screeshot to confirm its working because he no longer have all the component to make a whole system. Is there anyway to protect myself from buying a broken part?

Thanks!

The best way to make sure you don't get scammed is by not buying from Craigslist.  Sorry, that's the best I can come up with.  Read too many stories about people getting scammed on Craigslist.

Good luck.

I wouldn't even try it. RAM generally doesn't die easily, but if he can't verify the sticks work... 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Most RAM has a lifetime warranty, so you could try contacting the manufacturer and asking what the specifics of the warranty are. Then if it's a good deal, you could always RMA them if they don't work. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I wouldn't even try it. RAM generally doesn't die easily, but if he can't verify the sticks work... 

This ^^^ If he can't show you recent pics of it working or run a memtest, and you don't want to lug your PC there with a car adapter and run one yourself, don't buy it. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Meet at his house and if he scammed you come back with 5 guys and some baseball bats 

If you want to argue with me, and you probably will please PM me, no need to ruin threads becase you dont like how I am.

Ask me how I made 100k selling illegal narcotics!

Spoiler

and you think im joking, Did a lot of wrong to get my money right.

I look up to Larry Hoover.

Your homies loyal 'til the one time you tell 'em no

2 minutes ago, Clockwork_princess said:

Meet at his hous and if he scammed you come back with 5 guys and some baseball bats 

Wow hahahaha

Just now, RAM555789 said:

I would bring pistols over baseball bats.

You can always say it’s just your baseball team with you, idk how you’ll explain to the police why you brought guns to his house,

you ou want to scare him not go to jail

If you want to argue with me, and you probably will please PM me, no need to ruin threads becase you dont like how I am.

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Most RAM has a lifetime warranty, so you could try contacting the manufacturer and asking what the specifics of the warranty are. Then if it's a good deal, you could always RMA them if they don't work. 

its from Corsair. Do they generally need a receipt of purchase for RMA? I just read corsiar warranty policy and they said they offer non-transferable warranty, so I guess it wont work anyway.

7 minutes ago, Clockwork_princess said:

Meet at his hous and if he scammed you come back with 5 guys and some baseball bats 

4 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

2 minutes ago, Clockwork_princess said:

You can always say it’s just your baseball team with you, idk how you’ll explain to the police why you brought guns to his house,

I can see this thread going wild. But i think i will give it a shot. any one of you want to be my Camera man if this goes down like this?

3 minutes ago, Clockwork_princess said:

Conceal carry permit, and argue to the cop that I'm just exercising my right to carry a firearm xD

8 minutes ago, Clockwork_princess said:

5 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

And this is why Craigslist exchanges should be done in public places where there will be witnesses.  Like a local restaurant or somewhere else public where there will be plenty of people.

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

And this is why Craigslist exchanges should be done in public places where there will be witnesses.  Like a local restaurant or somewhere else public where there will be plenty of people.

Witnesses and CCTV. 

I personally only sell on Craigslist and buy on Ebay. That way paypal can protect me on ebay.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I bought multiple sets of RAM on Craigslist. Including the one I have now (this guy sold it for cheap because he though it's faulty... He didn't know that XMP is a thing LOL).

RAM is VERY hard to kill. Just saying.

Than again, if you are worried... don't buy it. I'm aware that one day I can get scammed, but so far I saved a LOT of money buying from craigslist. 

My whole PC is from craigslist (except for case, keyboard and mouse) xD 

Intel i7 3770k@4.7GHz delidded NZXT Kraken x62 Asus P8Z77-V PRO/Thunderbolt | G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW

Phanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W P2 | 840 evo 256gb + HyperX 3k 480gb + 2 HDD (2TB) Asus Essence STX + Sennheiser HD580

AOC G2460PG 144Hz 24" + Asus VH236H 23" | Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Stealth | Logitech G703

Windows 10 Pro

Pixelbook 2017 (i5, 8GB, 128GB)

3 minutes ago, Ekst4zy said:

I bought multiple sets of RAM on Craigslist. Including the one I have now (this guy sold it for cheap because he though it's faulty... He didn't know that XMP is a thing LOL).

RAM is VERY hard to kill. Just saying.

did you confirm these RAM (except the one the owner think its faulty) is working before you buy it or you take the risks?

46 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

So you can freely scam people? 

if you don’t scam then there is no reason to go back

Spoiler

35 minutes ago, Devin92 said:

did you confirm these RAM (except the one the owner think its faulty) is working before you buy it or you take the risks?

Take the risk... I was buying 2x4gb for like 30 cad. Also, I trust people more when the deal is done at somebody's house. Who would risk broken window for 30 cad? (not saying that I would do it, but there are dangerous people out there) 

Intel i7 3770k@4.7GHz delidded NZXT Kraken x62 Asus P8Z77-V PRO/Thunderbolt | G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW

Phanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W P2 | 840 evo 256gb + HyperX 3k 480gb + 2 HDD (2TB) Asus Essence STX + Sennheiser HD580

AOC G2460PG 144Hz 24" + Asus VH236H 23" | Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Stealth | Logitech G703

Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Devin92 said:

hello all,

Thanks!

If the seller is unable to test the RAM in person while you are there, I would generally avoid that seller.

You could bring all your components (PSU, MB, CPU, etc) to his place and setup your stuff to test it yourself before paying, but that's a pain in the ass.

My general rule of thumb: if they can't prove it works, don't buy (unless you implicitly trust them because you know them personally, etc).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

hello all,

Thanks!

It depend what price it is. If its really cheap, buy it, and if it doesn't work, then sell it again.

Just now, Mr_Argon said:

It depend what price it is. If its really cheap, buy it, and if it doesn't work, then sell it again.

That's all kinds of unethical.

OP, don't do that.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I can see this thread going wild. But i think i will give it a shot. any one of you want to be my Camera man if this goes down like this?

I'm down! Tell me where and when

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

OP, don't do that.

well I think his idea is much more gentle than showing up at seller's house with 5-6 friends with baseball bat. :P

But yeah, I asked him twice if he can show the set is working but he denies eventho he has all the parts and I offered him $10 extra if he doing so. I guess I should not take the risk.

9 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

OP, don't do that.

If it doesn't work... just take the bullet.

That's the risk of Craigslist. Deal with it.

Windows 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, Devin92 said:

well I think his idea is much more gentle than showing up at seller's house with 5-6 friends with baseball bat. :P

But yeah, I asked him twice if he can show the set is working but he denies eventho he has all the parts and I offered him $10 extra if he doing so. I guess I should not take the risk.

How much is it anyways? $10 extra for test? is it even a good deal? 

Windows 10 Pro