Configuration for new 1440p monitor

chiller15

I've recently purchased a 24" 1440p Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync monitor to pair with my GTX 1070. Whilst I understand that I may not be able to games maxed out...what (if any other) configuration is required for me to utilize this new monitor?

I have so far:

1) Used the DP cable provided by Dell

2) Installed the drivers for the monitor

3) Enabled G-Sync in the NVIDIA control panel

4) Set my desktop resultion as 2560×1440

With the above configured, I launched Battlefield 1, with everything set to max and the resolution set at 2560×1440 144hz. I started the opening campain introduction...and was a little underwhelmed. I only recently played through Battlefield 1 on the same setup, just on an older 1080p monitor...and I didn't notice any vast improvements like I was expecting.

Any thoughts?

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

You should feel a smoother experience. If not, probably the upgrade wasn't worth it. Did you have a 1080p 144hz monitor?

Maybe 1070 is not able to push enough frame above 60fps so you can't enjoy higher refresh rate in that game?

It's funny but I always notice that my monitor is not at 110hz on my desktop since the mouse trail isn't long enough at 60hz.

20 minutes ago, raphidy said:

You should feel a smoother experience. If not, probably the upgrade wasn't worth it. Did you have a 1080p 144hz monitor?

Maybe 1070 is not able to push enough frame above 60fps so you can't enjoy higher refresh rate in that game?

It's funny but I always notice that my monitor is not at 110hz on my desktop since the mouse trail isn't long enough at 60hz.

The movement was smooth when I was playing. I've spent £380 on this monitor and I don't want to regret it. :( 

The previous monitor was a 1080p 60Hz monitor. I'll have to use something like FRAPS to view my FPS during game play.

1 hour ago, chiller15 said:

The movement was smooth when I was playing. I've spent £380 on this monitor and I don't want to regret it. :( 

The previous monitor was a 1080p 60Hz monitor. I'll have to use something like FRAPS to view my FPS during game play.

I'd make sure you're getting the refresh rate in games as sometimes it doesn't always work, You should notice it's smother in general not just in games.

Check your windows display settings and nvidia control panel to see if you're set to 165hz then goto https://www.testufo.com/ make sure you use chrome.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

5 hours ago, chiller15 said:

I've recently purchased a 24" 1440p Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync monitor to pair with my GTX 1070. Whilst I understand that I may not be able to games maxed out...what (if any other) configuration is required for me to utilize this new monitor?

I have so far:

1) Used the DP cable provided by Dell

2) Installed the drivers for the monitor

3) Enabled G-Sync in the NVIDIA control panel

4) Set my desktop resultion as 2560×1440

With the above configured, I launched Battlefield 1, with everything set to max and the resolution set at 2560×1440 144hz. I started the opening campain introduction...and was a little underwhelmed. I only recently played through Battlefield 1 on the same setup, just on an older 1080p monitor...and I didn't notice any vast improvements like I was expecting.

Any thoughts?

You WILL be able to play every game maxed out. The Questio is.. how much fps will you get.

Thanks to G-Sync, your experience will always be smooth, as long you sit below 165 fps. (Riva tuner, set fps limit to 163 (your Hz -2), and be done with it. forever smooth.).

Which means, even if the Game runs in 50 fps, it will be smooth (smooth = even consistent Frametimes, no doubled frames, no stuttering, no tearing).

You have the privilege, to set every single Game to your personal sweet spot between graphic Quality, and fps.

You need more fps in BF1 to have it smoother / less input Lag for multiplayer? Don't use ultra. Go down to High or even a few settings to medium. The Game will maybe lose 2-3% graphic quality, but might get 30-50% more fps.

Witcher 3 for example can run great in 50-60 fps, so you can just set everything to ultra, and enjoy Eye candy.

- My personal advice: The Monitor has a bit pale colors, because the Gamma curve isn't optimal. Sadly, dell doesn't include a Gamma option in the On Screen Display.

You go to Nvidia Control Center --> Color settings --> Gamma. activate Nvidia settings there (not application settings) so you can change the Gamma value. It should be 1.00 standard, but you set it to... 0.75 - 0.9 something along that range. Colors will look better, less "washed out".

That said...

What exactly did you expect better? What was your previous Monitor?

I used 60 hz before, and 144 Hz blew my Mind, especially with G-Sync combined.

Resolution bump from 1080p to 1440p: Same. It was underwhelmed. I didn't really "see" the sharpnes increase ingame as much i would've expected it. It was there but.. the Difference wasn't that big.

A few Months later, when i didn't had the monitor anymore (i switched to an Acer model because of Gamma option beeing in OSD, and had to RMA it at some point), and had to use my old 1080p screen again... then i suddenly noticed how big the Resolution difference really was.

Stuff ingame was less sharp, less detailed, and structures like vegetation, tree leaves, gras, stairs etc, did flicker MUCH more.

It's like with sound. Jump to something better, and you won't see suuuch a big difference.

Go back to the old one, and you notice how bad it was (after you got used to the better one).

Btw, don't use Fraps...use Afterburner. MUCH better, and gives you MUCH more informations.

For example, since a few Beta versions, you can let the on screen info display a live Frametime graph. So you will see the slightest frametime difference there is, and lets you see the smallest stutters (even if you don't notice them ingame). I think, it's a good indicator to see, if G-Sync is active or not.

If it's active, the Frametime graph should be perfectly even (as long you don't get framedrops because something explodes etc). 

- Aside from all that... In desktop, you can see the resolution big time, just because you have much more space on the screen (Check the Resolution scale of Windows itself.. Windows sets it to 125% standard. I set it back to 100%, to get all the space. It's not too small for me to read anything.

And of course, the 144+ Hz on Desktop usage is also always visible.

Thanks for the detailed reply! Unfortunately life is getting in the way at the moment, so I'm unable to actually play anything, or even use the new monitor...which is annoying!

14 hours ago, Darkseth said:

You WILL be able to play every game maxed out. The Questio is.. how much fps will you get.

Thanks to G-Sync, your experience will always be smooth, as long you sit below 165 fps. (Riva tuner, set fps limit to 163 (your Hz -2), and be done with it. forever smooth.).

Which means, even if the Game runs in 50 fps, it will be smooth (smooth = even consistent Frametimes, no doubled frames, no stuttering, no tearing).

You have the privilege, to set every single Game to your personal sweet spot between graphic Quality, and fps.

You need more fps in BF1 to have it smoother / less input Lag for multiplayer? Don't use ultra. Go down to High or even a few settings to medium. The Game will maybe lose 2-3% graphic quality, but might get 30-50% more fps.

Witcher 3 for example can run great in 50-60 fps, so you can just set everything to ultra, and enjoy Eye candy.

It was only a two minute test I was able to do over the weekend. I'd like to spend more time to test the improvement, it's just getting the time for it at the moment. But I was expecting quite a large improvement, something that would have been immediately noticeable. I don't know if I was just rushing and hadn't noticed.

- My personal advice: The Monitor has a bit pale colors, because the Gamma curve isn't optimal. Sadly, dell doesn't include a Gamma option in the On Screen Display.

You go to Nvidia Control Center --> Color settings --> Gamma. activate Nvidia settings there (not application settings) so you can change the Gamma value. It should be 1.00 standard, but you set it to... 0.75 - 0.9 something along that range. Colors will look better, less "washed out".

I'll give that a go at some point. I know that the monitor has different presets, such as FPS, RPG, etc...which has some obvious changes to the colours of the display. Exactly what it is doing, I'm not sure.

That said...

What exactly did you expect better? What was your previous Monitor?

I used 60 hz before, and 144 Hz blew my Mind, especially with G-Sync combined.

Resolution bump from 1080p to 1440p: Same. It was underwhelmed. I didn't really "see" the sharpnes increase ingame as much i would've expected it. It was there but.. the Difference wasn't that big.

A few Months later, when i didn't had the monitor anymore (i switched to an Acer model because of Gamma option beeing in OSD, and had to RMA it at some point), and had to use my old 1080p screen again... then i suddenly noticed how big the Resolution difference really was.

Stuff ingame was less sharp, less detailed, and structures like vegetation, tree leaves, gras, stairs etc, did flicker MUCH more.

It's like with sound. Jump to something better, and you won't see suuuch a big difference.

Go back to the old one, and you notice how bad it was (after you got used to the better one).

I'll give it more time to actually use it and see where I'm at. :)

Btw, don't use Fraps...use Afterburner. MUCH better, and gives you MUCH more informations.

For example, since a few Beta versions, you can let the on screen info display a live Frametime graph. So you will see the slightest frametime difference there is, and lets you see the smallest stutters (even if you don't notice them ingame). I think, it's a good indicator to see, if G-Sync is active or not.

If it's active, the Frametime graph should be perfectly even (as long you don't get framedrops because something explodes etc). 

Maybe I'm showing my age here...it's been many years since I've used a FPS checker...and FRAPS was the go-to application for it at the time!

- Aside from all that... In desktop, you can see the resolution big time, just because you have much more space on the screen (Check the Resolution scale of Windows itself.. Windows sets it to 125% standard. I set it back to 100%, to get all the space. It's not too small for me to read anything.

And of course, the 144+ Hz on Desktop usage is also always visible.

Yeah, I noticed I didn't get the real estate on the desktop because of the 125% scaling. I'll have a play about with that soon.

9 hours ago, chiller15 said:

Thanks for the detailed reply! Unfortunately life is getting in the way at the moment, so I'm unable to actually play anything, or even use the new monitor...which is annoying!

no worries. Life comes first^^

It was only a two minute test I was able to do over the weekend. I'd like to spend more time to test the improvement, it's just getting the time for it at the moment. But I was expecting quite a large improvement, something that would have been immediately noticeable. I don't know if I was just rushing and hadn't noticed.

Ah might explain. Give yourself a bit time to get used to all that. a few days maybe, 1-2 weeks, then try switching back. im sure, you will notice a difference.

I'll give that a go at some point. I know that the monitor has different presets, such as FPS, RPG, etc...which has some obvious changes to the colours of the display. Exactly what it is doing, I'm not sure.

i'm really not a fan of such "presets", they completely fuck up your color accuracy / -reproduction. Just in order to let you see btter in the dark for shooters or stuff like that.

it's meh.

Just let it be at standard, use the "RGB" values, to set the White Point to a good 6500k color temperature~, without having a green, blue or red tint or anything.. and that's it.

I never change my "Profile". No matter what i play, a neutral calibration is always the best. Racing games are nothing else than RPGs, or First person shooters. Just data, images that are displayed. No reason why one should need a different preset than others, since all are just images.^^

There are a few S2417dg reviews, who also share their little calibrations.

Maybe I'm showing my age here...it's been many years since I've used a FPS checker...and FRAPS was the go-to application for it at the time!

Yeah, I noticed I didn't get the real estate on the desktop because of the 125% scaling. I'll have a play about with that soon.

When using 125% scaling, you lose the "space" to work with.. but you still are using the higher sharper resolution. so, while objects have the similar size, as on a 1080p Screen, they should look sharper ^^