Enlightenment after Switched to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Review

I have installed ubuntu on my very old PC

I have 980x cpu, one of the fastest of it's time, but i have only 8 gb of ram, although my pc can have more ram, I don't feel good on investing in the old machine.

So, after thinking about it and understanding that most of my work is done on chrome and few basic application, I installed ubuntu.

Here are the applications I installed

OBS

Blender video editor and animation software open source

Gimp

virtualbox

teamviwer

vlc

deluge torrent downloader

google earth pro

Home bank -accounting software

telegram -one of the best messaging app(according to me)

so what I have experienced?

The linux is amazing, but not for those who don't even know that they can search their problems on google and find answers.

I have 8 gb ram and when I log into ubuntu it uses 1-2 gb of ram and now using chrome is so good now there is no ram problems.

I haven't realised until I installed ubuntu that I don't use my two 1tb hard drives and ubuntu don't even start them until I open then, they stay away not consuming electricity.

There is weird satisfaction in installing and configuring the machine after installing linux. Loved the ubuntu deafult but installed gnome alter and then modified it to look like windows.

I am just in a bliss of computing, linux has added a new life to the machine.

Few problems I faced, well I should say adventures,

I have found how to increase hz of monitor because my monitor support 120hz

I have nvidia card which gave some problems, but I switched to propriety drivers, things got solved there.

The most irritating was setting default sound frequency, I have connected Zoom h1 which has been set to 48khz/16bit. so VLC created a 48khz signal and chrome created 44khz which distorted the sound, so I found a way to set 48khz default.

Things are not complete, by this I mean, you have to configure your os, it's not like plug and play, but there was rarely a problem that can't be solved by simple google query.

What was eye opening for me way this.

The software that I have installed are open source, which means

That schools can install linux on as many computers as they want and big tutorial creating companies can make videos on open soft wares like blender and for illustration krita, both are open source.

Imagine life of creators they can create content without worrying about license or spending money, almost everything is free. what a amazing place this linux world is.

Plus you can cluster ubuntu machines to create a rendering farm, speed up any software. this amazing flexibility can liberate the world.

Millions of children can become programmers and graphic designers and content creators.

If a nation want to create jobs, they should install linux on every computer with in their nation.

There is a big market for linux support.

Guys if anyone is up, I am ready to create a company which create open source software and contribute in already existing ones to improve them.

while also provide support to those who are shifting to linux.

At last, I want to thank every programmer, tinkerer, contributor who helped create Linux to what it is. The real change in the world has been brought by Linux community. If there is any group of people who are constantly working for the good of all it's linux community. Feeling gratitude towards this amazing community and it's people, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Keep innovating.

I could never stay away from Windows, when I build my first PC I had Linux installed but it didn't take me very long to grab a spare copy of Windows 7 from a friend. I feel like Windows runs better than Linux.

That is a neat idea for a company, I sincerely wish you the best of luck starting and running it should you choose that path.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I could never stay away from Windows, when I build my first PC I had Linux installed but it didn't take me very long to grab a spare copy of Windows 7 from a friend. I feel like Windows runs better than Linux.

That is a neat idea for a company, I sincerely wish you the best of luck starting and running it should you choose that path.

For sure windows has to run better than Linux, else why would anyone want it. But Windows can be disrupted, see windows has one entity where it can use resources to hire and innovate, where as linux has distributed cluster of talent, which works out of passion and there is no leader who can direct that this is where we will move, so functionality of Linux depends on contribution of money and coding of people.

and I think you will prefer Linux because when any problem that will come up there will be millions of programmers who will be solving it, rather than few thousand windows programmers and solution can come from anywhere and if the solution is good, community will verify it and add it to the os.

But if you still love windows that's fine, I have been a windows user till my 22 and just shifted to linux.

More over most of the things have shifted to cloud, so OS are loosing their charm, maybe someday all the editing software and tools will be available from cloud.

Just now, chitranjan said:

For sure windows has to run better than Linux, else why would anyone want it. But Windows can be disrupted, see windows has one entity where it can use resources to hire and innovate, where as linux has distributed cluster of talent, which works out of passion and there is no leader who can direct that this is where we will move, so functionality of Linux depends on contribution of money and coding of people.

and I think you will prefer Linux because when any problem that will come up there will be millions of programmers who will be solving it, rather than few thousand windows programmers and solution can come from anywhere and if the solution is good, community will verify it and add it to the os.

But if you still love windows that's fine, I have been a windows user till my 22 and just shifted to linux.

More over most of the things have shifted to cloud, so OS are loosing their charm, maybe someday all the editing software and tools will be available from cloud.

I've used Linux on 4 different computers that all originally had Windows.

I could probably switch permanently to Linux if running things were easier, I had to go into the Terminal to launch .jar files.

I just personally feel like Linux is a lot more complicated than Windows as far as installing and running things goes.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!