Google extends Pixel 2 warranty to 2 years in response to display controversy

D13H4RD

The Pixel 2 (specifically the 2 XL) hasn’t received the most alluring and positive press in recent times, with most of them focusing on the display of the 2 XL, and not in a particularly positive light. Which was quite a shame as the phone itself, barring some cons which may or may not be obvious depending on preferences, is pretty darn good. Well, in response to these complaints, Google is extending the warranty of the Pixel 2 to 2 years.

Google also announced that it would be extending the standard one-year manufacturer warranty on the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL to two years at no extra cost. This applies to current and future Pixel 2/2 XL owners, and considering that Google reports nothing is technically wrong with the Pixel 2 XL's display, this is quite generous on its part.

Do take note that this is not the Preferred Care insurance plan that Google offers when buying a Pixel 2. It's simply an extension of the warranty that comes with all Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL purchases, meaning that you have an added year of coverage against any issues that are directly related to the manufacturing of your device.

If you want protection against accidental damage and priority repair service in addition to the now-standard two-year manufacturer's warranty, you can still purchase Preferred Care when buying your Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL for $129 per device.

Source: https://www.androidcentral.com/google-extending-two-year-warranty-pixel-2-and-pixel-2-xl

In addition, Google will be releasing a software update which will address many of the highlighted issues over the past few days.

To address concerns, a software update will soon be coming to the Pixel 2 XL (and regular Pixel 2) that'll add a new "Saturated" mode. It's unclear how much of a percentage increase in vibrancy this will be, but Google says that this will make the screen look similar to that of the first-gen Pixels with more saturation at the expense of color accuracy.

Source: https://www.androidcentral.com/google-address-pixel-2-xl-screen-issues-set-software-changes

Although Google notes that OLED panels do show signs of aging over time, a software update will roll out soon which will help reduce its effects.

We’ve received reports of Pixel 2 XL devices exhibiting image retention on the screen and have been actively investigating them. Extensive testing of the Pixel 2 XL display show that its decay characteristics are comparable to OLED panels used in other premium smartphones. The differential aging should not affect the user experience of the phone, as it’s not visible under normal use of your Pixel 2 XL. We understand, however, that it can be concerning to see evidence of aging when using a specialized display test app, so we've taken steps to reduce differential aging through software.

We designed the UI of the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL to mitigate this phenomenon from being seen by the user over the lifetime of the phone. We are continuously updating our software to safeguard the user experience and to extend the life of the OLED display. This means finding ways to ensure consistent, predictably placed, high-contrast, efficient layouts without aging the display unnecessarily. For example, the always-on-display lock-screen moves the clock in a subtle zig-zag pattern on every minute boundary. It’s almost imperceptible yet it ensures that the same pixels do not stay lit persistently.

We’re currently testing a software update that further enhances protections against this issue by adding a new fade-out of the navigation bar buttons at the bottom of the Pixel screen after a short period of inactivity. In addition, we're working with more apps to use a light navigation bar to match their app's color scheme. The update will also reduce the maximum brightness of the Pixel 2 XL by a virtually imperceptible 50 cd/m2 (nits), thereby significantly reducing load on the screen with an almost undetectable change in the observed brightness.

The new saturated color mode mentioned above, the fade-out of icons on the navigation bar, more use of a white as a navigation bar color, and the max brightness curve change will be available as an update to Pixel 2 XL in the next few weeks.

Source: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/phone-by-google/y1FWSMFcDgA;context-place=forum/phone-by-google

Does this make you feel more confident in the Pixel 2?

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

It makes me feel more confident that, were I in an upgrade period, I'd buy the cheaper and better S8.

Considering burn in was my main concern with the 2 XL, not the viewing angles, this definitely makes me a lot more confident.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

27 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Considering burn in was my main concern with the 2 XL, not the viewing angles, this definitely makes me a lot more confident.

Same. It's a significant confidence booster.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

32 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Same. It's a significant confidence booster.

I was initially worried when I saw all the stuff on the display, but when it turned out to be just color shifting at odd angles I kinda relaxed (I don't think under normal use I'll have to look at a display from those angles), but the burn in definitely was worrying me.

Now that they're gonna put stuff in software to help alleviate it over time and are also extending the warranty (Google has been known to do good things with their warranty too; I know some 6P owners got their's replaced with Pixel XLs) I'm pretty confident in buying the 2 XL. I'll probably wait until black friday and then make a purchase.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

26 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I was initially worried when I saw all the stuff on the display, but when it turned out to be just color shifting at odd angles I kinda relaxed (I don't think under normal use I'll have to look at a display from those angles), but the burn in definitely was worrying me.

Now that they're gonna put stuff in software to help alleviate it over time and are also extending the warranty (Google has been known to do good things with their warranty too; I know some 6P owners got their's replaced with Pixel XLs) I'm pretty confident in buying the 2 XL. I'll probably wait until black friday and then make a purchase.

I honestly feel that future batches should be less susceptible.

nope, would rather buy an iPhone and be bored to death by iOS

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

21 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

2 Year warranty? OH WOW! 

That is just as long as the minimum required warranty in the EU anyway! Thanks for nothing Google. 

Not too bad for some of us who only get a year's warranty.

4 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Not too bad for some of us who only get a year's warranty.

True, but I wouldn't be happy we even 2 years, let alone 1 year. I think your society should fix that problem. 

Well, apparently it’s not over yet.

They’re still investigating 

I'm curious if they'll do something similar in Europe (where the warranty on electronics is required to start at 2 years) and extend it to three.

42 minutes ago, ElfenSky said:

I'm curious if they'll do something similar in Europe (where the warranty on electronics is required to start at 2 years) and extend it to three.

Absolutely not.

13 hours ago, Morgan Everett said:

It makes me feel more confident that, were I in an upgrade period, I'd buy the cheaper and better S8.

Yeah i Thought Pixel might be my next Phone But i never pulled the Trigger on a S8 Cause Shitty Fingerprint & crap Speakers. Pixel fixed these but seem to have messed up the screen a bit. Might just wait till next april now really only 6 months away from S9

5 hours ago, ElfenSky said:

That's not a requirement at all.

49 minutes ago, Morgan Everett said:

That's not a requirement at all.

Howso? http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/faq/index_en.htm

3zjFmBd.png

2 years are required, albeit with conditions. Most of the time, the (re)seller honor it without even asking too many questions, in my experience.

In Britain, the directive has no effect, since domestic legislation supercedes it. But in British law there’s no explicit 2 year period, though you can be covered for up to 7 years. It’s at the court’s discretion.

On 10/28/2017 at 3:11 AM, Morgan Everett said:

In Britain, the directive has no effect, since domestic legislation supercedes it. But in British law there’s no explicit 2 year period, though you can be covered for up to 7 years. It’s at the court’s discretion.

Well, you're not in the EU anymore anyway, so the comment didn't apply to you in the first place ?????#Brexit #Bantz

I'll give you a pass though, I wrote "Europe" and not "the EU"

Just to make it clear: within the EU there are two types of warranties. Of course we Germans have two different words for it that both can translate to warranty in English. The one is called "Garantie" and the other one is "Gewährleistung". It's the latter one that vendors (!) have to grant customers. It means that within the first 6 months any issue or defect is being assumed to have been there in the first place when the product was bought – the vendor (!) has to take it back or offer a fix. After those first 6 months you as a buyer have to be able to prove (when challenged by the vendor) that the malfunction was there from the beginning. A "Garantie" is an addition to that. It's often granted by the manufacturers themselves and they extend the coverage of the mandatory warranty a vendor has to grant. You cuold even buy an additional warranty from an insurance company.

Apple for example by default doesn't grant you anything als then the mandatory warranty. You'd be forced to buy an Apple Care plan to extend your coverage. From my own experience though: big companies who market their own products are often very generous with accepting claims under that mandatory warranty that applies to vendors.

The thing is: Google offering a voluntary manufacturer warranty is a good step everywhere. It means that you as a customer are not forced to hassle with a vendor or carrier you bought your phone from.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

1 hour ago, ElfenSky said:

Well, you're not in the EU anymore anyway, so the comment didn't apply to you in the first place ?????#Brexit #Bantz

I'll give you a pass though, I wrote "Europe" and not "the EU"

Britain's actually still in the EU until March 2019.

On 28/10/2017 at 2:11 AM, Morgan Everett said:

it's part of the sales of goods act, not many people are aware of it, but it's handy just incase something expensive goes tits up, although it kinda spits in the face of planned obsolescence, as it means everything sold in the UK needs to be designed to last at least 5 years without a single fault occurring.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

1 hour ago, ashypanda said:

it's part of the sales of goods act, not many people are aware of it, but it's handy just incase something expensive goes tits up, although it kinda spits in the face of planned obsolescence, as it means everything sold in the UK needs to be designed to last at least 5 years without a single fault occurring.

Eh, not really. If a fault emerges after 5 years, you're going to have trouble getting any sort of remedy, unless the item is unusually expensive.

2 hours ago, Morgan Everett said:

Eh, not really. If a fault emerges after 5 years, you're going to have trouble getting any sort of remedy, unless the item is unusually expensive.

well the manufacturer or retailer has a few options though, repair or replace with new equivalent, but most people probably couldn't be arsed with the hassle or have upgraded within that time.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB