New vr backpack with no cables?

Cyril123

We don’t know the thermals at all yet. And even then we could figure something out for a potential hopefully few hours of great gaming. 

Resolution/ power, and battery life wise, that sounds great, though it looks like all it is is a MacBook clone with a detachable screen.

I expect it'll get a bit toasty under load.

@LinusTech Maybe there should be a review of this in the future?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

How do we also know it's not the Max-Q GPU and they're not telling us? :P

There's also another problem, most laptop batteries aren't design to deliver full power to reasonably high-end GPUs and CPUs due to safety concerns (more power = more amps, more amps = more heat, more heat = battery go boom). This is the main reason why performance tends to tank if you're not plugged in.

I’ve seen several laptops with high end gpus perform the same off of battery. Usually there are settings you can enable or disable in NVIDIAs control panel or windows power management to ensure it. I’ve had no issues I’m not saying it’s every laptop but there is a chance it could work. 

52 minutes ago, Cyril123 said:

I’ve seen several laptops with high end gpus perform the same off of battery. Usually there are settings you can enable or disable in NVIDIAs control panel or windows power management to ensure it. I’ve had no issues I’m not saying it’s every laptop but there is a chance it could work. 

I'm curious to know when that was and what models those were.

From what I can scour on the interwebs, laptop batteries are designed with a maximum safe discharge of no more than 2C. Going by the original Surface Book's batteries, which were 7.5V @ 2387mAH and 7.5V @ 6800mAH, at a discharge rate of 1C, this is about 69W of power. The power draw of the GTX 1060 is supposedly 80W for the normal version and 60W at the minimum for the MAX-Q version. Even if the MAX-Q version was used, 9W of power remaining isn't enough for the rest of the system. This is of course, assuming the same or similar batteries were used. You could push the discharge rate to 2C, but then you'd have a half hour of battery life.

The only way I can see this laptop pushing the same performance on battery as being plugged in is if it had a large 100WHr or more battery. And even then it won't last long. That 17 hour figure is only for basic tasks at best, "idling around doing nothing" at worst.

I’m aware the 17 hour battery is not going to be for gaming I’m being optimistic for 4 hours or so. Hopefully but to name a couple of laptops that I’ve previously had that use full power are my Alienware 14 which had a gym 860m in it which played games but capped frames at 30 FPS unless that powersavjng option was disabled. 

My current laptop my razed blade 14 with the 3200x1800 and a gtx 870m also does not have any issues while unplugged granted it gets 40 minutes or so gaming and it will die.

a third laptop I’ve owned was an Asus g73 gh which I modded to have a 7970m in it with a core I 7 740 did not have issues keeping full performance while unplugged it only lasted about 20 minutes off the wall though. 

I’m curious I’ll look into the math but I personally have not noticed any performance issues with some laptops unplugged I know that the gtx460 and a few others were known for throttling and I’m sure here are plenty of other that do but I’m just being hopeful this isn’t one. 

Also another potential solution is the battery banks that allow you to charge your laptop from them so you could still be “plugged in” I know it’s not a perfect solution just a thought.