My graduation build - How is it?

I've been saving money for a new computer after having to use a really old second-hand imac.
I have a budget of about $4500 (AUD) from saving up over the years and I'm finally splurging as a reward for graduating.
I intend to use it for games (CSGO, Destiny 2, LoL, Nier Automata, etc) as well as video editing of up to 4K video and image editing.

CPU: i7 7700K
Motherboard: ASUS - Maximus IX Formula
Graphics: GTX 1080 Ti
Memory: 2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
Storage: 500GB 960 Evo Nvme, 2TB Firecuda
Windows 10 home
(Above adds up to about $4100 AUD)

Given that I'm planning on making a switch from an apple all-in-one, I need a monitor. Any specific recommendations for that would be much appreciated.

I'd recommend getting a 1080 or 1070 Ti (whenever it's released), those titles aren't awfully demanding even at 4K as far as I've heard. Not sure if you'd be better off with a Ryzen processor considering video and image editing, so I'm not gonna recommend you one (even though I've enjoyed my R5 1600 for a while now, great for gaming and creative work).

Saving a few bucks could mean getting something better in the way of peripherals and such.

1 minute ago, JCBiggs said:

my friend, the best thing you can do with that $4500 is put it in the stock market.  take about 300 of it and buy someone's used laptop for college.  

Assuming he knows how to invest (no offence, I'm just going off of the assumption we're all not super interested in stocks). And then we have priorities: Entertainment of Investment. It's all down to what he feels like is right.

17 minutes ago, ThatGuyYouknew said:

I've been saving money for a new computer after having to use a really old second-hand imac.
I have a budget of about $4500 (AUD) from saving up over the years and I'm finally splurging as a reward for graduating.
I intend to use it for games (CSGO, Destiny 2, LoL, Nier Automata, etc) as well as video editing of up to 4K video and image editing.

CPU: i7 7700K
Motherboard: ASUS - Maximus IX Formula
Graphics: GTX 1080 Ti
Memory: 2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
Storage: 500GB 960 Evo Nvme, 2TB Firecuda
Windows 10 home
(Above adds up to about $4100 AUD)

Given that I'm planning on making a switch from an apple all-in-one, I need a monitor. Any specific recommendations for that would be much appreciated.

Where are you shopping from to have those add up to $4100? I just made a list of those on Scorptec and it totaled $3175. Get a cheaper mobo imo. As for a monitor that's good for gaming and 4K content then look at the ROG Swift PG27AQ.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

6 minutes ago, vong said:

Where are you shopping from to have those add up to $4100? I just made a list of those on Scorptec and it totaled $3175. Get a cheaper mobo imo. As for a monitor that's good for gaming and 4K content then look at the ROG Swift PG27AQ.

My bad, my figure also includes case, cooler, power supply and various software. 
Anyways, thanks for the monitor suggestion!

Sheesh, 4,000$ for that? Find some better deals and save the rest of the money. That’s really a waste, especially since coffee lake and ryzen are out.

@ThatGuyYouknew

Use au.pcpartpicker.com to assemble your build list. You can enter custom prices and items. The tool does basic compatibility checking and will estimate minimum psu requirements.

A six hyperthreaded core i7-8700K would be a better choice for the workload.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  ($549.00 @ Umart) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($139.00 @ PLE Computers) 
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-G GAMING (WI-FI AC) Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($299.00 @ Umart) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($229.00 @ Shopping Express) 
Storage: Crucial - MX300 1.1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($378.00 @ Shopping Express) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card  ($1149.00 @ Shopping Express) 
Case: Fractal Design - Define Mini C TG MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($149.00 @ Centre Com) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($148.50 @ Newegg Australia) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit  ($135.00 @ Shopping Express) 
Monitor: BenQ - GW2765HT 27.0" 2560x1440 60Hz Monitor  ($519.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Total: $3694.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-18 01:00 AEDT+1100

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 hour ago, Sevarsuab said:

Assuming he knows how to invest (no offence, I'm just going off of the assumption we're all not super interested in stocks). And then we have priorities: Entertainment of Investment. It's all down to what he feels like is right.

Its not that hard to buy index funds. 

seriously. if you just graduated high school and you have that much money, you should save it. buy used parts and build a scrap yard PC. specially for the games you want to play. or have someone build it in the US where prices are much cheaper and ship it to you.