20-30 fps games on a GTX1060 3gb

Spudow

Hello all, I'm new here, I've been watching a lot of linus' tech tips on youtube and it led me here because of my own dilemma.

Well as the title says, I'm currently running a gtx 1060 3gb on my computer and the games im playing such as Heroes of Newerth, DOTA 2, League of Legends and Dragon nest have constant 20-30 FPS, especially Dragon Nest. Though the MOBA games are running at 30-45 fps, still is this normal, or is there something wrong with my setup?

Any helpful replies will be greatly appreciated. or if there's some tweaks i could do to improve the performance?

help.png.b07c54908c0a99516bc5b78faf9411ad.png

Your processor is the bottleneck, a huge bottleneck at that. You're going to need a new mobo and processor, and maybe ram too pretty much. It simply is not going to cut it whatsoever on modern titles.

Also silly tip but it sometimes is a factor, be sure your HDMI / DP / DVI cable is plugged into the graphics card, not the motherboard.

4 minutes ago, [insert name here] said:

Your processor is the bottleneck, a huge bottleneck at that. You're going to need a new mobo and processor, and maybe ram too pretty much. It simply is not going to cut it whatsoever on modern titles.

Also silly tip but it sometimes is a factor, be sure your HDMI / DP / DVI cable is plugged into the graphics card, not the motherboard.

but its not enough to give 30 fps in all games, ive had this processor with a gtx 760 and the fps wasnt half that shit.

If you want to run the Gtx 1060 3gb at it’s max potential on low budget i can reccomend Ryzen or a good i3 can run it at it’s full potential. Depending on your motherboard

was planing on buying a Ryzen 5 1600.. is the ryzen 5 1600x better if so, how? i'm only building for games btw not rendering or videos or any stuff like that..

and what motherboard would be best for budget.. my budget for a mobo is around $200

The Ryzen 5 1600 is better, due to it being cheaper and actually coming with the cooler. You can just overclock the 1600 to achieve 1600x performance.

Try setting Nvidia drivers to performance mode and under advance make sure power management is on maximum performance but other then that yes your CPU is bottlenecking you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| - MSI Gaming X RTX3060ti 8GB ( HDMI x 1 ) - ( DP x 3 ) - |
| - 16GB Kingston Hyper Fury X DDr4 2400Mhz - OC to 3200mhz XMP Profile 1 Enabled - |
| - i5 - 10400f 6 core 12 threads 2.9Ghz Stock - 4.3Ghz Boost - |
| - MSI Z590 Pro WIFI 6E Motherboard LGA 1200 - |

| - 500GB NVME Samsung 980 Pro - |

| - WD Blue 4TB HDD 7200Rpm - |
| - Lenovo 27 Inch 75Hz Monitor D27 - 20B (HDMI) - |
| - Thermaltake Tough Power GX1 RGB 700W 80+ Gold PSU - |

| - Logitech G903 Wired/Wireless Micro USB - |
| - Logitech K120 Basic Keyboard - |
| - Razer Desk Pad - LTT Northern Lights Mouse Pad (600x300) - |
| - Intel l225-V 2.5Gbit Onboard NIC

| - Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 2.4GHz/5GHz/6GHz - |
| - Intel Bluetooth 5.2 - |
| - Internet Speeds - Download - (Download Average = 800Mbit) - |
| - Internet Speeds - Upload - (Upload Average = 40Mbit) - |

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | 

24 minutes ago, [insert name here] said:

I've been told that the monitor and HDMI cable is a factor as well? is this true? I was recommended to use an HDMI 2.0 cable.. and get a monitor with 60 refresh rate.. is this true? if it is, is it enough? Because I've seen some with 120 or 144 refresh rate..

1 minute ago, Spudow said:

I've been told that the monitor and HDMI cable is a factor as well? is this true? I was recommended to use an HDMI 2.0 cable.. and get a monitor with 60 refresh rate.. is this true? if it is, is it enough? Because I've seen some with 120 or 144 refresh rate..

It's not a factor unless you're doing high refresh rate (over 60hz) gaming and or 4K gaming.

Is the monitor cable plugged into the graphics card or the motherboard? It needs to be plugged into the graphics card.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

It is plugged to the video card.. so solving my issue would be buying a new processor, namely a ryzen 5 1600 and a new motherboard as well? what kind of motherboard should i look for that would fit a $200 budget? The ryzen 5 1600 can run its full potential as the other person said? or should i get the 1600X?

3 hours ago, Spudow said:

It is plugged to the video card.. so solving my issue would be buying a new processor, namely a ryzen 5 1600 and a new motherboard as well? what kind of motherboard should i look for that would fit a $200 budget? The ryzen 5 1600 can run its full potential as the other person said? or should i get the 1600X?

I personally don’t know a whole bunch about computers but I just build me a budget rig with a 1600 and love it. A lot better performance than my old i5-3450. 

But it personally I would recommend the Asus Strix B350 Gaming-F. Runs around $100-$130. I am very happy with it. And it looks amazing. 

That CPU wouldn't bottleneck the 1060 that hard, especially with MOBA games. Check your Nvidia control panel settings and Windows power saving settings. Check MSI afterburner for CPU and GPU load percentages. What is your power supply wattage? Is it 80+?

3 minutes ago, Alexsolo said:

Is your monitor plugged into the motherboard or the 1060 on the back of the computer?

4 hours ago, Spudow said:

4 hours ago, Spudow said:

Hello all, I'm new here, I've been watching a lot of linus' tech tips on youtube and it led me here because of my own dilemma.

Well as the title says, I'm currently running a gtx 1060 3gb on my computer and the games im playing such as Heroes of Newerth, DOTA 2, League of Legends and Dragon nest have constant 20-30 FPS, especially Dragon Nest. Though the MOBA games are running at 30-45 fps, still is this normal, or is there something wrong with my setup?

Any helpful replies will be greatly appreciated. or if there's some tweaks i could do to improve the performance?

Spoiler

help.png.b07c54908c0a99516bc5b78faf9411ad.png

Can u lend another RAM stick from friends maybe and make it Dual channel? 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

The ryzen X versions normally dont have cooler so you need to factor in a bit extra if u go that route. But that being said since all ryzen processors are unlocked i recommend personally going non X models 1600 1700 etc for that sole reason as they hv a cooler imo

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers