Why I subscribe to LTT and am a fan of LMG

thedons1983

Okay, so I posted this in another topic criticising LTT as a reply to the staff admin, but wanted to create this topic, just to to give prominence to the sometimes unheard voice of the person who actually likes what someone is doing. And, no, I am not paid by LMG, I have no affiliation with them, I have never met any one of them, and there is no cheque or not tech in the mail. This is just little old me, giving my two cents.

Sometimes, I think the trick is to absolutely ignore what people have to say. Even if it is said in good faith. The phrase, a camel is a horse designed by a committee definitely holds true. People are, of course, entitled to their own opinion, but it doesn't make their opinion necessarily correct or even valid.

Take TopGear for example. One of the biggest shows that has ever existed, was for the first twenty odd years of its' life, a show that almost no-one watched. It was, for the most part, very technical, very detailed, and ultimately rather dry. I did watch it avidly, because I love cars, but the general public could not have cared less, and it certainly wasn't a show that was marketable to other markets in other countries either. Then "new" TopGear came along and the show suddenly became far more about entertainment and far less about detail and information. I, and many other dedicated viewers, baulked at that at first, and were extremely critical of the new direction at the time, but you absolutely cannot argue against the fact that they were ultimately right to move in that direction. Suddenly, everyone was watching TopGear. All demographics now starting watching and the show just exploded (thanks in part to things like BBC America and the advent of video streaming as well of course), and was, before Clarkson et al left at least, the biggest, most watched, and most profitable programme that the BBC has ever produced. And I continued to watch every single episode that they put out moreover, despite my initial misgivings. I now watch The Grand Tour, and the new new TopGear (the second season was pretty good to be fair), and can only say that whoever had the idea to move a show about cars from being about simple car reviews and car news, to a show about entertaining stories about cars, was a genius. That is how you make content that people want to watch.

To bring it back to LMG, the first LTT video I remember watching was the video about Linus leaving his laptop in the rain. That got me hooked. Not only was it about technology, which I love, but it was also informative, funny, and took the viewer on a journey. It was personal, it was true to life, it had a surprising end, and was simply extremely watchable. The videos I have personally enjoyed the most since then have been, anything that has involved a personal story (EG, the home theater cooling video, where Linus and his son installed some fans in his TV cabinet), the same sort of videos about LMG (EG, the office move, whole room water cooling, all of the VLOGs basically), the videos where there is no real information at all necessarily but the video is just entertaining to watch (EG, Plasti Dipping a whole PC, the RGB-est build), and then finally some of the serial videos (EG, handytech under a $100). (Edit - Special mention to the $5 CPU cooler video and videos of that ilk too, as they were just amusing.)

To sum up, LMG in my opinion, should just trust their own judgement. The company is where it is because they make content that people want to watch. Don't overthink it. I might have discovered LMG on the basis of searching for information, but I stayed, for the people and the entertainment.

If you love what you do, keep doing it, and don't let things get in your way.

13 minutes ago, thedons1983 said:

ignore what people have to say.

Reminded me of this, back when I had 3 subscribers to my youtube channel:

It hurts..jpg

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

I'd like to add this too, from the topic I mentioned previosuly:

Crap thumbnails would not be a thing by the way, if the team responsible for YouTube weren't so utterly incompetent. The site is a mess, and for a content creator to maximise their revenue, they have no choice but to play the stupid YT game. That includes "clickbait" thumbnails, "clickbait" captions, editing tricks, etc, etc. YT is ultimately run for the benefit of Google and no-one else. That's fair enough, they own it after all, but it does mean that content creators are left out in the cold, left to the prey of the wolves.

Will YT exist in 50 years time? It's pretty unlikely. Something bigger and better will come along and it will be left to rot... Hey, it might even be replaced by Google (or ABC or whatever they are called these days) themselves, so this is all transient anyway.

Honestly the biggest problem with listening to your average viewer, is that your average viewer has absolutely no vision, and absolutely no concept of the big picture. That applies especially, in terms of creating video content or running a business. If the average viewer actually did have any comprehension of how to create content that people would want to watch or how to run a successful media company, then they would be out there producing their own content and running their own company, rather than moaning on a forum or YT comment section.

2 hours ago, thedons1983 said:

The videos I have personally enjoyed the most since then have been, anything that has involved a personal story (EG, the home theater cooling video, where Linus and his son installed some fans in his TV cabinet), the same sort of videos about LMG (EG, the office move, whole room water cooling, all of the VLOGs basically), the videos where there is no real information at all necessarily but the video is just entertaining to watch (EG, Plasti Dipping a whole PC, the RGB-est build), and then finally some of the serial videos (EG, handytech under a $100). (Edit - Special mention to the $5 CPU cooler video and videos of that ilk too, as they were just amusing.)

The videos that have a personal backstory are the ones I enjoy watching the most, too. Handy tech under $100 is great, I agree on that too. What I find annoying is stuff like the Pizza Heater or Anti-RGB build (that didn't even work in the end). Because with those I fell the whole clickbait concept actually carries over from the thumbnail to the actual content.

3 hours ago, thedons1983 said:

Okay, so I posted this in another topic criticizing LTT

literally need a new thread for this just talking shit to LTT and they pay someone a part time salary to refute there claims and fight everyone back. xDxD 

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

1 minute ago, Eduard the weeb said:

literally need a new thread for this just talking shit to LTT and they pay someone a part time salary to refute there claims and fight everyone back. xDxD 

As amusing as that thought would be, I would be surprised if Linus or anyone at LMG actually paid, or promoted anyone to talk praise about LTT. For as much as they take in criticism, they don't act like they need to create an opposite force to the criticism.

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

As amusing as that thought would be, I would be surprised if Linus or anyone at LMG actually paid, or promoted anyone to talk praise about LTT. For as much as they take in criticism, they don't act like they need to create an opposite force to the criticism.

yeah that would actually waste company resources, and dumb decisions could lead down a path of a certain company. 

image.png.69b4b59e8ba0b2ba1234f847d3152d87.png

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

Just now, Eduard the weeb said:

yeah that would actually waste company resources, and dumb decisions could lead down a path of a certain company. 

I can't even touch that one because I haven't seen an NCIX video in such a long time. Everyone I currently watch included what NCIX talked about, and if I wanted a specific set of details.. well I already had a channel for that.

So I really don't know what happened other than they just keep going.

I can't even touch that one because I haven't seen an NCIX video in such a long time. Everyone I currently watch included what NCIX talked about, and if I wanted a specific set of details.. well I already had a channel for that.

So I really don't know what happened other than they just keep going.

everyone left there team at the YouTube channel they are only getting out about weekly videos now because of Riley I think 

Just now, Eduard the weeb said:

everyone left there team at the YouTube channel they are only getting out about weekly videos now because of Riley I think 

That's unfortunate but not surprising. The tech section of YouTube is pretty saturated and NCIX isn't doing too well as a company. Not a good mix.

That's unfortunate but not surprising. The tech section of YouTube is pretty saturated and NCIX isn't doing too well as a company. Not a good mix.

yeah they talked about it a bit on wan show last week maybe two weeks ago. Amazon and Newegg probably killed them tbh because they normally had better deals and also prime was nicer then whatever shipping they had in the end of the day and Newegg also has better deals on tech most of the time, but the 50$ to build your system for you was actually not bad because the person my dad thinks should build my computer because he thinks I am not qualified enough is trying to charge us 150$.

1 minute ago, Eduard the weeb said:

yeah they talked about it a bit on wan show last week maybe two weeks ago. Amazon and Newegg probably killed them tbh because they normally had better deals and also prime was nicer then whatever shipping they had in the end of the day and Newegg also has better deals on tech most of the time, but the 50$ to build your system for you was actually not bad because the person my dad thinks should build my computer because he thinks I am not qualified enough is trying to charge us 150$.

I believe they also had stocking issues not too long ago that started some of this downhill trend? I'd really be interested in a timeline of things that didn't go right. As it stands, they weren't that more expensive and it should have been cheaper in Canada, and especially if you wanted a prebuilt system that was hopefully done by professionals. It just seems odd to me that they had a steady decline and then went essentially right off a cliff.

Thread cleaned.

Please keep the Community Stnadards in mind when interacting with others ;

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !