So my current rig is

i7 4790

H81I mini itx mobo

8gb ram

GTX 1070

450W PSU

500Gb SSD

The system above works, and Ive been using it for a while

I recently bought 32gb of ram 4x8gb, got a pretty good deal on it and a used motherboard off kijiji because the itx mobo only have 2 slots

The mobo is an Asus Z87-K

I plugged everything in and the pc turns on but no post.

Then I put in a i3 4130 and it boots into windows fine, everything works, so I know the motherboard isn't dead

I followed a few guides online, I upgraded the bios to the lastest version on asus' website, but it still wouldn't boot with the i7 4790.

Other things I've tried:

-swap out the rams, I used the old ram and new ram, swapping up the slots and trying 1 dim at a time, no luck.

-reset cmos

-remove GPU

-unplug everything except monitor, with VGA and DVI cable.

Nothing seems to work, Please help me!

might not have a Devils Canyon BIOS or limited support for them? pretty strange though

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

Strange... Works with same gen i3

You i7 might be broken

Nope my i7 works with the H81 ITX motherboard, Im actually using it right now as im typing, and been using it for photoshop, lightroom, premiere, and gaming on it. Works perfectly fine

1 minute ago, Ethocreeper said:

Strange... Works with same gen i3

You i7 might be broken

same gen but diffrent revisions, devils canyond came with a new motherboard series aswell so they are kind of 4.5th gen. Z87 boards dont come with native support for them AFAIK and need a BIOS update that supports them

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

might not have a Devils Canyon BIOS or limited support for them? pretty strange though

I checked asus website before buying, it supports my cpu

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

same gen but diffrent revisions, devils canyond came with a new motherboard series aswell so they are kind of 4.5th gen. Z87 boards dont come with native support for them AFAIK and need a BIOS update that supports them

says it on here that it supports it

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/Z87K/HelpDesk_CPU/

Just now, Pooherino ツ said:

I checked asus website before buying, it supports my cpu

try going for the BIOS version that added the support if its not latest and see if that boots it, and seeing as you are not in the EU you can also try contacting the support without getting basically a bitchslap back lol

Builds:

Spoiler

Updating the BIOS can't hurt (unless it goes wrong) and will probably fix the issue.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

31 minutes ago, Pooherino ツ said:

Then I put in a i3 4130 and it boots into windows fine, everything works, so I know the motherboard isn't dead

I followed a few guides online, I upgraded the bios to the lastest version on asus' website, but it still wouldn't boot with the i7 4790.

May I ask how you upgraded the BIOS? Did you do it through the windows utility or directly through the BIOS?

I ask because every Asus Z87 board I have come across so far (several As and Ks specifically) have had silly issues with the updated BIOS "sticking" and it automatically reverting to the older BIOS.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

10 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Updating the BIOS can't hurt (unless it goes wrong) and will probably fix the issue.

heh i break a lot of boards.

The geek himself.

19 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

did u read the post? i did update the bios

19 minutes ago, ApolloX75 said:

May I ask how you upgraded the BIOS? Did you do it through the windows utility or directly through the BIOS?

I ask because every Asus Z87 board I have come across so far (several As and Ks specifically) have had silly issues with the updated BIOS "sticking" and it automatically reverting to the older BIOS.

I downloaded the file, extract it on to a usb, boot into bios, go into tools, click on bios update flash (cant remember exactly the name), then I click on the file, and it ask me "do you want to read this file" i clicked yes, it said "do you want to upgrade bios" I clicked yes. and it start to load and then when it done it resets itself. and I double checked, the bios version number changed to the one I installed. So yeah im pretty sure its upgraded. I resetted the computer a few times too, it still in the same version.